Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.

It Seemed So Obvious - Syringe Question

tyababyhopestyababyhopes Posts: 113
edited November -1 in Trying to Conceive
This is going to seem really dumb but I had problems with my syringe test last night. Here's what I want/plan to do: Open the syringe, suck up some preseed, suck up the sperm, suck up more preseed, remove the needle, slowly insert sperm up against cervix. It seems like a no-brainer.

Then, I tried to practice with just the preseed last night. It took me seconds to realize my needle is too small to suck up the preseed. So, I unscrewed the needle and inserted the tip of the syringe into the opening of the preseed tube. I squeezed the preseed a little while slowly pulling back on the syringe. That worked. So, do I screw the needle back on to suck up the sperm or do I try to suck up sperm with the needle off. I don't have a catheter and I can't practice with real sperm. I just don't want to damage the sperm. That's the main thing. I'm using 3ml syringes.

Any advice?
dpo-1415340000z5z28z15.png
#1 - August - BFN, Clomid and Pregnyl
#2 - September - BFN, Clomid and Pregnyl
#3 - October - BFN, Clomid and Pregnyl
#4 - November - TWW, Progesterone CD 16+

Comments

• WannabeasinglemamaWannabeasinglemama Posts: 969
    edited November -1
    You are always supposed to remove the needle. They also sell needleless syringes.
    Nicole-SMBC-39y/o-TTC since Jan. 2013
    IUI~BFP (BORN STILL) AT 16w5d 4/3/14
    Chemicals~IUI 7/24/14;8/21;BFNs~9/25;10/19;IVF#1-2/21/15~No embies made to blast.
    IVF#2-BFP~4/16 trans. 2 embies
    MIdqadD.jpgMIdqm5.png
    mf0Km4.png
  • scorpiogrl7scorpiogrl7 Posts: 1,386
    edited November -1
    You don't need a needle. Just get the needleless syringes or even the "baby medicine" administered thing in the infant aisle of a pharmacy.
    ZVvim5.png
  • hopefulltwohopefulltwo Posts: 303
    edited November -1
    We use the 3ml syringe/needle without any issues. We use it with preseed and without. Then we just unscrew the needle. I have heard of people just pouring the sperm in the syringe, but I was worried about a spillage. Hope you get your bfp not matter which way you do it.
    Feb '13 - BFN March '13 - BFN
    April '13 - extra af - bfn ( i still think the smiley lied) reg. af - bfn
    June '13 - bfn July '13 - bfn Aug '13 - BFN Sept '13 - another bfn Oct '13 - bfn
    Nov '13 - well af showed a week early-BFN
    Dec '13 - BFN Jan '14 - BFN
    ah Feb '14 BFPPP!!!!! Expecting him to arrive around November tenth.
  • K&HK&H Posts: 3,368 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ouch! No needle!
    GOzIm4.png
    hAO7m4.png
    CmQMm4.png
  • old mamaold mama Posts: 4,682
    edited November -1
    I also use a piece of paper towel and squeeze out a glob of preseed and suck up the amt I want into the syringe. Speaking of syringes. I always pull back on the syringe to suck in a tiny bit of air then push back to release all you can. If not there can be a suction problem sucking up your preseed or swimmers. Are you planning to put the cath on the syringe to suck up the swimmers? I don't think you can get a 3ml syringe into the vials. I guess I bite the bullet and buy the $10 kit from NW with the 1ml syringe and cath.
  • SPJ&ESPJ&E Posts: 874 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    We used 1cc needless syringes. Tiny bit of preseed then contents of vial. No issues.
    Mom to P (13), J (11), E (6), and Q (born December 2017)
  • tyababyhopestyababyhopes Posts: 113
    edited November -1
    No. I'm not using the needle to do the insemination. I was keeping the needle on just to suck up the sperm and then remove it before the insemination. My question is, is it better to suck up the sperm with or without the needle? I ran into a suction problem with the preseed so I took the needle off for that. Should I put it back on just to suck up the sperm to make sure I get it all?

Hopefulltwo, it sounds like we're doing the same thing. I was worried about air in the syringe but it sounds like old mama has a plan. I was worried about sterilization issues with the preseed if put it on a napkin but if that's worked for you old mama I may try that.
  • EMG_RELEMG_REL Posts: 2,379
    edited November -1
    We've never even involved a needle, and sucking the sperm into needleless syringes has always been very easy (no pouring involved, either). Just a warning: if you are using an ICI vial, there won't be much room in the syringe for PreSeed. We've use the applicator that comes with it to insert some beforehand and let it sit in there for about ten minutes while the sperm thawed; then, we would squirt some on the tip of the sperm-filled syringe before inseminating. It worked with my DP three years ago. Good luck!
    wqr43o.jpg
    IRcim4.png
    iaXMm4.png
  • gprime11gprime11 Posts: 228
    edited November -1
    A 3 ml syringe wouldn't fit in the top of the sperm vial, and there was no way I trust myself to pour it into the syringe. I did not use a catheter, so did use a needle to suck up the swimmers. The question is, how big is your needle? 20g or smaller is probably going to be difficult, and I would worry about damaging them. I used a 16g needle, 18g would work as well. Then sucked up a little air afterward to make sure there wasn't anything stuck in the needle. Removed the needle, pushed out the air, and put it where you need it. Bigger needles can be found at most feed stores. We use them for vaccinating livestock.
  • SPJ&ESPJ&E Posts: 874 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    No needle at all. But like others said, with that size syringe, it may not fit in the vial to suck up the swimmers. The vials are almost the exact same size as a AAA battery. The 1cc needless syringes are really thin (like ones used for insulin), so no trouble fitting it in the vial. I ordered mine on Ebay (brand new/sterile/packaged indivdually). You can also get them from a vet though, actually. I noticed they are exactly the same as the ones our vet uses and gives us with pet medications.
    Mom to P (13), J (11), E (6), and Q (born December 2017)
  • tyababyhopestyababyhopes Posts: 113
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the replies. I went to the doctor today and took my syringe with me. I thought I could make it work but the needle was just too small for the preseed. But, she didn't want me to use preseed in the syringe at all. She wants me to just put it on the speculum. Then, she gave me two different sizes of syringes. That way I have a total of 3 sizes and I can just suck the sperm straight into the syringe from the vial and not worry about the needle at all.

On the way out the tech gave me a catheter in case I get up the courage to do an ICI instead of an IVI. Since I'm doing this alone I didn't want to risk hurting myself but if I can see the cervix opening clearly then I'll do an ICI.

The good news. I had 3 good eggs but one in particular was big and excellent according to the doctor. I can't wait to give myself the shot and do the insemination. Wish me luck!
  • WannabeasinglemamaWannabeasinglemama Posts: 969
    edited November -1
    ICI is to be used vaginally. Sperm travel thru the cervix, hence the name ICI. It's very risky trying to put the ICI into just your cervix bc if you go too far (which is not very far actually) you will squirt into the uterus. Unwashed sperm into the uterus will cause major cramping.

Since you have ICI, just place sperm outside of cervix right on the os to be safe.
    Nicole-SMBC-39y/o-TTC since Jan. 2013
    IUI~BFP (BORN STILL) AT 16w5d 4/3/14
    Chemicals~IUI 7/24/14;8/21;BFNs~9/25;10/19;IVF#1-2/21/15~No embies made to blast.
    IVF#2-BFP~4/16 trans. 2 embies
    MIdqadD.jpgMIdqm5.png
    mf0Km4.png