Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.

How Long Did You Wait After Miscarriage to TTC Again?

TheMysticalOneTheMysticalOne Posts: 850 ✭✭
edited November -1 in Trying to Conceive
So I've been off the boards for a while, since I couldn't try right away, but I'll probably be back on and off now. It's been a tough couple months, but I'm getting through it and thinking about TTC again.

I know quite a few of you have lost your babies early on and I was just wondering how long you waited after a miscarriage to try again? The doctor suggested 3-6 months, but I think this is a long time. The nurse said something about making sure the area where the baby implanted was all healed up, even though I did NOT have a D&C. Plus I thought your lining sheds every month anyway? I don't know...

I was considering trying in either July (after 2 periods) or August (after 3). I lost the baby around 7 weeks (back in April).

I know everyone's different. Some people take a long time and others are ready to try right away. How long did you wait? Thanks!

Comments

• GaBeekeeperGaBeekeeper Posts: 916
    edited November -1
    With my first BFP that resulted in a early loss at just 5 weeks I got my BFP in October and we went right into the next cycle.
    With my loss of the twins at 21 weeks, I have waited a year.

Good luck!
    pqkom4.png
    FxZxm4.pngcarousel_zps296ade6d.jpg
  • mommylovemommylove Posts: 1,582
    edited November -1
    After our first miscarriage we waited for a few cycles. Mostly for emotional healing rather than physical.
    We had another miscarriage after that one, but decided to go right back to TTC the following cycle once my period had returned. We got another BFP (the one that resulted in our beautiful son) immediatly after that last miscarriage.

It is interesting that your doc suggested you wait so long. My doc said we'd actual be more fertile after a miscarriage and if we felt up to it (from an emotional standpoint) that she would fully support that. I hear that from a lot of people, the being more fertile immediatly after a m/c, and obviously in our case it certainly didn't hurt as we were pregnant with our son immediatly following that last miscarriage.

Anyway, you have to of course decide what feels right for you. Having been through those losses, I of course know it isn't easy...hang in there! I hope when you decide to TTC again that your sticky BFP comes quickly.
    be422225-267e-4ff7-94c0-a8d5baf3176a_zpse0970fea.jpg
    October 2014

Dk5Zm7.png

22gfm7.png
  • TheMysticalOneTheMysticalOne Posts: 850 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey mommylove, I've also heard that a woman is more fertile after a loss. Do you know how long this increased fertility lasts? Is it just the the following cycle or longer? Thanks for the early replies!!
  • mommylovemommylove Posts: 1,582
    edited November -1
    You know, I don't know the answer to that...I wonder if it is something that lingers or fades immediatly. Hm... for your sake I hope the increased fertility sticks around for a little longer!
    :-) All I know is that my doc said it was best to try that very next cycle as long as HCG was back to zero and I had gotten a normal period, which I did.
    be422225-267e-4ff7-94c0-a8d5baf3176a_zpse0970fea.jpg
    October 2014

Dk5Zm7.png

22gfm7.png
  • GaBeekeeperGaBeekeeper Posts: 916
    edited November -1
    I don't know an exact answer to that either, but just from my experiences, I think it last for a bit. For example, this cycle I have not been on any high dosage of meds, but I have responded quite nicely and I just feel like my body knows what to do this time.
    pqkom4.png
    FxZxm4.pngcarousel_zps296ade6d.jpg
    edited November -1
    Well I'll tell ya what--this has been an amazing ovulation for me this cycle. Nice, long ovulation day with cramps and all--great cm, even better than usual. If only we could handpick the cycle, the egg, and the sperm and everything would be perfect. lol.

But seriously, there's so many mixed reviews on WHEN to try again. Some people get pregnant right away, others wait a really long time. I've read online that the only reason doctors ask you to wait a few months is so that they can better predict your due date! Don't know if this is true or not. But I would like to take advantage of good ferility while I'm feeling...fertile! So, maybe I'll be trying next month? I know I need something to get me moving again. Charting, OPK's, picking a donor-- anything sounds good right now! This waiting around is terrible!!

By the way--has the way ovulation feels changed any after m/c? My ovulation used to be actual cramps on one side, now it feels like a sort of all over ache from my ovary on one side, to my uterus. I've noticed this in the last two times I've ovulated since. Did any of you notice a change? I figure everything's fine since my last period was right on time (like clockworm) and that my cm was pretty much amazing.
  • graceinflgraceinfl Posts: 1,743
    edited November -1
    I believe that my doctor said increased fertility after a miscarriage is about 3 months. I am glad you are back.
    edited November -1
    Thanks Grace, by the way you are all pushing me towards July whether you know it or not. lol. I'm SOOOoooo eager to try! :)
  • graceinflgraceinfl Posts: 1,743
    edited November -1
    Yay! I am glad to hear that! I wanted to mention that I felt O stronger following a miscarriage. Good luck.
  • HopefulVHopefulV Posts: 114
    edited November -1
    I miscarried at 10 and a half weeks, my doctor said I had to wait 6 weeks...but that is because I had a D & C and it takes that long for the cervix to recover. He said otherwise, I was free to try as soon as I felt emotionally up to it.
    Achieved a pregnancy in 2009, miscarried at 9 weeks. Tried to conceive "normal way" until 4/2011, discovered that is not possible. DH sperm, doesn't swim.
    ICI #1 12/22/11 - Chemical PG ICI #2 6/14/12....BFN ICI #3 7/15/12...BFN Final ICI #4 8/11/12....BFN IUI #1 9/?.....

tt147444.aspx
  • FlowergirlFlowergirl Posts: 2,040
    edited November -1
    Little late here but just wanted to mention... For the benefit of anyone reading later, etc.

I miscarried at 11-1/2 weeks (baby had been doing great a week and a half before that) and had a D&C. I was told I needed to wait 3 months for my uterus and cervix. Not 3 cycles necessarily, as I don't always cycle regularly, just 3 months worth of time.

My friend just miscarried and she was supposed to be about 10 weeks pregnant, but baby only measured 7 weeks and had been dead for awhile they presumed. She also had a D&C but her Dr told her that she was only 7 weeks and there was no need to wait to try again if she didn't want to.

Her Dr and mine are husband and wife and are a team at our clinic. I def think sometimes it depends on your situation, how far along you actually were, how much they had to dilate your cervix for D&C possibly, etc. Other times, I think the dr just has a standard opinion, etc that they go with and that's what they recommend, no matter the situation.
    After 9 yrs & 1 devastating loss, we got our BFP at 9DPO ~ and welcomed our beautiful son on Halloween! Best treat ever!!

a3cmlv.jpg
    edited November -1
    Hey Flowergirl & Hopeful. Thanks for the replies.

I didn't need a D&C and passed naturally, for which I'm thankful for. I think my body is already back into the swing of things. Since some of you girls had a D&C and started again in three months or less I'm probably going to do the same thing. I'm getting tired of waiting, especially since there was no surgery involved. Follow up appointment was May 2 and he said everything looked good. It'll be three months in July when I start again, so I think that's good timing.
  • mrslebrewmrslebrew Posts: 344
    edited November -1
    Am glad you are getting back into the game. I've been thinking about you. We actually started trying right away. We did one AI just to see if we could catch that egg. Waiting now for AF or BFP! Good luck to you with whatever you decide. Hopefully you and I get our BFP soon.
    sGRVCbm.jpgsGRVm4.png
    picture365.jpg