Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Which to buy ICI or IUI

SweetTeaSweetTea Posts: 9
edited November -1 in Trying to Conceive
Hello, Hubz and I are going to inseminate at home. We are not using a catheder . Only a speculum and a needle less syringe. Should we purchase IUI vials or ICI vials. Please help. And how many hrs after a positive opk should we inseminate? :/
TTC 4 Years ; 11 miscarriages and no baby... Praying for a RAINBOW
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    emlklg444emlklg444 Posts: 645
    edited November -1
    Sarah-SMBC wrote:
    ICI vials in your just using a syringe.

How many hours after positive opk do you ovulate?

Yes, ICI. It gives you a larger sperm sample. There is a smaller sample in an IUI vial, because it is assumed that you will deposit it directly into the uterus. As far as when to inseminate, that's quite a large window. search this forum and you'll find hundreds of posts on it. It is entirely dependent on each woman and when she ovuates.
    1st daughter born 9/26/2013 (bfp 2nd attempt at home ICI)
    2nd daughter born 3/8/2016 (bfp after 7 attempts at home ICI, 2 miscarriages, 1 D&C)
    age 36 evtim8.png
    age 39 K8qxm7.png
  • Options
    khchapman91khchapman91 Posts: 42
    edited January 2013
    I ordered vials and what the representative didn't tell me was that my donor only had IUI vials. I inseminated a couple times before I realized that we had the wrong vials. Haha.
    They really work just the same. They're a bit cheaper but they have less of a count in the vials.
    IUI vials are supposed to be inserted into the uterus but you can use them for a regular home insemination.
  • Options
    aplusaaplusa Posts: 1,919
    edited January 2013
    I'm with everyone -- if you have a choice and you are not doing an IUI -- definitely go with ICI.

As for timing, as the others have said, it all depends on you. If you have any details like a chart, share and folks will help you out!

Good luck!
    7NZpm4.png
    Lucky Cycle 14: IVF!! Antagonist Cycle with Lupron Trigger
  • Options
    andrea1281andrea1281 Posts: 128
    edited November -1
    ICI for sure. As far as when to inseminate, charts are helpful, but if you don't chart, how many vials do you plan on using? We can give you a better idea knowing that even if you don't chart and don't know when you ovulate. When I got pregnant, I used 3 vials and inseminated at +OPK, 12hrs past, and 24 hrs past, but I figured out, just through tracking with OPKs the previous months and failed months, that I ovulate closer to +OPK. I have actually never charted. If you're using 2 vials, you might do +12 hrs and +36 hrs to try to cover the window and then change your timing if it doesn't work. Unfortunately, as others have said, everyone is different and sometimes it is expensive trial and error to find what works for you. But the expense to get the end result is totally worth it!
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Thanks everyone... ICI it is 8-) .. Another question is it odd to O the same day you get a + opk? I've noticed that's what's been happening in the past. And I'm going to inseminate 2x
  • Options
    TheOtherLovingMomsTheOtherLovingMoms Posts: 1,481 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    No its not odd to ovulate the same day you get +opk. If thats tge case i would insem at +opk and then again about 12 later.
    IGXwm4.png
    I just turned 50 and fabulous!!! Enjoying life with my amazing family!!
    Mom to Rachel 33, Bethany 30, Rebekah 30, Zachrey 20 and several angel babies
    Grandma to Larissa 11, Brittney 11, Trevor 11, Destiny 7, Jayvin 6, Jackxon 3, Kaleb Joshua Rian 1. Grandbaby #8, Sariah Grace born 11-17-16
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thanks ladies :)
  • Options
    sara291sara291 Posts: 1,042
    edited November -1
    I personally like IUI even though I would not actually do a IUI. It seems over the last several years ICI or IUI changes over popularity. Either can work
  • Options
    edited November -1
    im sorry for all of the questions but could someone tell me am i suppose to transfer the sperm from the vial to a specimen cup?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Sarah-SMBC wrote:
    Why transfer it to a cup?

Use a syringe and get it straight out the tiny vial. No need to transfer it or just pour it I guess

Thanks sarah