Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.

I may have lost my mind. What do I do now? (8/28 beta update below)

quietlyhopefulquietlyhopeful Posts: 13
edited August 2013 in Pregnancy and Babies
The title says a lot. I think I lost touch when I received a BFP on Friday. The test was a definite but light positive. My best friend looked at the test too and confirmed I wasn't hallucinating.

The problem is that I keep testing. I've limited myself to testing twice per day. All the other tests are positive and they're getting darker... but it's still not a solid dark line.

I keep telling myself that a line is a line is a line but I'm still very nervous and honestly I'm in quite a bit of shock.

Friday's BFP was on day 24 of my cycle. There was an OPK change on day 13. My RE's practice is to not wait for a smiley, just the first sign of noticeable change.

My RE performed iui on day 14 and think I ovulated on day 15. By the way the sperm count and mobility on the specimine from NW was AWESOME per my RE.

This is the first cycle I used femara. I'm due to start AF tomorrow which is day 27. I don't feel like AF is coming. I have no symptoms of pregnancy but I'm not nervous about that.

When will the line be darker? I know I don't need to keep testing... but I'm pretty dedicated to seeing a very dark line and to see two positive BFPs for every gosh darn negative I've seen in the last year.

I don't have any instructions from my RE about what to do after I get a BPF. I'm pretty clear I should call my RE tomorrow. Would it be helpful to have my beta numbers checked this week? Is there anything else I should ask the RE about? At the iui we discussed the possibility of ectopic pregnancy and that there would be testing. I was too excited and nervous to retain much of that information.

I promise I'm not stupid. I'm just in shock and too scared to let myself become as excited as I really want to be. Your input would be greatly appreciated.
Tagged:

Comments

• melmel Posts: 793
    edited November -1
    Congratulations!

The amount of dye varies with each test, so they may not always get progressively darker. I had one test left when I was 8 weeks pregnant with triplets and it STILL was not as dark as the control line.

My RE told me to call if the test was positive so they'd bring me in for a beta. I think most do that.
    Jjr6m5.png
  • SPJ&ESPJ&E Posts: 874 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Congrats!

I kept testing once a day for a week or 2, using the dollar store cheapies, just to see the line get darker. After having a miscarriage shortly before, it eased our minds a little.

I would call the RE and go from there in your situation.
    Mom to P (13), J (11), E (6), and Q (born December 2017)
  • old mamaold mama Posts: 4,682
    edited November -1
    Since your line is still light I think it would definitely be time for a blood test to confirm. Stick to your guns at the dr. too and refuse a urine test. It sounds great...hey a second line is a second line.
  • scorpiogrl7scorpiogrl7 Posts: 1,386
    edited November -1
    My beta was 2343 before I ever got a line as dark as the control line. It has a lot to do with the test and how Mich water you drink.

My RE would always schedule a beta for 2 weeks after the IUI (or in the successful cases for me, after the transfer). So if you don't have one scheduled, get in there today for a beta! They'll likely want to draw 2 or 3 to check doubling times.

And congratulations!
    ZVvim5.png
  • poems0431poems0431 Posts: 337
    edited November -1
    It also depends on the test you are using. With the cheaper test, like the wondfo test, for me, the lines were very faint in the beginning and took about a week to get as dark as the control line. The more costly tests got darker quicker and I got a positive on the digital 2 days after my initial positive. I also tested for about a week after my BFP because I had been trying for so long it seemed like a dream.
    IT'S A BOY!
    1st beta 456 at 15dpo
    2nd beta 6000 at 22 dpo
    NuNSm5.png
  • lovelyladybutterflylovelyladybutterfly Posts: 122
    edited November -1
    Mine stayed really light for over a week. Then I quit testing. Then after another week I ha a very very dark line. :)

Just relax, a positive is a positive. You can't be a little pregnant.
    gst1m4.png
    First Try
    2-11: BFP; 5-11: Miscarriage;
    2nd Try
    5-13: BFN; 6-13: BFN; 7-13 BFP!
    No matter how long it takes, I'll have my dream come true!
  • FlowergirlFlowergirl Posts: 2,040
    edited November -1
    I tested forever after :) it's ok! It's just so awesome to see those lines - just don't let them discourage you if they don't seem dark enough. Like others said, the dye is different in them, as well as the concentration of your urine, so it doesn't always stay consistent. Congrats!!
    After 9 yrs & 1 devastating loss, we got our BFP at 9DPO ~ and welcomed our beautiful son on Halloween! Best treat ever!!

a3cmlv.jpg
  • ReadytoTryReadytoTry Posts: 234
    edited November -1
    I tested daily for about a week after my BFP. They started out super light but gradually got darker. I second what everyone else has said about going in for a blood draw.

