Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.

Dewar Day Drama...Help.

Jccwill3Jccwill3 Posts: 687
edited March 2012 in Trying to Conceive
So, I ordered 2 vials this month and they are set to be delivered on Wednesday, march 28. But now I find out that my father has to go in for open-heart surgery that day to replace his defibrillator. And naturally, I want to be there before, during and after.... Sometimes it helps to know people are waiting and pray....I'm sure we can all attest to that.

But what about the dewar?! FFhas my O date calculated from april 3-7. So what do you guys think? Should I move my dewar date up or back? asked my dad and he was like there's nothing you can do just go home and wait and I'll be fine. He's so cute. :cool:

BTW, the surgery is at 6 am...and will probably be about 5 hours. What time do your dewars arrive, TTCers? Early, late i the day? I know there a confirmation tracking number but since its really just a time window, it probably won't be to helpful. I want to make sure I'm here when it arrives.

Now call me neurotic, bmy neighbor across the street is a registered nurse and a great friend, I know that she would stay here and sign for the delivery if need be. But the thing is.... I feel like its my baby already. I dont want it moved or touched or sitting so where hot, etc.

Now it's one thing if I screw it up...fx crossed I dont....but if someone else was resposible and damaged my "goods", I'd be furious. Beyond furious.

So? Opinions, suggestions? I'll even take a snide remark or two just for fun but please.... :D ....help me!

Comments

• ABC4ABC4 Posts: 21
    edited November -1
    I don't have to sign for the package, mine arrives between 1-5pm. Sometimes I have not been home when it's delivered and they just leave it on my front porch. I live in a secluded neighborhood in the country and usually no one messes with anything. Also, I would think it would be ok to have your neighbor watch for the package, you would know if she opened it, it is taped up pretty well and in order to open the tank you have to cut the zip tie. You could always have it arrive the following day too.
  • ExcitedExcited Posts: 110
    edited November -1
    Yeah, I agree I didn't have to sign for mine either...I was on my way out the door and my dewar was on the way upstairs (via ups man :) ) He just scanned the box and sat it down. I signed up to get text messages on the where abouts of my package until it got to me ( you can sign up on the ups page with your tracking number). About 5 mins after he scanned my box I got a text saying package delivered. So if you sign up for the message alerts, and you're not there to receive your package, then maybe you can run by the house to get your baby and take it in the safety of your home once you get the delivered message.
    1328746232038.jpg
    Together since 5/30/2009 In Love Since We Met
    I'm on your left, DP on your right (I will carry)
    1st attempt will be 3/2012 So Excited
  • 1baby1day1baby1day Posts: 520
    edited November -1
    Since you won't o until the next week, I think that you could always move the shipment. Maybe get it delivered on Thursday or Friday...or even Monday.
    pic1a-1.jpg
    My baby, Stella ~ My nephew Alex and I (Denise) at Thanksgiving 2010
    10 TTC's over 15 months - all BFN
  • JayJayJayJay Posts: 1,192
    edited November -1
    I agree with 1baby....if ff has you set to o the 3rd or later, I would move your shipment out. If I were you, I would personally have it delivered Friday....Monday if I was super confident that I wouldn't o early. If it arrives Wednesday and you don't o until the 7th you could have to pay additional fees. Besides having that dewar sitting there for too many days can be stressful!

I hope your dads surgery goes well. I would feel the same way as you - you couldn't make me leave that hospital! I'm sorry you are having to go through that. Best to you, your dad and your swimmers!
  • old mamaold mama Posts: 4,682
    edited November -1
    I would definitely move the day--I would go for Tues. so the stress is OFF and you know it is there. Contact NW TODAY asap...it will cost you for next day delivery! Don't leave it sitting out. If someone takes it you will be hit with a huge bill from NW. My dad had open heart surgery and he may be feeling pretty rough for a few days and you may want to be there with him. Best luck to both of you!
  • TheMysticalOneTheMysticalOne Posts: 850 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know you used to be able to have the dewar just shipped to your local UPS store, where they'll hold it for you until you're ready to get it. If you don't feel safe having the dates changed, you might want to look into that. Then you'll know it's safe and you can get it at your convenience.
  • JayJayJayJay Posts: 1,192
    edited November -1
    I always have it shipped to and held at the UPS store. I think you have to have prior arrangements with some of the UPS stores, but if you have a UPS hub near you, you can have it shipped and held there as well. If you go to UPS.com you cab type in your zip and a list of nearby locations will pop up.
  • Jccwill3Jccwill3 Posts: 687
    edited March 2012
    ABC4 wrote:
    I don't have to sign for the package, mine arrives between 1-5pm. Sometimes I have not been home when it's delivered and they just leave it on my front porch. I live in a secluded neighborhood in the country and usually no one messes with anything. Also, I would think it would be ok to have your neighbor watch for the package, you would know if she opened it, it is taped up pretty well and in order to open the tank you have to cut the zip tie. You could always have it arrive the following day too.

I also live in a relatively excluded neighborhood. But that can also be a downfall because my house is in a gated community, UPS would still have to be left in them in from the front gate.

So the plot thickens...if no one answers then they can't come in :o.
    And also, I live in Florida so I'm thinking leaving the dewar on the porch is just too risky. If they thaw, I'll be devastated. :(
    edited November -1
    I'd just like to thank all you ladies for your great advice! I was able to call NW and changed my date to the 30th. :D and I thank you all for your well wishes for my daddy. Fx crossed for good vibes all around.
  • graceinflgraceinfl Posts: 1,743
    edited November -1
    I wish your dad much success and a speedy recovery with his surgery.

As for delivery, I would postpone it a few days because you may not even O as early as April 3 because of the stress with your dad's surgery also. How long have you been tracking your cycles? Is FF pretty right on with projected dates?
    edited March 2012
    graceinfl wrote:
    I wish your dad much success and a speedy recovery with his surgery.

As for delivery, I would postpone it a few days because you may not even O as early as April 3 because of the stress with your dad's surgery also. How long have you been tracking your cycles? Is FF pretty right on with projected dates?

Well, I've actually only been charting for a month but I'm pretty fortunate because I can literally tell you the second I ovulate...and my temps and opk was positive confirmation. I can literally feel it....lol like that creepy little boy in Scary Movie. Heh.

And I just recently lost my best friend, my baby girl.... :( My 9 yo Chihuahua Chanel. So I'm inconsolable already and there'd are a lot of major pressures in my life right now. But nothing more important than my baby's passing and my dates surgery.

I've recently asked a friend... Do you think grief has the same effect on ovulation?
    the thing is my 41 day cycles are soooooooo long ...I'd have to wait to try again until next time; that seems like forever.

Well, it seems like forever for all of us I'm sure. :/

What do you all think, should I move back my order more....? ::whines:: I always seek the
    wise advice of you TTCing pros.