Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.

Had first ultrasound. Already freaking out (surprised?)

hopeful-in-seattlehopeful-in-seattle Posts: 416
edited November -1 in Pregnancy and Babies
Hi everyone!

DW and I had our first prenatal ultrasound today at 6w2d. It's very early, but our IVF clinic does them at 6 weeks and 8 weeks (I think for boosting success rates, to be perfectly honest; the earlier they find a heartbeat the better their statistics!). We weren't able to see our IVF doc b/c we did all those procedures across country (in Ohio; we live in WA) and weren't whooped about flying back for an ultrasound. So, we went to our previous RE as consult patients.

The RE congratulated us, and then did the transvaginal u/s. The first thing she said was, "There are two gestational sacs, but one is smaller than the other." This was followed by "Guys, it's really too early to predict how this is going to turn out." It was kind of a Debbie Downer moment, honestly. After a 3 year battle with infertility (as you can see from my signature!) we just want to celebrate each positive moment. Baby A (I think the smaller one?) had a heartbeat of 105 bpm, and Baby B (I think the bigger one) had a heartbeat of 115 bpm. The doctor advised us against telling people it's twins, and said that each one independently has a 20% risk of not surviving. I said, "So, put differently, that means each one independently has an 80% chance of making it?" I just want, for once, for someone to be freaking positive so we can breathe a little easier.

We are waiting for a call from our IVF doc in Ohio with a more clear interpretation of how things look for the gestational age.

I'm so worried already about the smaller one. About both of them, really. So I guess I'm writing in hopes that you guys could put out some positive energy for our little babes. We want them so much.
#1 ICI-BFN #2 IUI-BFN #3 IUI-BFN #4 ICI-BFN; #5 IUI-BFN; #6 IUI-BFN; #7-no follie; #8 IUI-BFN; #9 IUI-BFN; #10 IUI-BFN; #11 ICI, fresh-BFN; #12 ICI, fresh-BFN; #13 ICI, fresh-BFN; #14-cysts; #15 ICI fresh-BFN; #16 inj+IUI-BFN; #17 inj+IUI-BFN; #18 inj+IUI-BFN; #19-cyst; #20 IVF=BFP
tt17cb29.aspx
Tagged:

Comments

• ilovecrystalb10ilovecrystalb10 Posts: 53
    edited November -1
    I have to agree with Sarah.

Those heart rates seem very promising and maybe it didn't work before because you were meant to have 2 little ones! :D And an 80% surviving rate is very high, I agree!! You have to think positive, thinking negative will only cause you stress, you don't want that... Girl, you should be so happy!!
    Ethan.jpg
  • JayJayJayJay Posts: 1,192
    edited November -1
    I think that so often doctors and medical staff tend to go to the worst case scenario to cover their tail. That way if something goes wrong you can't come back and say "but you said..." but when everything turns out fine it's a happy surprise. I hate that they do that but they do.

BE HAPPY!! You have twins! Two babies! What a blessing! Honestly the 20% rate is pretty normal statistics at your stage (sadly) so it doesn't really sound like its anything about your babies that makes them say that. And if they were worried about the smaller baby they would have given him/her a different %. All babies develop differently. They will be fine!
  • 2moms_somewhere2moms_somewhere Posts: 305
    edited November -1
    I am so happy for you! Congrats!
  • hopeful-in-seattlehopeful-in-seattle Posts: 416
    edited November -1
    Well, our IVF doctor called and seemed pleased as punch. He did say that from his experience, about 50% of women with twins this early in the pregnancy will go on to deliver two babies and 50% will deliver just one. But somehow he said that with so much confidence/joy that it sounded better than the local doctor's cautionary statistics. He said it doesn't really matter that Baby A is smaller than B--they both look great at this point.

Now I will try to relax. Ha ha ha.
    #1 ICI-BFN #2 IUI-BFN #3 IUI-BFN #4 ICI-BFN; #5 IUI-BFN; #6 IUI-BFN; #7-no follie; #8 IUI-BFN; #9 IUI-BFN; #10 IUI-BFN; #11 ICI, fresh-BFN; #12 ICI, fresh-BFN; #13 ICI, fresh-BFN; #14-cysts; #15 ICI fresh-BFN; #16 inj+IUI-BFN; #17 inj+IUI-BFN; #18 inj+IUI-BFN; #19-cyst; #20 IVF=BFP
    tt17cb29.aspx
  • stwrrstwrr Posts: 455 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ohh I'm so happy for you both! Twins! And like Sarah said.. your local RE can shove it. :D You're having twins! Twiiiiiins! Squeal!!!

