Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.

Bleeding!

griesskgriessk Posts: 156
edited November -1 in Trying to Conceive
Ok guys: Let me start this with I have never had any spotting between periods, ever. So I am currently 9dpi/dpo. I started implantation bleeding 4dpo and just "knew" I was pregnant. Yes it can happen after 3dpo, just not as common. I have never been pregnant. I work night shift so I didn't go crazy about my temperatures, but now it appears they were probably lower than they should have been. I've had more bleeding, the past two nights and last night, Friday was the worst, probably like a moderate period for most ppl. I don't really have heavy bleeding anymore. Soaked the front half of a liner in about an hour. Yes, not horrible, but I do believe that is more than it's supposed to be and normal bright red. No, its not my period. I've had regular, very predictable periods for as long as I can remember. I can't say I've had actual cramps with it. I have been bloated since insemination and crampy in that way so it's hard to say. Definitely not strong menstrual cramps like I had in the past; early 20s. My doc took one look at my chart and agreed that I need progesterone. She's on vacation. (very connected-small town) I had woke up Wednesday and just "knew" I just wasn't pregnant so I just accepted this is the end and let her go about her trip.

My question is: is it most likely too late for progesterone to save this pregnancy? Has anyone had moderate bleeding and gone on to delivery a healthy baby? Like I said, I feel like it is but I have a shread of hope left and I don't have the personal experience to know if this could be ok. If I did get some cream, would it be harmful in any way?

Sorry for being so lengthy. Just wanted to give as much info as possible.
HbUym5.png

Comments

• acutemi00acutemi00 Posts: 29
    edited November 2012
    ok. this is what i would ask you if you showed up in my ultrasound office. when was you LMP? Did you have a +HPT? Did you have beta's drawn - if not need to do, that will answer all if you're having a miscarriage (they'll get a base line and repeat - if they go up yea! if go down, well there is the answer). Progesterone provides a nice healthy "bed" for an embryo. So the chances of bleeding with it is more than not. i have seen MULTIPLE pregnancies that have carried to full term with early bleeding / spotting. And i mean BLEEDING. Then again i have seen miscarriages without any symptoms. every body is different which is why no one ever has a clear answer.
    --- Scanning new moms all day, just wish it would be me ---
  • griesskgriessk Posts: 156
    edited November -1
    Thanks for your reply. LMP-Oct 20. Had ovulation dip on Nov 1st. Self insem with instead cup that day.Then a rise. I haven't had pos HPT yet. Still crossing my fingers!! Like I said, just had that very strong knowing feeling. Maybe will get testing done Monday. Glad to hear other ppl have had crazy bleeding and still had good pregnancy. Know that's not always the case though and I'm ready for that. I'd rather be pleasantly surprised though:-) All I would have access to this weekend would be progesterone cream from GNC. Any thoughts on that?
    HbUym5.png
  • aplusaaplusa Posts: 1,919
    edited November -1
    Hey Griessk,

Can progesterone hurt? Absolutely not. Will the GNC cream help, possibly. I have little experience with it. I believe the cream would be better than the capsules that are taken orally, though.

As for implantation bleeding starting so early, I don't doubt that there are folks who have had bleeding at 3/4 dpo and have gone on to be pregnant and carry a healthy baby to term. However, I find it unlikely that the bleeding experienced was actually implantation and it is rather impossible to know since it was so early. It typically takes at least 3/4 days for the egg to even travel through the fallopian tubes.

My first month trying I had irregular bleeding mid-cycle for the first time ever as well. I took many tests and they all were negative. Sometimes I think it just happens. It could have been something was nicked when the insemination was done or it could just be the stress of TTC really messing with our bodies.

What do you mean by your 'temperatures are lower than they should be?' Do you have a chart you could post?

In short, you could absolutely be pregnant and carry the little one to term and the progesterone supplements could only help or have no effect, but certainly couldn't hurt. However, if you are not pregnant they could delay your period from starting so keep in touch with your doctor about when she recommends to discontinue use if you do not have a + HPT/blood test in office.

