Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.

Did losing weight help you to get pregnant?

ana8284ana8284 Posts: 628
edited May 2014 in Trying to Conceive
So I'm coming to terms with the fact that my weight may be one of the things holding me back from getting pregnant. While I know that losing weight can help with my PCOS, the PCOS also has made it that much harder to lose the weight. While in my opinion I carry my weight well and do not look like I weigh as much as I do, I have always been heavy and am over 100 lbs overweight as it relates to "what I should weigh" for my height (I'm only 5'2) The funny thing is is while I'm not a perfect eater by any source of the imagination, I also do not usually over indulge either. I know carbs are not my friend especially as it relates to the PCOS, but I stay pretty busy and it's so much easier to pop a granola bar in my purse for a snack then to try to worry about refrigerating carrot sticks or apple slices (I don't care for them room temperature).

In any case, I want a baby more than anything and you would think that it would motivate me tremendously to lose the weight, but I think sometimes the stress and occassional depression from not getting pregnant aids to my weight even more. I don't tend to gain much weight but I just have such a hard time getting it off too. Oddly enough neither of my REs have really made it seem like my weight is a big deal with conceiving and both have told me that it might help "some" but that I have just as much chance to conceive at my current weight. But I just don't know, and of course I want to be healthy for me and especially my baby when I do get pregnant.

Any way all of this to ask, have any of you TTC then lost a significant amount of weight and ended up pregnant? I need some motivation! :/
27zc85c.jpg

IUI #1- 07/12-BFN, IUI #2 08/12-BFN, ICI at home 10/12- BFN, Back to Back IUI #3 08/13-BFN, IUI #4 09/13-BFN, IUI #5 03/14- BFN, IUI #6 05/14- BFN, IUI #7 06/14-BFN
KD-10/14-BFN KD-12/14-BFN IUI #8 3/15 BFN, IUI #9 4/15 BFN, IUI #10 6/17 BFN
Potential Adoptive Parents- Baby Due November 2017!
IUI #8 04/15- BFN
Tagged:

Comments

• PatienceisavirtuePatienceisavirtue Posts: 777
    edited November -1
    I have heard mixed opinions about this topic. I have lost some weight but I also do not have a baby...sooo I am not sure how much help that is for you. My SIL just had a baby and she was at least 100 heavier than my heaviest weight. My sister on the other hand, lost some weight and got pregnant a few months later (to be fair, she was not trying and I am not sure if the weight was an issue or not).

My primary care doctor made it seem like my weight was the end of the freakin world and that if I was not a toothpick that I would never get pregnant or accomplish anything in my life. My OBGYN, on the other hand, did not mention a thing about my weight and when I asked him about it, he said that he did not feel it was a concern for me but said that they "always recommend weight loss" if you are overweight. I think whether or not this helps is so individual...but statistics do say that reducing your weight by just 5-10% can increase your fertility odds.

I also found this online: http://www.shadygrovefertility.com/newsletter/smallest-weight-loss-can-improve-your-fertility
    TTC #1: 1-5 BFN; 6- BFP
    TTC #2: since June 2016...
  • whoknowsxwhoknowsx Posts: 89
    edited November -1
    I have pcos and my RE basically told me the same thing. My problem isn't getting pregnant, but staying pregnant through out the first trimester. I don't know if your on Metformin, but that can help lose weight and help your body use the extra insulin that isn't used properly. I am not diabetic, but my pcos mimics diabetes so bad, that my RE ran the diabetes test twice to make sure.

Due to my age, my weight, and having pcos, I wanted to take off at least 30 percent of my body weight before getting pregnant. I could take off more than 30 percent due to my weight, but that will due and RE agreed that I will take metformin through out pregnancy to cut down on risk of miscarriage and keep pcos in check better. My RE said she doesn't usually request people to do that, but with my case she gave me this plan of action.

