Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Depressing Statistics

kk6021kk6021 Posts: 23
edited November -1 in Trying to Conceive
So I was looking at a local fertility clinic to consider a IUI procedure for our next try and these are the statistics they have:

The goal of ovulation induction with IUI as a treatment is to restore a woman’s fertility to the rate expected of someone her age if there were NO recognized issues of infertility. In general, this means that women through age 30 should achieve pregnancy on average 20-25% per month. Women 30-35 would have a slightly lower monthly success rate of 15-20% per month and those between ages 35-40 roughly have a 10-15% success rate per month. Women above age 40 drop considerably to below 10% with increasing risks of miscarriage as age increases.

Therefore, the maximum success rate that a woman could expect to achieve using fertility medications and IUI would be similar to their age specific success rate. In general, for Clomid with IUI this would range between 12-19% per month and with injectable gonadotropins with IUI this would range between 15-21% per month.

Seems like my chances with gambling would be higher :(

Comments

• Options
    blkbrd3blkbrd3 Posts: 1,221 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    They don't study everyone and they didn't study an entire group of women who are just like you. There are many women over 35 or 40 that conceive without intervention. What I needed to take from the "numbers" was that TTC is more of a marathon than a sprint. It may take time, but every BFN is likely moving me closer to my BFP.
  • Options
    FlowergirlFlowergirl Posts: 2,040
    edited October 2013
    After almost 9 years of trying sooo many different things, my first IUI with injectables worked. 2 out of 3 resulted in a pregnancy. Don't let the "statistics" discourage you!
    After 9 yrs & 1 devastating loss, we got our BFP at 9DPO ~ and welcomed our beautiful son on Halloween! Best treat ever!!

a3cmlv.jpg
  • Options
    JayJayJayJay Posts: 1,192
    edited November -1
    Don't let the numbers get to you. My mother got remarried at 39 and conceived my baby sister on her second month trying. She then conceived my youngest sister when the first was only 7 months old and she was VERY much not trying....and 41! She had a FAR easier time getting pregnant at 40 and 42 than I did in my mid 20s (it took me almost two years.) Every woman is unique so looking at statistics to see what will happen for you is pretty pointless.
  • Options
    ShannyShanny Posts: 2,456
    edited November -1
    My favorite stat: it only takes one:) be positive!

Jayjay - as someone (41) and very much not trying, I do not like your mom's story at all! Haha
    image_zps64579b54.png
  • Options
    JayJayJayJay Posts: 1,192
    edited November -1
    Shanny wrote:

Jayjay - as someone (41) and very much not trying, I do not like your mom's story at all! Haha

Lol!! Ah but see...you just might get a little accidental second boob sucker after all! ;-)
  • Options
    piewacketkittypiewacketkitty Posts: 96
    edited November -1
    Those statistics mean nothing because they do not take into consideration all women of all ages getting pregnant, only those who go and seek fertility help. I have read in-depth on this because I too read that and thought, wow, only to later research on my own and discover those stats are very skewed negatively. Case in point: I got pregnant at age 43 on my first try. I had a healthy girl, now age 2, when I was 3 days before my 44th birthday. And, my great-grandmother, who lived to 93, had my grandmother, and her younger sister when she was 43 and 45 years old (she had 4 previous children at an earlier age after moving from Europe). Statistics never take into account everyone out there, don't let that deter you. And btw, my mom had me at age 34 and my grandmother, whose mom was 43 when she had her, is now 101 years old. Age makes no difference. What matters is your mental focus and your physical health. Age does not matter. Be positive and prepare mentally and physically and make up your own stats, I did and others have too.
  • Options
    FlowergirlFlowergirl Posts: 2,040
    edited November -1
    Shanny wrote:

While I know this was more of a joking comment, which is partially true :), I will mention that this is not an actual stat, and it actually doesn't "just take one". There's a reason there are millions, and a reason you're considered infertile if you have less than 20mil in a single ejaculation. Watch the documentary on sperm sometime (it's called The Great Sperm Race possibly?) They actually travel in giant groups of millions, and need each other to guide them. Just think of them as normal guys - they need their friends by their side to do anything useful ! Lol!!

This is the reason that my DH , who does have a count of less than 200, only a -1% chance of conceiving naturally.
    After 9 yrs & 1 devastating loss, we got our BFP at 9DPO ~ and welcomed our beautiful son on Halloween! Best treat ever!!

a3cmlv.jpg
  • Options
    alex76alex76 Posts: 79
    edited November -1
    I have recently decided that statistics are stupid, and I will no longer pay attention to them for anything.
  • Options
    sgibson0082sgibson0082 Posts: 202
    edited November -1
    I read the same thing but I'm not letting them get me down... It seems like alot of women have positive results by using ICI and IUI
    TTC #1= October - ICI-BFN
    #2= February 2014- IUI 4 hours- BFN
    #3= IUI- 10 hours 2nd IUI- 33 hours
    #4= June 2014- 2 vials - BFN
    image.jpg
  • Options
    sgibson0082sgibson0082 Posts: 202
    edited November -1
    I read the same thing but I'm not letting them get me down... It seems like alot of women have positive results by using ICI and IUI
    TTC #1= October - ICI-BFN
    #2= February 2014- IUI 4 hours- BFN
    #3= IUI- 10 hours 2nd IUI- 33 hours
    #4= June 2014- 2 vials - BFN
    image.jpg
  • Options
    blkbrd3blkbrd3 Posts: 1,221 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My good friend's mom just had "the talk" with her primary care physician.

At 62 she thought she was beyond needing to use birth control or consider family planning. She was wrong. After seeing her physician for unexpected bleeding her test results showed she and her 64 year old husband had recently conceived without trying. Problems with fibroid tumors disrupted the pregnancy.

Now that her tumors are gone she has to pick a birth control plan as she doesn't want to be a mom to a new baby at 63.

Moral of the story? Everyone is different. Everyone's fertility is different. Don't let another person's history get you down.
  • Options
    TurtlehartTurtlehart Posts: 834
    edited November -1
    I'm so glad I came across this post! At 43 and trying to conceive our first, the statistics have been daunting, discouraging, and depressing. I would have loved to have started this process years ago, but I hadn't met the right person to share my life with, and I was going through chemo for a clotting disorder... So I had no choice but to wait for at least three years before TTC. I have been told there is no reason I can't conceive, so I choose to wait patiently. I did recently schedule an appointment with an RE, but will continue to try at home until that appointment date in December.
    Thank you all for the positive comments, and kk6021- don't give up!
    Our sweet boy has arrived after TTC'ing for 4 years!
  • Options
    LindseyC87LindseyC87 Posts: 94
    edited November -1
    I think the statistics are crap IMPO! I am 4 for 4 with injectables so either im just one fertile mertile or they don't take enough people into account.
    #3 Due 3/26/14 and IT'S A BOY