Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.

Dropped the smiley reader in the toilet!

scifimomscifimom Posts: 1,173
edited November -1 in Trying to Conceive
Now I have to spend like $60 for a new box just to get the reader. Anyone else ever do this? Ugh. I should of put it in a bag of rice right away and see if that worked. But I was too tired last night to bother. I definitely wasn't working this morning!
EyNNm4.png
zjng3tj.jpgzjngm4.png
Tagged:

Comments

• RedHeatherRedHeather Posts: 600 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why so expensive? I get a box for something like $25 at Walmart.
  • allisontballisontb Posts: 144
    edited May 2014
    This is something I would not recommend leaving up to chance, but I had an entire box of smileys and their reader under the sink for 45 min while hot water blasted out from the supply line before someone was able to turn it off. The reader had little condensation bubbles INSIDE the screen, so I considered it a total loss and bought another box.

Just out of curiosity, I used both the "flood survivor" smiley tests and reader and the new ones (at the same time) for my next cycle, and they showed the same results each time.

..I'd still buy another if I dropped it in the toilet, though. lol
    TTC #1: 07/2012--BFN, TTC #2: 09/2012--BFN, TTC #3: 11/2012--BFN, TTC #4: 12/2012--BFN, TTC #5: 08/2014--BFN, TTC #6: 09/2014--BFN
  • scifimomscifimom Posts: 1,173
    edited November -1
    Red, when I went to purchase smileys last month, I was holding my pee and needed to stop and by some smileys asap. I stopped at the closest pharmacy and the only thing they had were the 'advanced' model. I always buy the 20 pack rather than the pack of 7 so they last a long time. The 20 pack happened to be $60. That's what I get for waiting till the last second! I have some sticks left over so I had to buy another pack of the advanced just to get the reader. At least I saved over $10 bucks this time because I used a family members employee discount.

allison, I tried the reader this morning and it didn't work. :/
    EyNNm4.png
    zjng3tj.jpgzjngm4.png
  • EMG_RELEMG_REL Posts: 2,379
    edited November -1
    1. I always had at least two readers in my possession. I don't believe the BS that you can't use a reader for more than one cycle and with different boxes of sticks because they always worked fine for me.
    2. I ordered my 20 packs from Amazon, which I recommend.

Sorry for the frustration!
    wqr43o.jpg
    IRcim4.png
    iaXMm4.png
  • tiffspradtiffsprad Posts: 557
    edited November -1
    uggghhh I know this feeling! I think I had an old one still around that I used until I bought a new box. I was paranoid though that it would not be accurate so just bite the bullet and get a new box.
  • allisontballisontb Posts: 144
    edited November -1
    Bummer, scifimom! I personally hate the "advanced" version and feel much more comfortable with the regular.
    TTC #1: 07/2012--BFN, TTC #2: 09/2012--BFN, TTC #3: 11/2012--BFN, TTC #4: 12/2012--BFN, TTC #5: 08/2014--BFN, TTC #6: 09/2014--BFN
  • che_aramiche_arami Posts: 787
    edited November -1
    i second the recommendation for getting them on amazon. they even have a (small) discount if you order them to come every month for multiple months.
    got our miracle BFP on first IVF after 3 years TTC. DS born may 20, 2015 after emergency cesarean. all are doing well and trying to figure out this new journey!!
  • scifimomscifimom Posts: 1,173
    edited May 2014
    I found a twenty pack of regular smileys for about $35 after shipping. Thanks for the tip. Won't need them for a while now, lol.

On amazon
    EyNNm4.png
    zjng3tj.jpgzjngm4.png