I wish you the best of luck and I know that with my pcos, eating a low sugar diet, lots of exercise, and drinking lots of water has helped reduce my weight a lot.
  • ana8284ana8284 Posts: 628
    edited November -1
    Thanks ladies! I take Glumetza because Metformin tore my stomach up badly being that I already have IBS, it has really helped me to maintain my weight but hasn't helped in losing the weight. Other than the PCOS and IBS and weight I am perfectly healthy, I have excellent blood pressure and blood sugar levels but I just struggle with the weight. I have been overweight for as long as I can remember so looks wise it's never been a devestating thing to me and in my head I'm one of the healthiest people I know, it's just in practice that I fall short. I've never had a BFP though my egg quality and quanitity have looked good every time we have tried. I rarely drink soda and tea and do not drink coffee, and I try to eat healthy for the most part but have a hard time getting more than a few pounds off. In all fairness though my activity levels could definitely be much better, I have a desk job and by the time I'm done in the afternoons most days I'm worthless to go to the gym. :P
    27zc85c.jpg

IUI #1- 07/12-BFN, IUI #2 08/12-BFN, ICI at home 10/12- BFN, Back to Back IUI #3 08/13-BFN, IUI #4 09/13-BFN, IUI #5 03/14- BFN, IUI #6 05/14- BFN, IUI #7 06/14-BFN
    IUI #8 04/15- BFN
  • seramzyseramzy Posts: 67
    edited November -1
    Following
    Together since July 2011; married Sept. 2013; TTC May 2014 bfn, June bfn, July bfn, August ttc
  • truemiraclestruemiracles Posts: 63
    edited November -1
    It is my understanding (and I'm by no means a professional but I do pay attention in school!) that weight only becomes a negative factor if it's affecting ovulation. I could lose some weight as well but I still have exact cycles that are very predictable. I always get LH surge when I expect it, I always get cramps about 24 hours after LH surge, and I always get the temp spike. So I would say if your cycles are very regular that your weight has absolutely nothing to do with it. Though mothers who are diabetics or have high blood pressure have their own set of issues, and those two often go hand in hand with being overweight.

That said, I am neither diabetic nor have high blood pressure and all my fertility tests came back normal, so from a medical standpoint, I don't think my weight is hurting my odds. The primary reason I've been TTC for 10 months is missing cycles due to previous KD not following through on most cycles and me choosing to keep trying with him longer than I should have. :P
    TTC #2
    April '14 - BFN
    May '14 - BFP (angel baby, 4 wks)
    June '14 - BFP (angel baby, 5 wks)
  • old mamaold mama Posts: 4,682
    edited May 2014
    Nope...I was desperate and despite never exercising started walking, watching every single bite, eating as much foods off the fertility foods list, avoiding everything that could be bad...didn't help a bit. But I see mom's out there living on junk food and pop, smoking cigarettes that pop those babies out!
  • christa020christa020 Posts: 9
    edited May 2014
    I am taller than you but equally overweight. I got pregnant 3 times at this weight. I know others that were heavy and couldn't get pregnant until they lost weight. As soon as this one girl I know lost weight she got pregnant. I think its a 50/50.. might be the issue might not be… couldn't hurt to walk more and eat more fruit and vege… (which I tell myself daily)
    Two moms to Be!!

Mom of 3 Girls (11,8,3) previous relationship
    Trying for #4 with my amazing wife.
  • JaisquaredJaisquared Posts: 72
    edited November -1
    I am in really awesome shape and still haven't been able to get pregnant.
    857b026b-33f8-47f1-833c-5a4cea757809_zps2a279b5a.jpg 8fc7b298-8172-4f96-b6a3-b933b214ffd3_zpsa74b4ff7.jpg
  • lsaeedrnlsaeedrn Posts: 382
    edited November -1
    I too have PCOS and have even put on Metformin. Though, it has not helped with aiding in weight loss my cycles are now very regular. No more spotting in between periods, and no surprise periods. PCOS is just an imbalance of hormones, and metformin helps to regulate those hormones. So, losing weight in my opinion is not the real issue it's the hormonal imbalance that needs to be fixed first. No matter how much weight you lose, if there's still a hormonal imbalance your chances at conceiving are lessened. I have also found that castor oil belly massages helps to clear the uterus. Making it much more fertile. Look it up on the net. I was put on metformin, performed at home castor oil massages and 1 month later I was pregnant. At the time, I weighed 190 pounds, was 5'3" and had been trying to have a baby for 10 years. Have a heart to heart talk with your doctor and see what they suggest. I also have adenomyosis, so my chances at having a baby were null....so I was told.
    Me(39) SMBC
    Tubal ligation(1999), Adenomyosis, Endometriosis
    DS (19 week preemie) DS (24 week preemie) ^^IC^^ Daughter(19) and Son(14) ^^FET #1: BFP...7 week mc (triplets). FET#2: March 2015(chemical) IVF #3: April 2015
  • Jenkins2014Jenkins2014 Posts: 78
    edited November -1
    Ana: are you trying at home or with your doctor? I am over weight also and according to the doctor I see and will be doing my insemination he said "you should lose weight but I can still get you pregnant at this weight, but I want a healthy pregnancy" so in my opinion its not weight, I think its all other factors.. I don't have PCOS though, so I cant relate to that, I had an ultrasound, HSG test and lab work and everything looked great, we will be inseminating at the end of June, with that cycle, our doctor recommended taking clomid to help with the insemination. It being our first time I am super nervous and researching everything.. :D
    edited November -1
    Jenkins 2014 yes I have been working with an RE since 2012 doing the insemination in office. I had an HSG in 2012 and everything else looks good other than the tiny cysts on my ovaries and irregular cycles. I asked my first doctor and he told me that losing weight sometimes helps promote menstrual regularity but I had just as much chance as someone who was average weight. My current doctor pretty much said it wouldn't hurt but wouldn't necessarily help either. :/ Good luck on your insem! We are on IUI #7 and currently in the TWW.
    27zc85c.jpg

