Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.

Any ladies here with large abdominal scars?

ReadytoTryReadytoTry Posts: 234
edited November -1 in Pregnancy and Babies
With the possibility of the TWW wait being over and pregnancy a real possibility (beta today - results tomorrow, so we shall see!), I started thinking about about my large, vertical abdominal scar. The scar that runs from right between my breasts, down to my navel, around my navel, and then down about 4 more inches. It's about 1/4" in width. It's huge. And, as a result, I have a ton of scar tissue built up.

Does anyone here have large abdominal scars? If so, how did the pregnancy expansion go? A few years ago I brought it up with my PCP and she thought that pregnancy would be very painful because scar tissue doesn't stretch and a growing belly would have to tear though the tissue to grow outward. Anyone here with experience?

Comments

• GoobieGoobie Posts: 3,515
    edited November -1
    How deep is the scar? Is it just skin tissue? Muscle tissue as well? If it is a shallow scar it should have no complications, except maybe extra stretch marks around that area. If it is a deep scar then it might have some additiona complications as no, scar tissue does not stretch as well as surrounding muscle tissue, but I'm not sure it would have to tear!
    tt125c22.aspx

Need to update a ticker, Silas Anthony Jordon born Oct 11, 2013. 6th baby, so much love!
  • ReadytoTryReadytoTry Posts: 234
    edited November -1
    It's a deep scar. I had pancreatic cancer is 2008 and they had to remove a 5 lb mass, half my pancreas, and all of my spleen! :( I'll be prepared for the worst and hope for the best I suppose! :)
  • GoobieGoobie Posts: 3,515
    edited November -1
    Yeah, it might suck. But were you told after your surgery to not attempt pregnancy? I would say if no one told you "it would be bad to" then you're probably fine :) Scar tissue doesn't stretch, but you'd be amazed at how much everything else does :)
    tt125c22.aspx

Need to update a ticker, Silas Anthony Jordon born Oct 11, 2013. 6th baby, so much love!
  • TxMoms2BTxMoms2B Posts: 532
    edited November -1
    I'm concerned about this as well. I'm hoping that the fact the area has already stretched while scar tissue was forming will help me out! I have a 10 inch vertical scar that starts around 4 inches above my navel, curves around, and then goes all the way to my bikini line. I had a laparotomy to remove a soccer ball sized cyst when I was 18 weeks pregnant. I wore a binder afterwards until I was around 30 weeks pregnant. Then I really started to stretch out my scar. I was worried about adhesions and herniations for a while. I guess I'll just have to test this out. We are hoping to try for another in October.
  • yfnryfnr Posts: 418
    edited November -1
    I'm not sure who said that scar tissue doesn't stretch...I've seen many patients with abdominal scars that have stretched from different reasons.

I'm not sure if it's the type of scar, skin, age, whatever, but I wouldn't make the blanket statement that a scar won't stretch.

I care for cancer patients, many of whom have had an abdominal surgery of some sort. Many times, late in a disease process they develop ascities which is accumulation of fluid in the abdomen. Many of these patients will take on abdominal girths similar to full term pregnancy...and over a few weeks vs a few months and I have NEVER seen anyone with a scar have complications related to this.
    Jamie
    Mommy to Twins plus One - donor 733
    DSC08654_zps76947225.jpg
  • ReadytoTryReadytoTry Posts: 234
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad it hasn't been a problem for others. It gives me great comfort. I wasn't told to avoid pregnancy, just that the scar tissue may cause a lot of pain as it will likely gets tiny rips in order to expand. The scar tissue already causes a lot pain just in day to day life. I do stretches every morning and go to Pilates regularly to help. That seems to keep the pain away most of the time.
  • ZenZen Posts: 2,942
    edited November -1
    I had gastric bypass surgery in 1999 and that scar is vertical and very noticeable. I had no problem whatsoever carrying my baby and there was no change to that scar at all. My c-section scar following delivery is now only barely visible. If I had the physique to wear a bikini, you would not see it at all :)
    AfUDuhU.jpgAfUDm4.png
  • holmsjoeyoj29holmsjoeyoj29 Posts: 1
    edited November -1
    I had abdominal surgery in March and started using dermalmd scar serum as soon as my doctor told me I could (I think two weeks after surgery). I used it twice a day on five small incisions for over six months and never had to purchase a second bottle. My scars already look like they are years old. They have faded way more than I ever expected them to. Would definitely use again and highly recommend!