Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.

happycalm (or anyone who can help)--question about acupuncture

twondratwondra Posts: 81
edited November -1 in Trying to Conceive
Hi Happycalm!

I see you're an acupuncturist and was wondering what was the recommended treatment before IVF or a FET. Last year, I went once a week for a couple months before my FET. My acupuncturist told me I actually only had to go every couple weeks but I insisted on at least once a week. Some people I know go more than that, up to 2-3 times a week. Do you know what is recommended? Thank you so much for your help!!
Tammy and Mark...TTC since 2003
12 failed IUIs, 1 failed IVF after rare fertilized eggs not dividing, Adopted 3 perfect embies in April 2010--BFN.
Undergoing FET with 3 adopted embies spring 2011
www.twondra.blogspot.com
www.freewebs.com/twondra Mark's transplant journey

Comments

• minnie0672minnie0672 Posts: 1,264
    edited November -1
    Tammy...I'm doing acupuncture. I go once a week to my acupuncturist. In addition though, my RE's office is actually in conjunction with a very well known health/wellness center called the Domar Center (look it up), they actually do a program where we can get acupuncture before our insem as well as after. The acupuncturist then suggested that I wait until Saturday to get another acupuncture treatment (I had gone on Monday for my double treatment and my IUI)...today I went again and my regular acupuncturist said to come again on Wednesday.

hope that helps. If you have other questions email me :)
    6 IUI's resulting in BFN. 7th IUI was the fun one with pregnant...then not...then ectopic at 7 weeks...IVF #1 - miscarriage...IVF #2 miscarriage 5w6d...IVF #3 cancelled due to not growing embryos and pneumonia...IVF# 4 same old story...BFP then miscarriage...this is getting old...onto possibly Donor Egg or Donor Embryo
  • happycalmhappycalm Posts: 8
    edited November -1
    It's really hard to say how often you should go because that would really be based on your individual situation and diagnosis (something that can really only be determined in person after a consultation).

Having said that, I think you'll want to go regularly to keep everything in tune. TTC is hugely stressful, even when it's fun and exciting. I think once a week is not too often to keep the mind and body grounded and peaceful on the journey. 2-3 times a week can be optimal when working to shift particular symptoms.

Some guidelines say that a treatment just before and just after an IVF treatment can be helpful (i.e. the day before or the morning of and then a day or two afterwards). But you'll want to be going well before that to make sure there is good blood and qi flow to the uterus leading up to the transfer (and hopefully, implantation).

Be sure to keep your lower abdomen warm (not hot). You can periodically place your hand on your abdomen and feel it's temperature. If it's cool to the touch, mention this to your practitioner. You can use a heating pad, dress warmly, etc. You can also use something called a moxa stick to help warm the abdomen and uterus. Your practitioner may be willing to provide one to you and teach you how to use it.

Does this help?
  • twondratwondra Posts: 81
    edited November -1
    Yes, that helps so much you guys! I appreciate your input so much. I've never head of the moxa stick and so I'm definitely going to bring that up.

Thank you so much!!! (((HUGS)))
    Tammy and Mark...TTC since 2003
    12 failed IUIs, 1 failed IVF after rare fertilized eggs not dividing, Adopted 3 perfect embies in April 2010--BFN.
    Undergoing FET with 3 adopted embies spring 2011
    www.twondra.blogspot.com
    www.freewebs.com/twondra Mark's transplant journey
  • LovingMomsLovingMoms Posts: 1,078
    edited November -1
    Question?

Why is it importany to keep the abdomen warm after an iui or ivf?
    July 2011 BFP, miscarried at 5 weeks.
    aW7Dm4.png
  • minnie0672minnie0672 Posts: 1,264
    edited November -1
    i had never heard of the warm thing either but it certainly makes sense now as to why the acupuncturist wrapped me in one of those metalic blankets and had a heat lamp on me :)
    6 IUI's resulting in BFN. 7th IUI was the fun one with pregnant...then not...then ectopic at 7 weeks...IVF #1 - miscarriage...IVF #2 miscarriage 5w6d...IVF #3 cancelled due to not growing embryos and pneumonia...IVF# 4 same old story...BFP then miscarriage...this is getting old...onto possibly Donor Egg or Donor Embryo
  • happycalmhappycalm Posts: 8
    edited February 2011
    "Question?
    Why is it importany to keep the abdomen warm after an iui or ivf?" ---LovingMoms

Basically, the uterus should be a warm, cozy home for implantation with plenty of blood and qi to support implantation. A cool/cold abdomen can point to "cold in the uterus"--one possible barrier to fertility. But it's generally a concern leading up to ovulation/implantation or transfer. Not so much after because the presence of a growing embryo serves as a source of heat itself and overheating at that point could disturb a pregnancy.

Having said that, I don't mean to send everyone who is ttc running scared if their lower abdomen is cool to the touch. A diagnosis of cold uterus is way more complicated than that as is the treatment for this condition.

Also, I see a discussion of heating pads in another thread. Obviously, if anyone has any worries or concerns about using one, don't. I would always ask your practitioners (acupuncturist, RE, OB, etc.) about your situation. Moxabustion on the abdomen is a much better way to warm the uterus anyway. This should only be done by an acupuncturist or by someone who has been taught to use a moxa stick by their practitioner.

Responding to questions in a public forum is a tricky business. Not something I've done before. I have to say I'm ambivalent about it. On the one hand, I want to be helpful. On the other, I have no control over how the info is received and don't want to feed anxiety and worry. Sometimes a little information can be misinterpreted. Something for me to think about, I guess.
  • LovingMomsLovingMoms Posts: 1,078
    edited November -1
    Thank you for the information. Very interesting information and something to think about in the future!
    July 2011 BFP, miscarried at 5 weeks.
    aW7Dm4.png