~ Sandy
    407251321.jpg
  • aplusaaplusa Posts: 1,919
    edited November -1
    Yay! So glad your IVF doctor got the call in before the end of his day. You've got two little babies cooking in there . . . :)

I'm soo excited and very, very hopeful that this is going to be the wonderful end of one chapter for you guys and a really great beginning to the next.
    7NZpm4.png
    Lucky Cycle 14: IVF!! Antagonist Cycle with Lupron Trigger
  • old mamaold mama Posts: 4,682
    edited November -1
    I am excited for you and hope you can bring both babies home in your arms.
  • Jen727BFJen727BF Posts: 2,304
    edited November -1
    Congrats!!! Definitely sending you positive vibes!! So your next U/s is in 2 weeks?
    183190fb-4512-4f04-a781-76af2d6d42b0_zpsrvzisual.jpg
    TTC No. 2 since Aug. 2014; IVF #1 - Cxld; IVF #2 - BFN
  • preciousgiftpreciousgift Posts: 2,191
    edited November -1
    Congratulations on your two little babies! so sorry you had that negative experience at your local Re. Yay... shove it comes to mind regarding them.
    Yay for your two little ones!
    lg2wm5.png
    ........................... :) Trying again soon :)..................................
  • jenandlorijenandlori Posts: 584
    edited November -1
    Congrats sending happy healthy vibes to you and the babies :)
    Baby Dallas born 11/27/13

IMG_9532_zpsff82306d.jpg
  • MNmommasMNmommas Posts: 1,081
    edited November -1
    Ahhh! Twins! :-D That's fantastic!!! Hey - they both had heartbeats, that is ALWAYS a great sign! Congratulations!
    Donor 7070, births 2012 & 2013
  • OneSmallStepOneSmallStep Posts: 1,685
    edited November -1
    w00h00! Twins! So exciting! I agree with everyone else, the RE can shove it! Also I've heard with twins it's common that there is a size difference - especially fraternal cause they are just like any other two babies - so they won't always match up - they just happen to be going through the process at the same time. Congrats! :cool:
    Hubby of kopykat451
    TTC #1 5/16/11 = BFP 14 DPI / TTC #2 11/16/12 = No O; 4/12/13= BFN; 6/9/13 = BFP!! (11 DPI) - MC 5wk5dys / TTC#3 3 BFN's and 4th try 10/21/13 = BFP!!!! (Squinter at 10dpi!)
    AVPCm4.png
    stitchlove_3_2013_zpsdd668ea6.jpg
    2014.png
  • babybabybabybaby Posts: 1,564
    edited November -1
    that is so exciting!!! it's so hard not to worry, especially when you have a professional saying things that sound so negative. like pp said, it sounds to me like they are just trying to cover their butts. CONGRATULATIONS!!! :)
  • beyondobsessedbeyondobsessed Posts: 804
    edited November -1
    Wow, twins!! You know, I had this weird feeling before I even opened this thread that you would be announcing twins...so cool! Such great news - so excited for you both!
    squsqusrd20120522_-6_Our+Little+Man+is.png
    edited November -1
    Thank so much for the kind, encouraging words. It really means so much to me. I just keep looking at that picture of them and smiling.
    tt17cb29.aspx
  • JebaJeba Posts: 280
    edited November -1
    Congrats!!! How exciting!! When I went to my first ultrasound (in Ohio as well :D ) Baby B was smaller with no heartbeat and she was given a 10% chance of survival. By the next ultrasound, she had a heartrate and had caught up to baby A :)
    jj5wy0.jpg

2GbYm4.png
  • miaandsabrinamiaandsabrina Posts: 723
    edited November -1
    Yay!!! Super exciting!! Congrats on the awesome news!!
    Our worlds collided and together we've been blessed with perfection!
    edited November -1
    Thanks so much, and Jeba I'm holding on to your story about Ava. :)
    tt17cb29.aspx