Congratulations!! Yay for another August BFP!
  • scifimomscifimom Posts: 1,173
    edited November -1
    I would just try to be easy on myself for worrying and if you want to keep testing, go for it! This is your time to be pregnant and worry and enjoy it at times too. :) Congratulations!!! Let us know how the tests go at the RE.
    EyNNm4.png
    zjng3tj.jpgzjngm4.png
  • quietlyhopefulquietlyhopeful Posts: 13
    edited November -1
    Thank you for your understanding and kind comments. I think the bottom line is that I'm terrified of becoming hopeful and excited. I suspect once I know this bean is sticky I'll need a good long cry to honor the grief, sadness, and frustration I felt when my TTC left me broken and feeling like a failure.

My RE's office staff have ordered a stat blood test. I should know the results by the end of the day. I'll ask if a follow up test later this week is prudent so we can see how the numbers are increasing.

My initial interview with the RE was months ago so I don't remember all of the details about their post BFP procedures. I think there will be a vaginal ultrasound in the next few weeks to "rule out ectopic pregnancy"... and in all honesty to confirm the number of tadpoles and the health of the pregnancy.

Either way I'll keep you posted. I can't be the only person who wondered what to do next.

Thank you again for your help and reassurance.
    edited November -1
    My lab results are in. My beta hcg level is 22. The nurse was clear that this is a positive but one should be cautious about these numbers. I'll go in on Wednesday for another test. Depending on the results I may be asked to go in a third time next week.
  • Jccwill3Jccwill3 Posts: 687
    edited November -1
    Congrats.

Try not to worry too much. That first number means relatively nothing without something to compare it to. Good luck to you for Wednesday!
  • GoobieGoobie Posts: 3,515
    edited November -1
    Anything more then a 0 is pregnant, girl, 22 is awesome. Congratulations!
    tt125c22.aspx

Need to update a ticker, Silas Anthony Jordon born Oct 11, 2013. 6th baby, so much love!
  • aplusaaplusa Posts: 1,919
    edited November -1
    Sounds good! And from your original message it sounds like you are only like 11 or 12 DPO? That's a great number!

Good luck if you decide to do more betas.
    7NZpm4.png
    Lucky Cycle 14: IVF!! Antagonist Cycle with Lupron Trigger
  • Jen727BFJen727BF Posts: 2,304
    edited August 2013
    Congrats! Good luck with your next draw.
    183190fb-4512-4f04-a781-76af2d6d42b0_zpsrvzisual.jpg
    TTC No. 2 since Aug. 2014; IVF #1 - Cxld; IVF #2 - BFN
    edited November -1
    Thank you for all of your kind, sensible, and reasonable words. I tested again this morning and confirmed I can still get a positive. Otherwise I've left testing alone.

Tomorrow morning I'll be at the lab as soon as they open for my blood draw.
    edited November -1
    My labs came back today. Hcg is 60 today which is a good sign in general and decent level for 4 weeks 0 days. I test again on Friday. If the pattern continues we'll schedule an ultrasound to check location, development(ish), and number of embryos.

What a sigh of relief!
  • scifimomscifimom Posts: 1,173
    edited November -1
    sounds great!
    EyNNm4.png
    zjng3tj.jpgzjngm4.png
  • aplusaaplusa Posts: 1,919
    edited November -1
    That's great! Totally more than doubled!

Keep on going, Little One!
    7NZpm4.png
    Lucky Cycle 14: IVF!! Antagonist Cycle with Lupron Trigger
  • jitterymojitterymo Posts: 137
    edited November -1
    Congrats, that sounds like a fab number! Stay stress free! And keep us updated!
    TTC#1
    insem on 10/2/13 - BFN (AF early!)
    insem on 10/30/13 - BFP, (miscarriage)
  • Jen727BFJen727BF Posts: 2,304
    edited November -1
    Great news!
    183190fb-4512-4f04-a781-76af2d6d42b0_zpsrvzisual.jpg
    TTC No. 2 since Aug. 2014; IVF #1 - Cxld; IVF #2 - BFN