Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.

New Daycare Questions

scifimomscifimom Posts: 1,173
edited November -1 in Pregnancy and Babies
Hi All, My babysitter decided to not continue to be my sitter by July because of her pregnancy. Therefore, I found a daycare I like and have an appointment coming up in which I describe baby S' routine and care. Do you have any suggestions? Even though I have been using a babysitter, this is all new to me! S is 4&1/2 months and it may be another month to 6 weeks before she starts the daycare. Some of my concerns include:

- I will bring frozen breastmilk and they have a fridge I can up it in at the daycare, idk if I have freezer space. Do you have suggestions to I make sure I don't leave way too much or have too little for the day (my current sitter has a stash in her freezer so she can thaw the appropriate amount which varies). If I can use the freezer (I will find out) that will help a lot! Any suggestions or tips on using breastmilk at daycare would be appreciated.

- Cloth diapers, I can use them! I'm so happy they will let me bring her Alva pocket diapers. Any suggestions for making it as easy as possible for the daycare providers? I suppose I will pre-stuff them and be sure the height snaps are already set. I will likely provide disposable liners for after she is eating solids and having solid poops. Any other thoughts? I want to make it easy so they don't change their mind.

- Apparently I have like a cubby space to keep her stuff. I'm sure they can give me all sorts of suggestions on what to make sure she has available. Do you have any suggestions on what to keep at the daycare or bring daily? Perhaps there is something you didn't think your baby would need, but you are glad you packed it?

I don't expect all these questions answered. Any tips would be appreciated!

I'm excited because there are only a few babies in the infant section at this daycare and I got a really good feeling about the care providers I was able to meet. I was referred to this place by an acquaintance and I saw her son looking totally content on my visit.

Thanks!
EyNNm4.png
zjng3tj.jpgzjngm4.png

Comments

• em'smomsem'smoms Posts: 1,439
    edited November -1
    When I was still pumping, the daycare kept a stash of frozen milk in the freezer and took out for the day. I bet this one does this as well. As I got low on my stash, I would pump for the next day and bring it in each morning.
    I didn't cloth at daycare.
    Cubby- 2-3 onesies, pants. Diaper rash cream, aquaphor or something like that for dried lips/nose/cheeks etc; several bibs (both water proof for solids and cloth for drooling). Any solid foods/snacks. Our daycare sent home crib sheet and blanket each Friday to be washed, they also sent home bottles/sippy cups each night. A Lovey if she has one (ours had to come back and forth every day). That is about it, they should provide you with a list of things to have there. Good luck!
  • dnorris730dnorris730 Posts: 191
    edited November -1
    I worked in a daycare for from the worker stand point I think it'd be awesome if you did pre stuff the cloth diapers. At least for the first few days while the workers are learning how to use them. We only had one child in them but the mom showed me how to get them to fit properly and I had no issues with them at all! For the cubby, each family was allowed to hang pictures so the kids (mostly toddlers with separation issues) could look at pictures of mommy and it helped them throughout the day. I'd ask if you are allowed to hang some pictures to make it feel more like her space! Leave a few onesies and a full change of clothes ie socks, dress, sleeper. Or a few different options. We sent blankets home each Friday to wash however some parents choice to send stuffed animals or leave one in the cubby. Hope that helps some!
    2013.pngMake an ovulation ticker

