Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.

PUPPPS Rash (sigh)

TheMysticalOneTheMysticalOne Posts: 850 ✭✭
edited November -1 in Pregnancy and Babies
So for the past week or so I've had some weird rash starting on my chest and stomach. I chalked it up to a strange new allergy after the doctor put me on increased calcium. After quitting the calcium for a while and not seeing an improvement I called the doctor. I described my strange rash to my doctor - basically raised red spots. Doctor says it's a benign pregnancy rash and prescribes calamine lotion and benadryl!

So I GOOGLE it. Looks like I have PUPPPS rash. Yay....(not). Starts typically in third trimester and lasts until baby is born. Supposedly it has something to do with the baby's cells getting into my skin. Also, it may run on the FATHER'S side.

Right now it's not TOO bad and I'm hoping it doesn't get any worse. Anybody else have this?

Comments

• mommylovemommylove Posts: 1,582
    edited November -1
    Yes. Had it during my first pregnancy...started around 34 weeks and lasted until the day after I delivered. It was soooo annoying. Super itchy and kept me from sleeping soundly many a night. Nothing worked wonders...but Aveeno Oatmeal lotion (lots of it) and oatmeal baths (not too hot) helped a bit atleast temporarily. an occasional benadryl to catch some sleep was also helpful, but I couldn't take it during the day since it made me super drowsy.

Sorry you got the PUPPS! Ugh! Good news...I didn't get it this pregnancy at all. :-)
    be422225-267e-4ff7-94c0-a8d5baf3176a_zpse0970fea.jpg
    October 2014

Dk5Zm7.png

22gfm7.png
  • Jen727BFJen727BF Posts: 2,304
    edited November -1
    I'm so sorry!! I know nothing about it. Does it itch bad?
    183190fb-4512-4f04-a781-76af2d6d42b0_zpsrvzisual.jpg
    TTC No. 2 since Aug. 2014; IVF #1 - Cxld; IVF #2 - BFN
  • TheMysticalOneTheMysticalOne Posts: 850 ✭✭
    edited January 2013
    I've been lucky that it doesn't itch too much yet. Only a couple of them itch. I've been trying not to bother them. lol. I hope they don't start itching as bad as yours@mommylove. It'll be like the chicken pox that doesn't go away!! At least there are some things that can be done about the itching if it comes to it! I'm glad to hear you didn't get them with your second pregnancy!
  • fischfisch Posts: 570 ✭✭
    edited January 2013
    I had this and it was miserable....the only thing that worked for me was Grandpa's Pine Tar Soap...google it. It literally saved me from going insane and not sleeping my entire pregnancy. Mine started earlier - around 13-14 weeks, and then mostly went away with the use of the soap around 20-22 weeks, and came back again at the very end. The soap stinks, but I kept a bar just in case I ever go through that again. I get poison oak easily and it felt like that...incredibly uncomfortable.
    age.png

age.png
  • preciousgiftpreciousgift Posts: 2,191
    edited November -1
    Does not sound fun, but I hope you get some relief from what other people have recommended...!
    lg2wm5.png
    ........................... :) Trying again soon :)..................................
    edited November -1
    Thank you guys for the ideas for how to deal with the itch. It's not too bad right now. I just hope the itching doesn't get worse. I suppose if I HAVE to have this, then I hope it stays just as it is!
  • TheOtherLovingMomsTheOtherLovingMoms Posts: 1,481 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had it when pregnant with my twins 26 yrs ago. It started at 26 weeks and I had them at 30 weeks so it didnt get very bad. Hope you only have the mild case and it doesnt get too bad
    IGXwm4.png
    I just turned 50 and fabulous!!! Enjoying life with my amazing family!!
    Mom to Rachel 33, Bethany 30, Rebekah 30, Zachrey 20 and several angel babies
    Grandma to Larissa 11, Brittney 11, Trevor 11, Destiny 7, Jayvin 6, Jackxon 3, Kaleb Joshua Rian 1. Grandbaby #8, Sariah Grace born 11-17-16
  • Rose1230Rose1230 Posts: 43
    edited January 2013
    I had it with my first pregnancy, a boy. I had the worst case the hospital had ever seen. They induced me six days early. I used to soak in oatmeal baths all day!
    tt1685c4.aspx
    edited January 2013
    I've read online that taking dandelion root can help, so I'm going to try this for a few days and see if there is an improvement. It won't "cure" it, of course, but it's supposed to help stop the itch and clear it up to something reasonable. I'm trying to stop it from spreading before it gets worse!! I'll have to keep this topic updated to see if this helps me any. Has anybody else tried the dandelion root and did it work for you?

Updating this for reference: The dandelion root did not work for me, although it does work for others. The only thing that seems to help is the Grandpa's Pine Tar Soap, which you can get at GNC and other health food stores. It's helped to dry out the rash and it's beginning to heal. Looks MUCH better than it did last week. No longer red/pink, but more of a lighter brown color as it heals. Glad to find something that helps clear it up AND help with the itching!