Have you had your progesterone drawn? If not this month, did you have it drawn before you tried?

Have you been getting - HPTs?

Good luck!

-- As a side note, I have a friend who always seems to get a hematoma each time she is pregnant and it causes substantial to moderate bleeding. So, the bleeding could be something other than implantation, but it doesn't necessarily mean you are or are not pregnant. Nor does it mean the pregnancy is necessarily at risk. In the case of a hematoma the progesterone would not do anything to help it.
    7NZpm4.png
    Lucky Cycle 14: IVF!! Antagonist Cycle with Lupron Trigger
    edited November 2012
    http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/3d2d44 I have never posted this before so hope it works. HPT have been neg. None in clinic. Never had any levels drawn. Thought since I had no mid-cycle bleeding and everything was so regular that I probably was ok. Insem done at home with instead cup so nothing was nicked....I wish I had a simple explanation. I'm such a worry wart! The brain is an awesome thing! If we want to belive something, it sure can lead us down that road huh?
    HbUym5.png
    edited November -1
    I'm going to get some sleep or I'll be a witch at work tonight. Thanks for the input! Ill check this when I get up and another HPT of course.
    HbUym5.png
    edited November -1
    Thanks for posting your chart, Griessk. I hope it is all positive for you this month, but if not . . .

I would think it would be a good idea to get all your levels checked out. That is quite a lot of days of spotting to be having -- regardless of what is happening. And though it is not a super lot of blood, as you said, it sounds like more than just simple 'spotting,' you know?

As for your temps, I don't think they seem too low. I've had some months where my temperatures hover at the cover line and my progesterone readings have always been fine. Sometimes you just have lower temps, sometimes the coverline is higher than it would be because of an early unusual high temp -- so I wouldn't worry too much about those being low.

You did have a super-duper high spike on CD 15, but I think that may have been a fluke. How off of your usual time did you take that temperature? It could be a lot of things, so I wouldn't be too concerned that it then dropped so much the next day. Overall, from your chart overlay, it looks like you have a pretty consistent temperature shift so that's what really matters.

Good luck with trying the GNC progesterone cream. It can only help, not hurt -- so go for it!

I am sure every month I am pregnant and then I get to 8 DPO and decide I am not. The day that I get a + HPT, I'm sure I will be absolutely shocked . . . since it will be after 8 DPO. I think it's good to be positive and hopeful-- I always try to be. :) Fingers crossed for you that all turns out well!
    7NZpm4.png
  • mommylovemommylove Posts: 1,582
    edited November -1
    I can tell you almost certainly that what you have was not implantation bleeding. Not only because 3DPO is almost impossible for implantation to occur, but because it is far too much blood to qualify as simple implantation bleeding.

If you inseminated at home or even had an IUI at a doc's office the more likely culprit is a small scratch on your cervix that occurred during insemination and began to bleed. It can also be a sign of potential fertility issues arising, even if it has never happened before. For instance even having HPV can cause small bouts of bleeding/spotting and you wouldn't be aware of it unless you had been previously diagnosed. I would definitely get testing done.

IF you are indeed pregnant, but I would wait to have this confirmed either via +HPT or preferably a bloodtest, then progesterone wont hurt but may also absolutely not help if you are already experience a very early loss (but again I doubt this). I am surprised your doc isn't doing bloodwork to check beta levels and see whats really going on knowing you are TTC.

