Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

how to gift donor sperm to a relative

I'm having a hard time finding the right way to phrase information to get answers that make more sense. We have 2 leftover vials from a sperm donor we purchased through NWCryobank. We had the vials transferred to a storage facility closer to us (in our state) as per the request of the clinic we went to. I had succesful pregnancies with a different donor and no longer need these vials. My sister is TTC (as a single woman) and we thought it would be a simple process to gift her 2 vials of this donor sperm. What I thought would be an easy process is actually quite complex. The IVF clinic needs paperwork from both of us stating she can use the donor sperm. The storage facility says that because we didn't PURCHASE the vials through them, I can't sign them over to my sister. NW Cryobank is saying because the sperm left their facility, they can't allow us to transfer the vials over to my sister, nor will they give her (or us, because of our honesty with the desire to offer my sister the sperm) any information about the donor for future reference if she was to get pregnant by that donor.

I do understand the liability and other risks involved (from the POV of the storage facility and NW Cryobank), but it seems like if my sister and I are willing to sign paperwork or fill out a form or write something up, it should become an option.

This was supposed to be a simple gift to my sister. The options I see now are as follows:

1) I get rid of the sperm (and the monthly storage fee I am currently paying) and too bad, so sad for my sister. (Not preferred)

2) I hire a lawyer ($$$) to figure out how to sign the donor sperm over to her

3) We both lie and have to figure out how to keep the lie straight for the next 18-20 years. (not an option really)

4) I reach out on this forum and hopefully find a way to be able to make this gift without spending $100s to $1000s in fees.

I am incredibly overwhelmed at how complicated this turned out to be and hope to find a helpful ear on this forum.