Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.

Nutribullet & baby food talk

scifimomscifimom Posts: 1,173
edited November -1 in Pregnancy and Babies
Hi, so, I'm really happy about the nutribullet I recently received as a gift. Plenty of you must have seen the infomercial. It's basically a really high powerd blender that's easy to clean and it's compact.

I made S some green mush a few times. Today it was baby greens, avocado, chia, pear, and coconut water all blended into a pudding. It tasted really good!

Anyone use this machine for baby food? Or would you like to share any homemade baby food recipes? Or what's your favorite baby food making devise? Have fun!
EyNNm4.png
zjng3tj.jpgzjngm4.png

Comments

• ShannyShanny Posts: 2,456
    edited November -1
    I used something with A...can't remember the name of it. When Kate was born I made one of my all time best parenting decisions and did baby led weaning. My favorite baby food making device became a fork! If you haven't read about this yet, I highly recommend it. Why we make things so much harder on ourselves I have yet to figure out!
    image_zps64579b54.png
  • irisgrace61irisgrace61 Posts: 203
    edited November -1
    i got a lot of help from wholesome baby food - it is a great website - I just used my food processor - I bought a lot of frozen organic veggies & fruits b/c the frozen still have a good deal of nutrients

Enjoy!
  • scifimomscifimom Posts: 1,173
    edited November -1
    I read a little about baby led weaning. If I am correct, this includes letting baby eat finger foods. Like picking up avocado with her hands. However, I am not comfortable with my baby eating anything that isn't super mushed to a pudding, no chunks. This is just me, not a science based opinion, personally I am afraid of choking. Plus, I resonate with the idea of the mother chewing foods and spitting into the babys mouth. And since that is not a common practice in our culture, using the little blender works for the purpose of mastication. It's pretty easy to give my baby a little smoothie pudding, then add some more ingredients to the blender for my smoothie. We are still eating the same foods, which is a concept that seems to align with baby led.

Another reason I went with the more traditional baby food route (no white rice cereal, though!) is because the baby daycare teacher felt it would be helpful for her to have some solids. I imagine we could perhaps do baby led at daycare, but it was easy to just let the teacher give my baby some more traditional baby foods. Luckily this hasn't made my baby take any less milk.

Anyways, anyone about to be a new mom, read up on the baby led weaning. I wouldn't want to sway anyone away from it just because I'm not ready for it.
    EyNNm4.png
    zjng3tj.jpgzjngm4.png
    edited November -1
    I did use the wholesome baby website if for no other reason than to just plain get comfortable with the idea of giving my baby food! She certainly wanted it. I'm going to take another peek. Thanks.
    EyNNm4.png
    zjng3tj.jpgzjngm4.png
  • irisgrace61irisgrace61 Posts: 203
    edited November -1
    i forgot to say that I froze the food in ice cube trays - perfect size
  • JaisJais Posts: 384
    edited November -1
    There is a girl that I follow on YouTube who mixes her food with just about everything that a baby that age can eat. I know they introduce foods at different stages by age. Anyway she only buys organic and mixes fruits with veggies. Her daughter seems to enjoy it all. She does use a machine that will mush it up enough to go into those squeezable containers. It is so neat. I can post a link if you are interested. She also freezes food and puts them in ice cube trays too.
  • summerfunsummerfun Posts: 511
    edited November -1
    I have a baby bullet and love it. We aren't doing solids yet but I started making and freezing to stock up. Apples and sweet potatoes so far.

Jais... post the link. I would like to look.
    e4d5a024-bfbe-4943-a743-499ff97816a8_zps27bdb2c2.jpg
    Ho0Am5.png
    edited November -1
    There are a couple of them but here is the first one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcqkiwcbz0U
  • A&JA&J Posts: 1,825
    edited November -1
    I also have used the wholesome baby foods website on and off with both kids and find it to be a great resource. Elliott is really into his solids. We have had the most success with blending, mashing, and finely chopping different fruits and veggies, and some chicken. I bake a lot of foods, steam some and like to try various combinations and use lots of spices to keep it interesting. I think Elliott's favorite and one of the easiest blends is avocado and banana-- actually he likes avocado alone or with anything we have on hand. I love tossing one in a bag with a spoon for food on the go! This is the same route I went when I began feeding my daughter solids. She is just over 2.5 now and LOVES to eat a wide variety of whole foods-- her enthusiasm is what keeps me motivated to try new recipes. Just have fun with it!
    th_img-191_zps90b22fea.jpg
    th_img-109_zps4769e6c4.jpg
    edited October 2013
    This one is long because she does vlog about other things but hopefully you can skip and find what you want. She starts cooking around 15:00 so you can skip there. I am still looking for one more. She had gotten loads of fruit and veggies to blend together