Hang in there! Hope you have answers soon...
    be422225-267e-4ff7-94c0-a8d5baf3176a_zpse0970fea.jpg
    October 2014

Dk5Zm7.png

22gfm7.png
    edited November -1
    http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/3d2d44 Check it out now! Well, like I said the brain is an amazing thing! My chart had several corrected temps while I was in Denver. I think I wasted $444 to learn something....quit being so stubborn! lol I had double SI joint injections (cortisone) on Oct 8th. It luengthened my cycle by 5 days. I'm guessing I didn't ovulate (the one positive OPK was an assumption after the fact when my temp dipped) So I think I am just having another irregular cycle. Maybe this IS my period! I owe you all an apology! Sorry peeps and thank you for trying to give me hope!! Honestly, such an awesome group and I'm very thankful!! We will go from here. Bet she will put me on BC for a few cycles! Thanks again!!!
    HbUym5.png
    edited November -1
    What would you guys think about my chart if u didn't know any of the circumstances?
    HbUym5.png
  • HopingForBFPHopingForBFP Posts: 520
    edited November 2012
    You may not have O'd. It really doesn't look like you O'd, plus you didn't get a positive OPK, (if you did then put it on your chart and see what that gives you), that doesn't mean you didn't but there isn't really a shift. If you did O. I would think you would be 8DPO, but with the spotting for days, I think this was a cycle where you didn't ovulate or maybe have low progesterone. I'm sorry!

Have you thought about trying Soy Isoflavones?(works like Clomid) you could get it at a GNC store. You take it for 5 days and maybe think about trying vitamin B6 for your LP.
    8688290472_8f0eb25fa6_z.jpg
    age.png
    9346155527_f7f126c056.jpg
    age.png
    BFP- 8/9/09 at 10DPO, after 4 years TTC. Sydnee born on April 14th 2010. BFP #2 at 11DPO 9/29/12. Due 6/11/13
    edited November -1
    As my friend said (about me analyzing EVERYTHING) your brain isn't in charge of this process. I think you need to wait and you may still find out you're pregnant! She told me last night she had pretty major bleeding with two of her kids and so did some of you guys so that's very comforting!! She's pretty much my mom b/c mine isn't so nurturing. I had called her back tonight and said that I look at it now and say could that be an ovulation dip and an implantation dip? Looking back there are really only two cycles where there was a defined shift. So yes I do believe (no matter what's going on) my progesterone is low. I think I will be making a trip to GNC tomorrow for progesterone cream! I plan to go in Monday for labs. I will try to be patient, but that's not my middle name, not even close! We'll see!
    HbUym5.png
    edited November -1
    A lack of a defined shift could mean a number of things. Your progesterone could be low, but it may not be the culprit. Weak or no ovulation may be the culprit, which would show up in low progesterone readings.

There had been a +OPK in there originally, but now with the corrected temps and it removed -- as you said you didn't get one -- I would say get all your levels checked out before you try again. It's hard to read your cycles that are in the chart overlay, but if you can see them and say there isn't much of a temp shift -- I wouldn't invest any more money into sperm until I knew what was going on.

Good luck to you!
    7NZpm4.png
    edited November -1
    Thank you! Hoping to do that tomorrow.
    HbUym5.png
    edited November -1
    I am OK with this-Kristi called. She pretty much said that there's almost no chance that I'm pregnant. She thinks that it probably didn't implant correctly and sloughed off and my body knew it was stressed and started my cycle. She thinks when the bleeding got heavier on Thursday that was probably the start of it. She said if I was pregnant then my levels will show and will start to taper off and I will have to wait until it goes back down to nothing before I try again.
    HbUym5.png
    edited November -1
    Test came back "0" so I'm happy and ready to rock and roll again:-)
    HbUym5.png
    edited November -1
    That's good! It was probably a wonky cycle. :)
    7NZpm4.png
    edited November -1
    It was wonky alright! lol Thanks for your help!!
    HbUym5.png
    edited November -1
    http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/3d2d44 Now all of my charts are posted. Figured it all out! lol
    HbUym5.png
    edited November -1
    Hey Griessk,

I see what you mean now about not seeing a clear thermal shift. Do you always take your temp at the same time? Do you have a routine you follow? What I'm getting at is if there is a reason your BBT isn't a great tool for you or if there's a hormonal reason. Have you had any testing done? When you have the + OPKs on your charts, were those all actually + OPKs you got or were you just assuming that's when you'd have one?
    7NZpm4.png