Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.

Getting sick a lot, tips?

scifimomscifimom Posts: 1,173
edited November -1 in Pregnancy and Babies
Does anyone have any advise on helping to prevent colds and flues? My baby goes to daycare and is having her third cold in a row with out a break in between. She still nurses and gets expressed breastmilk at daycare (although I will start slowing down on pumping sometime in her second year but will continue nursing). She gets those infant multivitamin drops with iron and vit D daily. She eats either brown rice cereal or oatmeal cereal with jar fruit or veggie and breastmilk at daycare. Which will be changing to food from the cafeteria, hopefully there are decent options, will be crossing this bridge soon enough. I may need to pack some food for her, but I hope not until she goes off to school! At home she eats things like organic pasture eggs and whole grain toast and whole grain pasta or quinoa with veggies. I have been trying to be more consistent with giving her green smoothies but she prefers food she can pick up and feed herself. She always has spring water available with in reach at home and I encourage her to drink it.

Any tips? Anything you have found helpful? I'm wondering if some extra vit D or maybe I can get her a good vit C supplement? I think more of her food being fresh rather than cooked would be helpful, so perhaps I can work on that. Its hard when two of the meals are at daycare, however, i can pit effort into it. The pedi she saw last night said constant colds back to back can last all season!!! People say kids get sick a lot, they mean it!
EyNNm4.png
zjng3tj.jpgzjngm4.png

Comments

• tinydancertinydancer Posts: 1,210
    edited November -1
    Herbs for Kids tincture. I would use the one with atragulus or echinachea in it. I also use a few other types of herbs for kids with elderberry in it as well. I like almost all of them as long as they are glycerin based.
  • coryandamandacoryandamanda Posts: 1,527
    edited November -1
    From what I have seen from family and friends all over the country, this season was especially bad for illnesses. Our kids have always been very healthy but this season was one thing after another for about 2 months. Granted, there are 4 of them to catch things plus a wife that works in a hospital AND we have a kid in PreK and one in Kindergarten so we are pretty much always exposed to a germfest BUT it seemed everyone was getting sick everywhere. We have a healthy diet and the kids take their regular multivitamin plus zinc and Echinacea. Elderberry is a great suggestion as well and oscillococcinum at the first sign of anything cold/flu. It hasn't seemed to keep us from getting sick but it seems that the illnesses we do get are much less severe and don't hang around nearly as long as everyone else who has the same illnesses.
    July 4, 2015
    image_2.jpgu
  • wateringcan7wateringcan7 Posts: 200
    edited November -1
    There is a liquid product by natures sunshine called VSC. It is a combo of Chinese herbs that are suppose to prevent viruses. I use to be the manager of a health food store and it was what we always recommended for children along with immune boosters such as vitamin c and elderberry. Just be careful with the vitamin c because just a little too much can cause stomach upset.
    #1 IUI 11/19/13 unmedicated BFN
    #2 IUI 12/22/13 clomid 50 mg day 3-7 BFN #3 IUI 12/23/13 BFN
    #4 IUI 2/14/14 unmedicated BFN

th_image-9.jpg
  • MNmommasMNmommas Posts: 1,081
    edited November -1
    I think that's just how it is when you have a group of kids together in daycare. They love sharing their germs! I know my brother & I had our fair share when we were babies too because of that. But they say it strengthens your immune system so that's a silver lining to hold on to! More illnesses now could mean less illnesses a few years down the road. I'd be wary giving too many supplements since she's not even a year old yet. You're already doing the best thing you can by nursing her and giving her breastmilk. That lets her use your immune system to help her fight those nasty viruses plus gives her the best nutrition.
    Donor 7070, births 2012 & 2013
  • annerbonesannerbones Posts: 1,812
    edited November -1
    When Maggie was between 5 months and 3 years old she caught everything at daycare, she had strep throat straight for a year on top of every cold or flu that came around. This year we moved (she is 3.5y) and I have been running the humidifier every night with drops of lavender and eucalyptus oil in the little scent cup it has. Neither one of us has had a cold, we have had the stomach flu, which has been pretty intense around here. I am telling everyone about the humidifier, lavender oil, and eucalyptus oil combination. This is the healthiest she has been!!
    raF7m7.png
    Progesterone therapy and baby aspirin daily

Two miscarriages in between (August 2012 - same donor as Maggie, and December 2014 with husband)
    Maggie
    PNa0m7.png
  • JayJayJayJay Posts: 1,192
    edited November -1
    According to my pediatrician, kids that aren't in daycare are sick (I think these were the numbers) on average 13 times a year, and kids that are in daycare are sick on average 26 times a year. BUT kids that haven't been in daycare make it up when they get in school because try haven't built their immune system up, so it's not a bad thing for them, even though we hate it when they are sick! He also says that most of it is air born so Lysol and hand sanitizer a really don't do much to kill the germs that are actually getting is sick. This is a bad time of year for it like others have said. Just look at is as building her immune system - and that really is important!
  • scifimomscifimom Posts: 1,173
    edited January 2014
    Thanks for the great tips, but the reassurance especially. I'm resonating with the eucalyptus and lavender tip. I just bought a new humidifier this winter and no scent holder, maybe next year! Or I can look into if I can add it to the water itself, I won't do it unless I know for sure it's OK.

Thanks everyone! This last cold, the worst of it seemed to pass quick and she was very chipper last night!
    EyNNm4.png
    zjng3tj.jpgzjngm4.png
  • annerbonesannerbones Posts: 1,812
    edited November -1
    Scifi mom - if you have a scentsy warmer, take the wax out of it and put the oil in there. Maggie started getting a cough, so I mixed eucalyptus and lavender oil with apricot seed oil (carrier oil could use olive oil) and rubbed it on her feet then covered with socks at night. I swear that this is what is keeping both of us healthy this year.
    raF7m7.png
    Progesterone therapy and baby aspirin daily

Two miscarriages in between (August 2012 - same donor as Maggie, and December 2014 with husband)
    Maggie
    PNa0m7.png
  • scifimomscifimom Posts: 1,173
    edited November -1
    Good idea annerbones! I think I'm going to look into the elderberry, too. Thanks!
    EyNNm4.png
    zjng3tj.jpgzjngm4.png