Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

clearblue digital OPK- meaning of lines?

sonja.bossartsonja.bossart Posts: 24
edited November -1 in Trying to Conceive
I am tracking for TTC #2. I've already ordered 2 vials of my chosen donor. I'll be having them shipped when I feel I've confidently pinpointed ovulation within 12 to 24 hours - hopefully that won't take long.

I am 27, no fertility issues, very regular cycles - always 29 days, and I usually ovulate around cd 16 to 17.
I'm using clearblue digital opk's NOT fertility monitor - I think some people confuse that, and say that the cbe opk's measure estrogen and LH and that explains the lines - I know that, the fertility monitor measures estrogen and LH, and you can sort of scrutinize the lines on their test strips to see a gradual increase/ decrease in those hormones.

I'm wondering if the Clearblue Digital OPK's are the same? On cd16, I got a positive CB OPK withOUT using FMU, around 10am. Continued to see positives "smileys" 3 more times for cd16 - I felt twinges/cramps on my right groin on cd 16 as well, (I ovulate from right since it's only ovary I have). Cd17 (today), I had no temp dip, and DID use FMU for the CB OPK, it's still positive. The lines on the ejected tests seem to have gotten darker from the evening of cd16 to the cd17 FMU being the darkest. Another CB OPK on cd17, around 10 am, still a smiley but the lines on the ejected strip seem to start fading.

I know some say once you get a smiley, stop testing... but for those of us using frozen sperm which has a peak viability of only 12 hours, that isn't possible - which is why I'm still testing, in order to get a better picture. My reasoning is, the lines cannot be meaningless, obviously they measure LH, maybe estrogen as well, and their has to be a logical explanation for a fade in and fade out on the strip. Also, will the digital return to negative, the empty O, again?

I need help, making sure I space insemination with 2 vials at the optimal times.
Here is a link to my fertility friend chart: http://www.fertilityfriend.com/ttc/

Here's a list view, for better idea:

CD15: BBT: 97.03, Neg CB OPK
CD16: BBT: 97.25, 10am POS CB OPK, line faint
CD16: 2pm POS CB OPK - line darker than 10am, cervix high soft open, watery cm (if dehydrated its more water like than eggwhite), right groin twinges/ cramps - gearing up for 'O'?
CD16: 8pm POS CB OPK, line darker than 2pm, cervix high soft open, watery cm, increased sex drive
CD17: BBT: 97.22, retook n got 97.44, waited 30-40 seconds n got 97.38. Going by the first one. 645am, POS CB OPK w/ First Morning Urine - Lines even darker - equal in depth of color - does this mean closer to 'O'?
CD17: 10am, POS CB OPK - line is lighter - fading out?, cervix high soft, open, but not as much as last night?, more watery cm
CD17: 2pm, cervix high soft - feels not-so-open. finally saw ewcm, but it was pretty thick, like globs - this is due to dehydration/ all i drank was coffee.

I'll take another CB OPK soon, I have a photo of the tests, if someone can tell me how to upload it here, I'll post it so you can see that.
So any advice is welcome, chart scrutinization, timing the 2 vials...etc.
Sonja.Bossart
I have one son and I lost a baby (naturally) and my husband 4 years ago. Building a family on my own now.
Waiting for my little Halinchka: Beata Halina

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    UPDATE: another CB OPK @ 4pm, CD17, still smiley/ positive - ejected stick lines are dark -equal just like CD17 CB OPK w/ FMU test (this morning). Cervix still high,soft, had more ewcm now than earlier.
    Advice please??!!!!

I'll upload a photo of the test sticks if someone tells me how?
    Sonja.Bossart
    I have one son and I lost a baby (naturally) and my husband 4 years ago. Building a family on my own now.
  • Options
    melandfomelandfo Posts: 490
    edited November -1
    I believe you need to upload them to photobucket fist and then you can embed them here.

