Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Friends who smoke

GaBeekeeperGaBeekeeper Posts: 916
edited November -1 in Pregnancy and Babies
I have a question and this is something I rarely come up on, but it has concerned me and DW.
I have a good friend that smokes a lot. I don't go to her house often, but tonight we were invited to a Labor Day Weekend party.
Out of 12 people only 4 people didn't smoke. My friend made sure that no one smoked in the house or near me.
But what concerned DW was that my friend does usually smoke in her house and even with the candles burning you can smell the old smoke. DW says that she is afraid that we hurt "Little" tonight, I am 8 weeks pregnant.

Did I do the wrong thing by going over there? I did smell some smoke on my clothes when I came home. I am very careful about not being around people who smoke and this is my only friend that smokes in her house. Most people I know that smoke, smoke outside.

I hope I didn't mess up.
pqkom4.png
FxZxm4.pngcarousel_zps296ade6d.jpg

Comments

• Options
    cocolibbycocolibby Posts: 385
    edited November -1
    Nah, prolonged exposure is where the problem is. But I bet it smelled GROSS!!
  • Options
    ChrysanthemumChrysanthemum Posts: 1,205 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My DH smokes, NOT (ever) in the house but he does in the car and he did in the car with me in there even when I asked him not to.
    I don't think it did any harm to G. The biggest fear with smoke is low birth weight and he was definitely not small.

I wouldn't make a habit of being in a smoke filled place but a few exposures probably won't hurt anything.

(As a side note, DH does NOT smoke in the car with G in there).
  • Options
    ZenZen Posts: 2,942
    edited November -1
    You're fine. The danger with smoking (or breathing 2nd hand smoke) is the trade-off on oxygen. Your telling of this experience does not lead me to think that "Little" was short changed in oxygen. So no harm, no foul. But ... you may want to wash your clothes and hair!
    AfUDuhU.jpgAfUDm4.png
  • Options
    GaBeekeeperGaBeekeeper Posts: 916
    edited November -1
    Thank you all, the wife is still beating herself up over this and says even though we love our friends we won't be going back.
    And as soon as we got home, clothes went in the wash and we were in the shower.
    pqkom4.png
    FxZxm4.pngcarousel_zps296ade6d.jpg
  • Options
    old mamaold mama Posts: 4,682
    edited November -1
    I had to lay down the law with my 18 yr old son. I am TTC and I have two kids with asthma. He is not allowed to smoke in the house or anywhere around the house. He is not allowed in my van if he has been smoking or if his jacket or coat even smells like smoke. I will no longer wash his clothes with the family's...if he is MAN enough to smoke he is MAN enough to do his own. I am like you I want to error on the side of being too cautious.
  • Options
    Jen727BFJen727BF Posts: 2,304
    edited November -1
    We just spent the weekend with DP's family - a bunch of smokers. I was upset about being in the house of a smoker (although they were not smoking in the house because we were there) but we can still smell it. Not to mention the fact that I am allergic to it! I just stepped outside for fresh air and eventually everyone followed suit. It is frustrating! I also get upset when we are trying to walk out of a store or restaurant and there are people smoking right by the door. I just want to be able to breathe without inhaling smoke!
    183190fb-4512-4f04-a781-76af2d6d42b0_zpsrvzisual.jpg
    TTC No. 2 since Aug. 2014; IVF #1 - Cxld; IVF #2 - BFN