Waiting for my rainbow baby!
  • KatydidKatydid Posts: 515 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My daycare requires that all the bottles be pre-made and labeled with the name and date...I also put her initials on the tops! I send in four 4oz bottles for 8.5 hours, and they normally use three of them. I use a mixture of fresh and frozen, so I label the lid of the frozen bottles for them to use first. In my state they are not allowed to make or mix the bottles so they couldn't keep a stash. They have a full size fridge in the infant room, and each baby has a bin in the fridge for their bottles and food. They keep a crock pot of warm water on to heat the bottles. I carry a diaper bag back and forth daily with 2 weather appropriate outfits, a couple of bibs, saline nasal spray, and diaper cream. I bring in a stash of diapers and wipes as needed...each baby has a basket for them in the changing area. I try to keep calm and not get too detailed. They know how to take care of babies, and they always work out a routine that fits the room with a few personalized tips. I also bring in a labeled blanket each week. They use their own sheets which they wash daily...I have seen one parent supply their own sheets. I love my daycare. Good Luck!
  • scifimomscifimom Posts: 1,173
    edited November -1
    Thanks so much ladies! Sounds like I will have to find out about the breast milk prep, but either scenario sounds doable. Horton, thanks for the info, I am going to look into it. Plus, I may take you up on the offer to contact you. Katydid, thanks for mentioning you love your daycare! I love my sitter and we are great friends (and still are even though we mixed business!). However, I'm hoping I love the daycare, or rather that the baby loves it. ;) I can see some pros and cons, like the daycare will be a very reliable place and my sitter sometimes needs a day off. If this place is great, she can go right through pre-school. My sitter can still be a back up if for some reason S can't go to daycare, or is real fussy and needs to leave (you know one of those days the baby is super upset then totally fine after another nap. ;) I'm very concerned about my daughter being very shy and socially awkward (like I was/is ;) and perhaps being around a diverse group of kids from the beginning will help.
    EyNNm4.png
    zjng3tj.jpgzjngm4.png
  • RW17RW17 Posts: 197
    edited November -1
    For breastmilk I'd send three 3-ounce bottles a day which was enough for him (and was what I pumped per day...) For backup in case I accidentally forgot it, he was hungry, etc. I kept about the same amount in their freezer.

The only things we keep in the cubby are extra changes of clothes, diapers/wipes/cream, and when he was old enough to go outside, jacket/hat/sunscreen.

If he gets attached to a bed pillow or lovey or toy we'd bring that.

scifimom wrote:
    Hi All, My babysitter decided to not continue to be my sitter by July because of her pregnancy. Therefore, I found a daycare I like and have an appointment coming up in which I describe baby S' routine and care. Do you have any suggestions? Even though I have been using a babysitter, this is all new to me! S is 4&1/2 months and it may be another month to 6 weeks before she starts the daycare. Some of my concerns include:

- I will bring frozen breastmilk and they have a fridge I can up it in at the daycare, idk if I have freezer space. Do you have suggestions to I make sure I don't leave way too much or have too little for the day (my current sitter has a stash in her freezer so she can thaw the appropriate amount which varies). If I can use the freezer (I will find out) that will help a lot! Any suggestions or tips on using breastmilk at daycare would be appreciated.

- Cloth diapers, I can use them! I'm so happy they will let me bring her Alva pocket diapers. Any suggestions for making it as easy as possible for the daycare providers? I suppose I will pre-stuff them and be sure the height snaps are already set. I will likely provide disposable liners for after she is eating solids and having solid poops. Any other thoughts? I want to make it easy so they don't change their mind.

- Apparently I have like a cubby space to keep her stuff. I'm sure they can give me all sorts of suggestions on what to make sure she has available. Do you have any suggestions on what to keep at the daycare or bring daily? Perhaps there is something you didn't think your baby would need, but you are glad you packed it?

I don't expect all these questions answered. Any tips would be appreciated!

I'm excited because there are only a few babies in the infant section at this daycare and I got a really good feeling about the care providers I was able to meet. I was referred to this place by an acquaintance and I saw her son looking totally content on my visit.

Thanks!
  • LindsayLindsay Posts: 201
    edited November -1
    I worked infants for almost 8 years...don't be so nervous...Good loving workers will work with your needs and desires...I didn't mind cloth...As long as they were prestuffed..even when they got older I did the cloth no problem as long as mama sent a wet bag..I just removed soiled diaper,rolled it back up with all contents included and put int he wetbag to be dealt with at home.I cleaned baby and put on fresh cloth diaper..Wasn't anymore work for me than doing it the disposableway.. :P Breastmilk...We had a crockpot full of warm water and we would thaw the milk and dump it in the bottles if the mamas asked...Some brought it already in the bottles and that was fine too...We didn't however premix formula...Took too much time..When you have multible infants you are contantly on the go...

It will be fine...:)

I teach Head Start now and work with special needs preschoolers...Sometimes I miss cudding and loving those little babies all day long :)
    Lindsay xx