As for the smiley opk's the directions say the lines on the sticks when you eject them mean nothing. Go by the first smiley. Once you get a smiley you do not need to test anymore. Good luck!
    Courtney and Melissa
    TTC # 1 w/PCOS & Hypothyroid
    17 cycles finally BFP
    tt1c499a.aspx
  • Options
    edited November -1
    IMG_0651.jpg

Here is the photo of the tests, in order.
    Also, I am aware it says use FMU and after u get ur first smiley, just go with it and no testing... however, when trying to time an ici with frozen sperm, which has a viability of only close to 12 hours, it is necessary to try to pinpoint the time of ovulation as closely as possibly, so as ensure success - after all, we are not here to carelessly try to conceive...it's pretty important business that we succeed.
    Sonja.Bossart
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Also, I'm still wondering if the lines get darker closer to "O".... that wud complicate things since, I am noticing that my cervix is starting to slowly become firmer and to feel closed... so why am I getting positive opk's if I"m closing up/ already O'd???
    Sonja.Bossart
  • Options
    HopingForBFPHopingForBFP Posts: 520
    edited September 2012
    You only go by the smiley faces, they'll tell you if you have a positive OPK, you dont go by the lines on the stick, your not suppose to take them apart, it tells you that in the instructions. If your not so sure about these OPKs, how about getting another brand to back it up? Internet cheapie strip OPKs work great!

You can get two full days of a positive OPK, You probably O'd on CD16 or CD17. Not sure, What does your chart say? and only go by what your first temp says, dont keep taking it over because you will get different results.
    8688290472_8f0eb25fa6_z.jpg
    age.png
    9346155527_f7f126c056.jpg
    age.png
    BFP- 8/9/09 at 10DPO, after 4 years TTC. Sydnee born on April 14th 2010. BFP #2 at 11DPO 9/29/12. Due 6/11/13
  • Options
    FlowergirlFlowergirl Posts: 2,040
    edited November -1
    The lines mean nothing in a clearblue digital opk. Continuing to test, whether you continue to get positives or not, has no bearing in when you will ovulate or if you have already ovulated. A positive only tells you that the lutenizing hormone in your body has surged above what the test measures as positive. That surge means your body is gearing up and preparing to ovulate. Ovulation can occur anywhere from an hour to 48 hours+ after you see that surge, depending on your body. The surge itself can last for a very short time or linger high for up to a few days. How long it stays high enough to register a positive on an opk has nothing to do with when you ovulate though.

Your body can also occasionally gear up to ovulate, surge, and then not ovulate due to any
    number of reasons - like stress, anxiety, etc. It may then surge again a short time later and try again, or it may just give up for that month and you end up being annovulatory. It's not uncommon, and especially when newly tracking for TTC or tracking for the first round of actual insemination, it happens a LOT.
    After 9 yrs & 1 devastating loss, we got our BFP at 9DPO ~ and welcomed our beautiful son on Halloween! Best treat ever!!

a3cmlv.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thanks girls! I did get my temp rise today - a real big rise and a big NEGATIVE on the CB opk this morning with FMU! So that was a confirmation I needed... with that, it helps me further pinpoint closer to actual O time... my cervix is closed definitely and I started to feel like it was closing and drying up in the evening yesterday, which makes sense if I was holding my urine since last night that it would show up negative this morning. I did see a big of ewcm today which I'm guessing was just leftover - but my ewcm this cycle was like watery and had a few tiny glob like balls of the actual egg-white stuff - it was really thick! - Is that okay? I've read it is and isn't.... here's my chart:
    http://www.fertilityfriend.com/ttc/
    Sonja.Bossart
  • Options
    Jccwill3Jccwill3 Posts: 687
    edited September 2012
    If I am correct, I believe that you are not supposed to take OPKs with FMU. I mean, it isn't expressly forbidden, but it does give you a good coverline for that day despite maybe not being accurate because women produce very little LH while sleeping. Actually, we make more LH during the day going about our daily routines so its actually better to start testing late morning/early afternoon. From the look of your pictures (+on day 17, agree with pp) the lines seem more equal later in the day... maybe stronger but not necessarily +.

Then again, I have gotten my own at like 12:31AM and tend to get them on the evening/night timing. Obviously it varies from person to person, but its HPTs that should work best with FMU bc of that nice long hold at night. Just thought I'd share. I've also read that if you get positives and negatives on and off for a few hours or even days that your egg may be stuck, but it doesn't mean it won't drop! Testing after that first smiley really WILL drive you nuts.

A temp rise usually means that you already O'd -- that doesn't mean the game is over though... the egg still sits there for about 24 hours. And if your cervix is starting to close it's pretty much a confirmation that you've O'd and that egg and your swimmers should meet as soon as possible. Sperm Meets Egg Plan is a great strategy. Be proactive! Good luck.