Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.

Tampon applicator method?

Jccwill3Jccwill3 Posts: 687
edited March 2012 in Trying to Conceive
Well, I've been rummaging through the boards looking for some posts on using the tap on applicator method using it as a guide for the catheter.

That instead cup looks so scary but... I might just have to suck it up and take one for the swim team.

Has anyone had any experience with this method? Any BFPs? Any tips?

Comments

• old mamaold mama Posts: 4,682
    edited November -1
    I've never tried to do the cath. like that. I have had better luck just by feel. If you decide to use that cup I suggest trying to get it in prior to the actual day...some women have good luck but it just keeps popping out for me. I finally gave up!
  • mrslebrewmrslebrew Posts: 344
    edited November -1
    We used the cup this month, in our tww now. I'll keep you posted. My Dw inserts it after the KD puts the specimen into it.
    sGRVCbm.jpgsGRVm4.png
    picture365.jpg
  • annerbonesannerbones Posts: 1,812
    edited November -1
    I did it and it was a huge failure. If you were to ask my opinion I would say do not use the tampon applicator. SPend teh money and get the speculum they are cheap and way easier to operate.
    raF7m7.png
    Progesterone therapy and baby aspirin daily

Two miscarriages in between (August 2012 - same donor as Maggie, and December 2014 with husband)
    Maggie
    PNa0m7.png
  • friendamyfriendamy Posts: 588
    edited November -1
    I used the tampon applicator each time and for me, it was easy and accurate. I tried a speculum, but I needed 8 more hands... and I'm just not bendy enough LOL

I used a plastic tampon applicator - tampax pearl - I removed the cotton tampon and the plastic "pusher". the little "star" at the tip of the applicator was a little close, so I snipped the tips to make a hole kind of. :) I'd get the syringe/cath ready first, then insert the tampon applicator like I was inserting it. once it was where it needed to go, I'd put the cath into the hole and go all the way till the syringe was in (or almost in) the applicator.

I could kind of feel the catheter touching "me" inside do I knew it was there. I'd pull the applicator out a bit (the syringe stopped it) then depressed the syringe plunger and kind of spun it around to coat the area. then I'd pull the whole thing out and watch a movie or whatever :)
    Amy (39)
    DS (7) - d#470
    Boy, n.: a noise with dirt on it.

age.png
  • old mamaold mama Posts: 4,682
    edited November -1
    Might have to try that. Last time my cath was bent when I took it out..not sure exactly where those swimmers went!
  • blaine66blaine66 Posts: 12
    edited November -1
    we had tried previous and got a BFP that resulted in complications and miscarriage. Having said this, we do have some bloopers and shortened learning curves we can share about at home AI. We used the speculum method, and found the easiest way was with a metal speculum or sturdy plastic that you are able to open and leave open without hands. the head lamps that you can purchase at any sporting goods store work great, as you are hands free to use both your hands for the AI. we also have experience in using the instead cup, and would say that this was a success in terms of keeping the swimmers in the general area of where they need to be. they appear a lot scarier than they actually are, and after you fold them in half and insert, they pop right into place. hope this helps:)
    294791_770651278352_185102435_38060897_625172557_n.jpg