Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at [email protected] with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.

Here we go...

scorpiogrl7scorpiogrl7 Posts: 1,386
edited November -1 in Trying to Conceive
After only 5 days of Provera, on CD 52, AF finally showed! Now I can start this IVF process. I called the nurse to tell her and she is sending me scripts and a calendar (can anyone explain why I need a calendar?), and she told me to start the BCP on Sunday.

I have a "lecture" (I'm assuming that's a class to teach you how to give shots?) scheduled foe March 11th and a Sonohystogram scheduled for March 13th.

I'm so excited! Just wanted to update, and if anyone can explain the calendar or lecture I would appreciate it.
ZVvim5.png
Tagged:

Comments

• aplusaaplusa Posts: 1,919
    edited November -1
    Lecture is likely your injection class as you guessed. May also be the day you go over all the forms.

And the CALENDAR is the most exciting part of IVF, because you get it before you begin and haven't stuck a single needle in you and it has all these wonderful dates, like anticipated retrieval, anticipated transfer, anticipated beta!! But it's all still magical and you have no idea what it all will do to you yet? Ah, the calendar is like young love.

All kidding aside, it will be an actual calendar that will walk you through the anticipated days you'll start certain injections and the other dates I mentioned. It is a great place to keep track of ALL the medicines and injections you'll have.

I loved my calendar. Now that we've mostly parted -- it's pretty repetitive at this point, I miss it. At first I even missed all the structure it provided after transfer... Sigh.

GOOD LUCK!! I've only done it once, but I'd be happy to answer any questions I can. I also think you have PCOS as well? Yes? Or did I make that up?
    7NZpm4.png
    Lucky Cycle 14: IVF!! Antagonist Cycle with Lupron Trigger
  • scorpiogrl7scorpiogrl7 Posts: 1,386
    edited November -1
    Yep, PCOS plagues me. I don't have the "chain of pearls" ovaries, though, and my prolactin and DHEAs and testosterone are all within normal range (at least last time I was checked), but I have excess facial (and other weird places) hair, very irregular cycles, borderline insulin resistance (and my mother is diabetic now; she had trouble conceiving me and I'm an only child, so I syspect she had PCOS, too), I'm constantly 10-15lbs overweight and have trouble losing unless I'm on BCPs....so yes. PCOS.

I can't wait to get the calendar now! It sounds fun! And I can't wait to see how many scripts I have to fill. The nurse said I will be on Bravelle, Repronex and Ganirelix, but I know there are more (progesterone, estrace, etc). Ithink I'm going to take a pic of all the meds laid out on my table and put it in my baby book.
    ZVvim5.png
    edited November -1
    Yes, my partner did that. She's actually kept everything and wants a picture of all the vials, etc.

But, I'm the girl who asks for the empty vial from the andrologist after an IUI. ;)

You'll also likely have some antibiotics and a trigger shot. Anti-inflammatory for after retrieval. Have they mentioned if you might do a lupron trigger? How many antral follicles do you normally have?

Interesting about the excess hair, but low/normal testosterone. Hmm! My testosterone levels (just outside of normal) and my amazing amount of antral follicles are really my PCOS things. My LH is a wee bit higher than my FSH, but barely out of 1:1 correlation.

Ah! Good luck!!
    7NZpm4.png
    edited November -1
    The Dr did mention a possible lupron trigger; I guess it depends on how well I respond to the stims. The last time I had an u/s my antral follicle count was like...12? Is that high? They never said anything about it being low or high. I respond pretty well to stims (last time I was on Clomid 100mg, I got 3 dominant follies, and on Gonal-F I had 4 or 5) so I am a little worried about OHSS. Maybe that's why he mentioned the lupron trigger?

I am terrified of having hardly any eggs that are usable, and/or no eggs at all. I read about one woman who had15 mature follies but they were all empty of eggs. Since I essentially get one shot at this, I need to have embies left to freeze. I'm taking CoQ10 right now, and royal jelly, bee pollen and Propolis to hopefully get as many ripe eggs as possible. I suppose if none of my eggs fertilize, my DP said she is willing to donate her eggs, as she has the same $10,000 lifetime max with the insurance. However, she is 38 and does not eat as well as I, works nights, reacts worse to stress, etc so I don't know if using hers would be that much better.

Gah! I'm getting ahead of myself with the worrying about eggs and OHSS, I know, but I'm essentially putting all my eggs in one basket (pun intended) and it's hard not to obsess.
    ZVvim5.png
  • PtownMomsPtownMoms Posts: 768
    edited November -1
    Oh the calendar. I had a love/hate relationship with mine. :) I do kinda miss it though.

I ended up being a poor responder. Which was surprising to everyone because I responded so well to gonal-f during my injectible cycles, I'm only 33, all of my levels were great. I had 12 follicles. They got 6 eggs. Only 3 of which were mature. Only 2 became embryos. So we didn't have any to freeze which is a major bummer. I'm not sure if my RE has any thoughts on what "went wrong"...but I'll be interested to see what he has to say if this cycle is a bust. I'm wondering if they over suppressed me. I had started out on 20 of lupron, and then went down to 10...but I know some women go all the way down to 5. I didn't take any bcp's. Anyway.

Lots of luck! Like Aplusa, this is my 1st time....but if I can be of any help don't hesitate to message me. :)
    Carrie & Monica

sig_zps0be86692-1_zpse4fe5311.jpg
    edited November -1
    It's stressful and it's hard not to start worrying.

I met every single criteria for worst case OHSS. Tons of follicles retrieved (over 20), under 35, and lower in the weight category. I honestly believe because of all the water I drank (I had read 3-5 liters during stims significantly lowered OHSS risk) and the lupron trigger that I sailed through without OHSS at all. I had some minor bloating, but what can you expect -- but felt fine. Even the day after retrieval. It wasn't a cake walk by any means, but it wasn't any of those horror stories. I'm glad they have you on lupron as a back up. It does mean more hormones after retrieval to make sure your levels are good enough - I'm on two kinds of progesterone and estrace. But, if made me feel secure my doctor was looking at me as an individual with a specific set of challenges.

When the time comes, the best course of action will be obvious for which trigger!
    7NZpm4.png
  • whoknowsxwhoknowsx Posts: 89
    edited November -1
    scorp,

have you ever taken metformin for pcos? i have pcos and had to lose 100lbs, which 40 is gone. Metformin regulated my cycles and RE thinks it may cut my chances of having a miscarriage, since i have a history. I
    edited November -1
    I took it in the past when I first started TTC, but when I moved, my new Dr said my insulin levels were normal and I didn't need it. I think I probably do, but I don't want to start it now, on the cusp of IVF/pregnancy. After the baby,
    I'll fight to try it again.
    ZVvim5.png
  • praying4onepraying4one Posts: 108
    edited November -1
    Good luck I have my fingers and toes cross for you. Babydust
    12/12 RE IUI donor DS 313 BFN :(
    1/13 RE ICI donor DS 901A BFN :(
    2/13 RE IUI 100mg clomid and hcg trigger 24hr iui 901A BFN :(
    3/17/15 BFP

tt1c2fda.aspx