Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.

First Try= Swing-and-a-miss... Help pinpointing Ovulation?

sonja.bossartsonja.bossart Posts: 24
edited December 2012 in Trying to Conceive
My first try was a bust :mad: , even though I thought I had the timing down, with 3 vials even! However, I must have miscalculated when I actually ovulate.
Is it 12-48 hours after your first positive opk, or do you get your surge, 12-48 hours after the opk, then ovulate 12-48 hours after that???
I thought I ovulated around cd17, I would get a first positive opk, in the morning of cd17 or evening/afternoon of cd16. I had used 3 vials, one in the evening of cd16, about 12 hours after my first positive, the second vial I used mid morning of cd17 and the third vial around midnight of cd17/cd18. Here is my chart for that month:
septfertilitychart.png

I thinking I underestimated my ovulation time and its possible I've ovulated later, perhaps cd18 or cd19, meaning I missed it by just a day or less! :rolleyes:
I am planning to try again, I'm tracking for a few months. I've also noticed that around the time of my first try, my cycles were 29 days in length. Since that first try, my cycles have lengthened, to 31 days - think our cycles change with the seasons?

Anywho! I would love some advice from any of you ladies, I'm tracking temperature and cervical mucus, I try to do cervical position and opening, but I have such a hard time differentiating what I'm feeling there - TMI, sorry.

I won't be trying for at least another 2 cycles probably, so I'll post my fertility friend chart and any advice from the successful mommies, would be very appreciated!

Thanks lots,
Sonja ;)
Sonja.Bossart
I have one son and I lost a baby (naturally) and my husband 4 years ago. Building a family on my own now.
Waiting for my little Halinchka: Beata Halina

Comments

• sonja.bossartsonja.bossart Posts: 24
    edited November -1
    Also I forgot to mention... I was worried I didn't defrost the vials properly. I placed the vial upright on a table, and placed a coffee mug over it, until most of the crystal-looking frost disappeared, it was still quite cold and a little 'cloudy-frosty' looking, meaning I couldn't see completely clearly through the vial, but then I clapsed it in my palm, held it tight until it felt 'warmed' to my body temperature.... is this wrong?
    How do we know when it's done defrosting while standing and when we should hold it to warm it up before inseminating?
    I heard that if the sperm become too warm, it could lead to near of complete morbidity, and no one wants that!

Advice appreciated!
    Sonja.Bossart
    I have one son and I lost a baby (naturally) and my husband 4 years ago. Building a family on my own now.
  • Jen727BFJen727BF Posts: 2,304
    edited November -1
    sonja - I think you ovulated on CD 18 based on temperature, but sometimes temps can be tricky. They aren't always a sure thing. On the low end, frozen ICI sperm live about 12 hours (when calculating times I always go conservative). So if you did in fact ovulate on CD 18, CD 16 insem might have been too early. Based on your chart, it looks like you ovulate around 36 hours after +opk. So maybe next time try 24 hrs after +opk & 36 hrs.

Also, remember that on any given month there is only about a 20% chance of conceiving, even if you got the timing perfect.

Perhaps someone else can chime in with their opinions!

Good luck.
    183190fb-4512-4f04-a781-76af2d6d42b0_zpsrvzisual.jpg
    TTC No. 2 since Aug. 2014; IVF #1 - Cxld; IVF #2 - BFN
  • TheMysticalOneTheMysticalOne Posts: 850 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with Jen. It looks like you ovulated on CD18. That's the day of the temperature rise. If your OPK's aren't giving you good results like they should be, then you might want to consider switching to something clearer, like Clearblue Easy Digitals (the smiley's). I tell everyone to try these because they pretty much tell you when you will ovulate and you'll KNOW you didn't miss the time. It's worth the money to have the BEST chance possible!

I usually ovulate around 24 hours past +OPK, but everyone's different. I get ovulation cramps almost exactly one day after getting that positive. It's best to compare charts from a few months to see what's really going on.

You also have to keep in mind that conceiving on the first try is a stroke of luck, but actually pretty rare. It takes most of us a few times for the right sperm to get the right egg and then implant correctly. I think you planned everything out right, but it just wasn't your month. Everything was right and you gave it a great try. Maybe next month will be your month! Good luck!!
  • aplusaaplusa Posts: 1,919
    edited November -1
    Hey Sonja,

It sounds like you did a great job defrosting the vial. What I did was put it on the counter and set a timer for 3 minutes. This would just get the chill off. I would then wipe it off with a tissue and hold it in my hand for about 7 minutes. When it didn't feel cold to the touch, I decided that was it!

As for timing, the others sound like they got it right. It sounds like you ovulated on CD 18. Typically, your ovulate between 12 - 48 hours after a + OPK reading. Depending on when you ovulated on CD 18 - it sounds like you ovulate between 36 - 48 hours after + OPK. However, if this is the only cycle you have tracked it could be a wonky one. It's a good idea to get a couple other cycles, as you've already said, under your belt while using OPKs to see when you get a + in relation to a temp rise.

Good luck!
    7NZpm4.png
    Lucky Cycle 14: IVF!! Antagonist Cycle with Lupron Trigger
    edited November -1
    Thanks girls. I believe you are correct, it was cd18... I think in anticipation I jumped the gun on inseminating too early. I do plan on continuing tracking for at least a couple more cycles then trying again. For a couple years I was tracking my cycle to get pregnant I was ovulating between cd19 -cd20. I guess I thought that you ovulated on THE day that you had the most EWCM.
    So is it possible that you get a day will a lot of ewcm, then you ovulate a day or so later?

I DID use the digital OPK's so as not to have any confusion. I'll be using preseed again as well.
    I have a new donor already picked out and I'm hoping the next time will be a success.

Thanks a lot ladies, please keep me in your prayers and thoughts!
    Sonja.Bossart
  • RW17RW17 Posts: 197
    edited November -1
    Your timing is not that bad. Some people would get pregnant with that chart (and luck). But personally I would do an insem the day after the +opk and the one after that (so day 17 and 18 of the chart above, instead of 16 and 17). I only got pregnant when one of ours was 40 hours after a +opk. Whenever I timed it like you did I didn't get pregnant. Every woman is different though, and some women do it the same day as a +opk and end up pregnant.
  • RW17RW17 Posts: 197
    edited November -1
    Also in regards to your last question, the day of the most ewcm could be days before you ovulate. Mine is at least 3 or 4 days before I ovulate.
    edited November -1
    Wow! See... all the reading here and there online, you get so much different information. I had been under the impression that when you see the abundant ewcm, cervix is soft, you have ovulation cramps and you've had a temp dip... the day you see the most signs like this is when you should try... perhaps that's for people doing the baby dance...
    I have learned my lesson and I feel like I know now that I must ovulate later rather than sooner after my positive opk.

thanks for the tips... I will keep you all updated.
    Sonja.Bossart
    edited November -1
    I think if my cycle stays relatively the same, and I am very regular... I'd probably inseminate at about 20 - 33- and 45 hours after the darkest line/smiley opk. That way it's just a few hours before the 24 - 36 -48 hours after positive rule.... it's better to have swimmers ready to meet the egg.
    Crossing fingers... i can't wait to try again, just wish I had known a little more my first try.
    Sonja.Bossart