Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.

When did you spill the beans about your pregnancy?

blkbrd3blkbrd3 Posts: 1,221 ✭✭
edited November -1 in Pregnancy and Babies
When did you announce your pregnancy to the world? Before getting pregnant I thought I could wait until I was 6 months or so along before sharing with the world. While that's still an option, I don't think I have it in me to wait that long.

I'm torn about when to share with my family and larger group of friends.

I'm just under eight weeks. I've had my first ultrasound Friday but will go back in a week for another look. Due to the shape of my uterus my RE could hear the heartbeat with the Doppler but he couldn't get a good look at the baby. He's hoping to get a better look after baby has had a week to grow. I've been thinking about spilling the beans after getting good ultrasound results next week.

I've also been thinking about waiting until I've had genetic screening in my tenth week. My grandmother always recommended waiting until after the 14th week just to be safe. I have to think that prenatal medicine has improved since the 1930s, 1940s, 1950s, and 1960s when she was having children.

When did you tell your family and friends? Did you, or do you, regret telling them when you did? Would you do it differently next time if there is another pregnancy in your future?

Comments

• scorpiogrl7scorpiogrl7 Posts: 1,386
    edited November -1
    I told everyone as soon as the second line appeared. But I was doing IVF, and everyone already knew about that. People were already asking me if it worked before I could even test.
    ZVvim5.png
  • aplusaaplusa Posts: 1,919
    edited November -1
    We told my immediate family between 4-6 weeks. I also told five close friends around 8 weeks. My partner told her family the day we found out it was twins at 6w5d.

We told our work places at 12 weeks on the dot. (End of first trimester in my mind.)

We told our friends at 18 weeks.

My boss knew we were doing IVF, as did one co-worker, and my boss found it appropriate to say things to said co-worker about how she knew it didn't work and she could just tell. She was such a nice person ....
    7NZpm4.png
    Lucky Cycle 14: IVF!! Antagonist Cycle with Lupron Trigger
  • K&HK&H Posts: 3,368 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    We told immediate family at 6wks because it was Christmas. We would've waited longer otherwise. We didnt tell the wider world until 13/14wks, somewhere in there. I didn't tell my work, which was a job i was leaving the month before she was due, at all really, and mentioned it casually to some coworkers probably around 7 months or so. It just was not a supportive environment and there was no need to share.
    GOzIm4.png
    hAO7m4.png
    CmQMm4.png
  • GoobieGoobie Posts: 3,515
    edited November -1
    We had a very early miscarriage, and had told no one we were trying, so it sucked to go through that alone. Both babies we have now announced within days of the BFP.
    tt125c22.aspx

Need to update a ticker, Silas Anthony Jordon born Oct 11, 2013. 6th baby, so much love!
  • ShannyShanny Posts: 2,456
    edited November -1
    However long it takes to dial a phone once I saw the word pregnant, that's how long I "waited". It was maybe a few days before I told everyone under the sun. I have no regrets and would do it all over again even at my advanced age. I just don't believe in "waiting in case something happens". What an awful way to think, IMO. I understand people have suffered losses and that I'm sure changes everything. But I hadn't and I saw no reason to think anything other than my pregnancy would result in a healthy baby.
    image_zps64579b54.png
  • JayJayJayJay Posts: 1,192
    edited November -1
    Told my family and close friends immidiately - told my mom and sister the night I found out. It really wasn't a secret from that point on and my mom told all kinds of people straight away too but if wasn't until my first ultrasound at 8 weeks that I posted on Facebook. I don't regret it for a second and would do it the same way again and again. I just felt like no matter what happened the baby was there at that point - he made me a mother from that point on, and I wanted people to know about him.
  • scifimomscifimom Posts: 1,173
    edited November -1
    close friends and immediate family right away. extended family, work, and the rest of the world at 6 moths. although some work clients could tell. ;) i wore a sweatshirt or other things to mask it in public.
    EyNNm4.png
    zjng3tj.jpgzjngm4.png
  • friendamyfriendamy Posts: 588
    edited November -1
    I told my immediate family and a few close friends within minutes of my BFP :) everyone else found out after my first u/s at 9w.

i, too, had an early miscarriage and going through that without the support of my friends and family was difficult. only my parents really knew.

