Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Laws in New York state

Sparkle1Sparkle1 Posts: 1
edited November -1 in Trying to Conceive
Hi everyone, I'm new here and I was wondering if there are any other New York residents in this community. I wanted to see how ordering vials worked so I just went through a few steps in the process and I came upon a screen that specifically asked if I'm a resident of New York or Georgia because it appears that their laws are slightly different in terms of receiving donor sperm and self inseminating. Does anyone happen to know if all artificial insemination including ICI legally needs to be performed by a physician in New York state? Like I said I'm really new at this and it's been extremely frustrating so far and that was just one more possible bump in the road that discouraged me. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. I'm doing this all by myself.

Comments

• Options
    Leo1227Leo1227 Posts: 5
    edited November -1
    I don't know exactly what the laws are but I think it has more to do with being under a physician's care and having them ok it vs .them having to do it. I am using an RE so didn't look into it further but they did have to sign a form and send back to NW. I'm in Georgia.
  • Options
    tattoofan24tattoofan24 Posts: 9
    edited November -1
    @Sparkle1 - Hi! I am also in NYS and just ordered to receive ICI vials at home with no problem. That being said, I previously was under the care of a RE and have all of that information still on my account, so that might have made the difference.
    Attempted the TTC game from 2013-2015 with much heartache and one c/p. Pulled out almost all the stops, including two fresh IVF cycles and two frozen. Diagnosed with endometriosis and have had two surgeries since 2013.

Fast forward three years and a divorce later, my girlfriend and I are holding out hope that it just wasn't meant to be for me in my previous life and we're giving it a go at home. Maybe we are crazy, but we sure do have some hope.
  • Options
    clfkikclfkik Posts: 9
    edited November -1
    Hi there! My wife and I moved from Florida to New York and we were surprised that we needed a doctor's release to get our already purchased/stored sperm shipped to our house for home insemination. I had a pap smear done before we started TTC and I asked my OBGYN if he would sign off on our paperwork and he agreed. We can get our vials shipped to our home now. You put the doctor's e-mail into a field and they get sent the paperwork to sign. My doctor had an issue where he never got the email so I had NWCryobank fax it to their office and then the office faxed it back. NWCryobank processed it quickly once they got it. Still it took me about 5 days to get it all sorted out because he wasn't in the office for a long weekend. So do the paperwork in advance! You only have to get it signed once and then it goes in your file.
  • Options
    brittanyhbrittanyh Posts: 7
    edited November -1
    Hello,

All New York clients are able to perform an at home insemination as long as the clients physician completes a physicians authorization form.

Thanks,
    Brittany