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OG-vNXwfVyU
  • LindseyC87LindseyC87 Posts: 94
    edited November -1
    When I did purees, I just used my magic bullet and sometime a food processer when I wanted things a little chunckier. She got to the point that she wont eat purees anymore or let you even feed her. Since 7 months we have done the baby led weaning and it is AWESOME but messy. She eats everything we make like chicken, pork, steak, whole green beans, cooked beans, rice, broccoli chunks, carrots, celery, olives, pickles, etc. She has never ONCE choked on anything and has taught herself to take small bites. She is 10.5 months old and her doctor is so impressed with her eating skills and her love for textures.

But her favorite for purees were
    Sweet potato and carrot mixed
    lima beans
    green beens
    green beans and carrots mixed
    Mango and banana mix
    Apple and sweet potato
    #3 Due 3/26/14 and IT'S A BOY
  • poems0431poems0431 Posts: 337
    edited November -1
    I have the nutribullet on my baby registry. I am really excited about getting it because I plan on making my own organic baby food. If you do a search on homemade baby food on YouTube you'll find tons of videos of moms with great recipes ideas.
    IT'S A BOY!
    1st beta 456 at 15dpo
    2nd beta 6000 at 22 dpo
    NuNSm5.png
  • FlowergirlFlowergirl Posts: 2,040
    edited November -1
    I have a baby bullet and loved it the few times I used it! I had every intention of using it a ton, but my LC gave me the book on baby led weaning and we tried it and he LOVED it. Since 6 months, he has eaten whatever we eat and loves a vast variety of nutritious foods. Babies who are not fed purées, learn to only bite off what they can chew/swallow and to push food that isn't ready to be swallowed to the front of their mouth. His little friends who are several months older than him, still often gag and forget to chew their food properly, but he has never once came close to choking on anything we've given him to eat, and he eats everything we eat. He ate a huge bowl of chili the other night for dinner! :)
    After 9 yrs & 1 devastating loss, we got our BFP at 9DPO ~ and welcomed our beautiful son on Halloween! Best treat ever!!

a3cmlv.jpg
    edited November -1
    That's actually pretty interesting to hear that the baby learns how to regulate his bites! I can see this fitting nicely with a more natural cosleeping and breastfeeding lifestyle. Perhaps still chewing certains things like nuts for the baby.

On the nutribullet. I have a commercial vitamix and I'm pleasantly suprized it works just as well!
    EyNNm4.png
    zjng3tj.jpgzjngm4.png
  • ZenZen Posts: 2,942
    edited November -1
    If I went the baby-led-weaning route my 5 year old would still be on a diet of milk and purees! If I had it to do over though, I'd make my own baby foods once we passed the stage 1 introductions :)
    AfUDuhU.jpgAfUDm4.png
  • ShannyShanny Posts: 2,456
    edited November -1
    Zen - you need to do a little reading up on what baby led weaning actually is!
    image_zps64579b54.png
  • FlowergirlFlowergirl Posts: 2,040
    edited October 2013
    Shanny wrote:
    Zen - you need to do a little reading up on what baby led weaning actually is!
    Yep, I agree! Because there ARE no purées in baby led weaning! Lol :P

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/161519021X

This is the book I was lent and highly recommend it for anyone who may be interested. It has a lot of great information and I can tell you it really does work!
    After 9 yrs & 1 devastating loss, we got our BFP at 9DPO ~ and welcomed our beautiful son on Halloween! Best treat ever!!

a3cmlv.jpg
  • ZenZen Posts: 2,942
    edited November -1
    LOL! I meant it as a joke. Shiloh does eat now but given the choice not to? She'd opt out. I had fun talking with a new mom at the pediatrician's office today. Her 7 month old likes banana, French toast, puffs, and all sorts of other foods. The baby girl was adorable, healthy, and happy. The woman said that she kept being told of how and when to introduce foods but it made no sense because the baby just reaches for what she wants and eats it!

I assured her she was doing fine and there was no need for baby food if her baby didn't want it and was doing great on table food. For my part, despite having babysat and cared for other peoples babies for years, I read every book and update under the sun and tried to follow directions that even now I laugh about. But I still make sure she gets her 2-3 milks, and 3 proteins, and 4-5 fruits/veggies daily. Just in case!

My 12 year old is in the 3rd percentile on weight and I've been thinking that with his love of fruits and veggies, one of those smoothie maker things would be great. He's not a baby by any means. But maybe I could sneak in yogurt and milk or peanut butter to add calories for the kid!
    AfUDuhU.jpgAfUDm4.png