Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.

For those of you who used an RE....

preciousgiftpreciousgift Posts: 2,191
edited November -1 in Trying to Conceive
For those of you who used an RE....

1.) Did they only use/require one vial for that insem cycle? or did they use two vials at two different times?
Did you have the choice to use one or two vials?

2.) Did you ever double up and have two vials inserted at the same time? (for higher sperm count?)

3.) Did you ever have an issue where the guaranteed sperm count was below what was stated from the cryobank? How was that resolved? refund? only if not pregnant?
lg2wm5.png
........................... :) Trying again soon :)..................................
Tagged:

Comments

• somirhsomirh Posts: 18
    edited November -1
    This Friday will be my 3rd attempt with an RE. Their common practice is to only use 1 vial timed 24 hours after trigger. I suppose if I pushed for it I could try to use more than 1 vial, but it hasn't come to that yet. I haven't had any issues with sperm count. Both my previous iui vials have had 16-17 million sperm.
  • preciousgiftpreciousgift Posts: 2,191
    edited April 2013
    Honestly, I don't use NW. I found a donor I really liked before I even found NW or this forum. But, their counts are said to be "between 5 and 9.5 million" IUI format for one type of vial.... That is the one I have left in storage. Then, that donor still has some higher count vials available. Those are between 10- 15 million IUI format. So, the RE said they thought the one vial that I had left (5 to 9.5 million) IUI format was enough.

Donor does not have any ICI vials.
    Do you think so?

Or would you buy one other vial of 10-15 million and add it to the first one? Or just see if you could exchange for the 10-15 million one and use that?
    lg2wm5.png
    ........................... :) Trying again soon :)..................................
    edited November -1
    THanks somirh and 2moms!
    lg2wm5.png
  • shauna2710shauna2710 Posts: 769 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    1. My RE left it up to me but only needed one vial

2. No I never doubled up but it was an option

3. I had a vial with only 6 mil and it was refunded in the form of a free vial after confirming no pregnancy (different sperm bank)
    Cycle 6 was my lucky cycle! BFP!!!
    EDD 12/13/2013
    It's identical TWINS! They're GIRLS!
    7/20/2013 Sweet Baby A lost her battle with IUGR.
    8/26/2013 Feisty Baby B was born via emergency CSection 16 weeks premature
  • shauna2710shauna2710 Posts: 769 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My RE said anything over 5 million is fine for an IUI
    Cycle 6 was my lucky cycle! BFP!!!
    EDD 12/13/2013
    It's identical TWINS! They're GIRLS!
    7/20/2013 Sweet Baby A lost her battle with IUGR.
    8/26/2013 Feisty Baby B was born via emergency CSection 16 weeks premature
  • aplusaaplusa Posts: 1,919
    edited November -1
    Yeah, as Shauna said, 6-10 million sperm is considered the sweet spot, if you will, for frozen donor sperm. Just confirm that your vial is 5 million sperm per vial and not 5 million sperm per cc when you are sent a .5cc vial.

Good luck!
    7NZpm4.png
    Lucky Cycle 14: IVF!! Antagonist Cycle with Lupron Trigger
  • ChrysanthemumChrysanthemum Posts: 1,205 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    1.) We had two attempts when we used two vials because the sperm counts were well below the minimum guarantee. Once the count was 4 million, and another time it was around 5. We switched donors after these two experiences and got pregnant on the next cycle.

2.) Same as above.

3.) Yes, see answer to question one. We let NW know each time, and had our RE fax over the specimen reports. We got an exchange for any vial that was below the minimum. NW was very nice about it.
    We were the same but without the BFP.
  • anna77anna77 Posts: 283
    edited November -1
    1) My RE only uses 1 vial/cycle
    2) No. I did ask about back to back IUIs, and he said he would do it if I wanted but he thought I would be wasting my "high $ specimens". I never really thought about it for a 1 IUI cycle though, but I would assume his response would be the same.
    3) I have not yet had that issue
    Anna 38 (mommy to 3 boys...11, 9 & 2)
    #3 was conceived with DS via our 6th IUI (2 natural, 2 clomid, 2 follistim+trigger)
    Trying for one more blessing to add to our family:
    IUI #1 9/25 (follistim+trigger) BFN IUI#2 (follistim+trigger) 10/23 BFP!...mc 6w3d
    IUI#3 2/5 (follistim+trigger)...Test Date 2/19
    edited November -1
    THanks ladies... It is always great to hear everyone's experiences....
    aplusa- the counts are per vial, not per cc... but that is a good point.
    lg2wm5.png
    edited November -1
    If it's per vial and that's the thawed count, I'd say you're golden with those numbers then.

:)
    7NZpm4.png
  • scorpiogrl7scorpiogrl7 Posts: 1,386
    edited November -1
    1.) Did they only use/require one vial for that insem cycle? or did they use two vials at two different times?
    Did you have the choice to use one or two vials?

I did one IUI 30-36 hours after trigger; the Dr I was using said 2 was not necessarily more effective than one well-timed. Plus, I was paying out-of-pocet for the insemintation itself AND the sperm, and I really couldn't afford more.

2.) Did you ever double up and have two vials inserted at the same time? (for higher sperm count?)

Nope.

3.) Did you ever have an issue where the guaranteed sperm count was below what was stated from the cryobank? How was that resolved? refund? only if not pregnant?

This was before I used NW. I used a local cryobank when I was doing medicated IUIs with Dr. I would go pick up the tank and literally drive it across the street and up to the office, and they would thaw it and do the IUI there. Once, the nurse called me in to look through the microscope. There were lots of sperm, but none of them were moving; they were all dead. She called across the street to the bank and told them what was going on. I took the bad specimen back and exchanged it for a new one of the same donor. The same thing happened. All dead. The nurse called again and I took back the bad specimen and got a vial from a different donor, since the lady at the bank thought maybe something had happened in transport (they got their vials from other sperm banks around the country).

That is the only time I have ever had a problem with insufficient sperm.
    ZVvim5.png
    edited November -1
    aplusa,,, did you mean that the vial with the between 5 and 9.5 million IUI vial would be sufficient?

scorpio- WOW... good thing that the sperm bank was just across the street and you could just walk back an forth for new vials!
    P.S. Hope your little beans are growing steady!
    lg2wm5.png
    edited November -1
    Precious - yes, I meant that count would be good.
    7NZpm4.png
    edited November -1
    thanks aplusa.... so you think just that one vial will be enough?
    lg2wm5.png
    edited November -1
    Yes. Since it is already an IUI vial, right, the doctor would not wash it? If they did, then you would lose sperm and then I would recommend a second vial. But, if its washed and the doctor will not re-wash it, I think that count is sufficient.
    7NZpm4.png
    edited November -1
    Yes, it is IUI....then they would just thaw it and check counts, then do an iui.
    Thanks.
    lg2wm5.png