I can understand wanting to wait to make sure everything is ok, but I also know that until that baby is in your arms, you won't be sure everything is ok... you know? enjoy this pregnancy, every minute of it. and celebrate with those who will love this person the minute they know of his/her impending arrival :)
    Amy (39)
    DS (7) - d#470
    Boy, n.: a noise with dirt on it.

age.png
  • m&smomm&smom Posts: 122
    edited November -1
    I told a few close friends within the first month. I did not tell family until 15 weeks. I told my employees when I was 6 1/2 months pregnant with the twins.
  • irisgrace61irisgrace61 Posts: 203
    edited November -1
    I am 20 weeks & still haven't told everyone - I am larger, so it is not noticeable -2 of our boys don't even know - I told 2 of my sisters at 15 weeks & some close friends - That is it -

I had a second trimester loss, last time & I just couldn't tell sooner

I don't think there is a right answer - just what is comfortable for you -

Congratulations!
  • shauna2710shauna2710 Posts: 769 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    DH told our families because he already had a trip planned to WA and I was 6 weeks pregnant. We told everyone else at 8 weeks when we found out we were having twins.

For our second pregnancy, I think we will wait until the third trimester or until I am obviously showing. I could hide things still at 24 weeks. This is only because my first pregnancy was so rough, people will have opinions about us having another baby.
    Cycle 6 was my lucky cycle! BFP!!!
    EDD 12/13/2013
    It's identical TWINS! They're GIRLS!
    7/20/2013 Sweet Baby A lost her battle with IUGR.
    8/26/2013 Feisty Baby B was born via emergency CSection 16 weeks premature
  • blkbrd3blkbrd3 Posts: 1,221 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    @ Aplusa Your employer sounded like a real... peach.

Thank you all for sharing your choices and how that impacted you. You helped me realize my anxiety about sharing my pregnancy really had more to do with my fears of loosing the baby. Since I really have no control over how my pregnancy progresses, I'm going to do my best to relax and just have fun with it.

This morning I made some calls and sent out some pregnancy announcements. And I'll keep taking this pregnancy one day at a time.
  • gonnabeamommasoongonnabeamommasoon Posts: 257
    edited November -1
    I had two early M/C. The first one was at a little over 7wks and I told everyone. But then it hurt when someone would ask me 6mo to a year later where my baby was. So the second time I waited to tell. Well I lost that one too and it hurt even more that no ne even knew that my precious little child was here for a short short while. It broke my heart. So, with this pregnancy, I told my whole family the day I found out, told work the next day, and told FB friends the night I told my work. So everyone knew before my missed period that my eggo was preggo. :-D
  • cocobaycocobay Posts: 1,318
    edited November -1
    We told close family and friends immediately. We told everyone else and made a FB announcement 2 days after the BFP. I ended up getting a close friend who was a photographer to snap a few pictures the day after our BFP so we posted those to announce on FB. We were way too excited not to tell and I personally don't feel the need to wait until it's "safe". But that is what works for my family, everyone is different.
  • poems0431poems0431 Posts: 337
    edited November -1
    I told my mom and a close friend as soon as I found out. I told everyone else when I was two months along.
    IT'S A BOY!
    1st beta 456 at 15dpo
    2nd beta 6000 at 22 dpo
    NuNSm5.png
  • ZenZen Posts: 2,942
    edited September 2013
    With my first BFP I didn't tell anyone and like Goobie, had to cope with the m/c that followed all alone. With my second sticky BFP, I told one person very early, a few friends at 6 weeks, and announced to family when I got my ultrasound pictures at 7 weeks. I did not say anything at work until 3 months though.
    AfUDuhU.jpgAfUDm4.png