IUI #8 04/15- BFN
  • Jenkins2014Jenkins2014 Posts: 78
    edited November -1
    Are you using any fertility drugs? And are you using the same donor? im just curious! best of luck for yall!
    edited May 2014
    Thanks! Yes, I take Glumetza daily (a form of Metformin), Clomid 100mg days 3-7 and an HCG trigger shot at ovulation time. We used the same donor for 4 tries now we are on a different one.
    27zc85c.jpg

IUI #8 04/15- BFN
  • melandfomelandfo Posts: 490
    edited November -1
    I will tell you about my experience, for what it is worth.
    My wife and I have been ttc since 9/2011. We have done 17 tries. 14 at home ICI's 4 of the 14 with a known donor the other 10 with frozen sperm. We have done 3 IUI's with reproductive endocrinologists. 2 with one doctor that were very poorly timed and a waste of money and then one with the RE I see now. After 13 tries I decided to focus on losing weight. I was really overweight, had PCOS but had regular periods and ovulated every month. I also have hypothyroidism. So I started off October 1st of last year working out an hour a day and eating 1700 calories a day. I eventually lowered my calories to 1500 and now walk 4-5 miles a day 5-6 days a week. I have now lost 83 lbs as of today but I did 3 more tries during losing the weight. I switched to the new RE in March and had the HSG and all of the blood work done. Then my cycle started 4/20, I did letrezole 5 mg cd 3-7 bravelle 150 cd 9 and then IUI on 5/2. I tested BFN on 12 dpo do I went ahead and ordered all of my meds and had my vial waiting at my doctors office for the next cycle. I got my BFP via FRER and beta on 14 dpo (faint line 13 dpo).

I do not know for certain that it was losing 80+ lbs, or adding in Bravelle, or the timing of the new RE. All I can say is that it can't hurt and for me it took losing weight. My BP is now 116/62 and my resting pulse went from 98 to 60. I feel better and I know that it can only have a positive effect.

I wish you good luck and baby dust!
    Courtney and Melissa
    TTC # 1 w/PCOS & Hypothyroid
    17 cycles finally BFP
    tt1c499a.aspx
    edited November -1
    Congrats melandfo on both your weight loss and your BFP! And yes mamainthemaking Honey Boo Boo's mom has conceived multiple times and I'm quite positive my eating and exercise habits are better than hers! ;)
    27zc85c.jpg

IUI #8 04/15- BFN
  • ttcmakes3ttcmakes3 Posts: 48
    edited November -1
    I'm also unaware of the scientific impact weight loss has on a BFP. But here is where we are! We started TTC with myself about 2 yrs ago and I was @ my heaviest. From that we had 2 failed IUI attempts, and couldn't help but blame part of it on my weight & lack of balanced diet. Dr. pretty much gave me an ultimatum...lose weight or else. Dr. also put my DP on medication for high blood pressure, which was diet (or lack there of) induced. We both took some "me time" from TTC and have lost a total of 100lbs together! My DP is now @ 7dpiui, down 45lbs, and hopeful. To say they least we both happier, healthier, and in the TWW.
    Jan 2013- BFN
    Feb 2013-BFN
    --switched carrier--
    May 2014-BFN
    July 2014-BFP @ 12dpo (IUI) -- Born: March 2015 -- Baby Girl
  • allisontballisontb Posts: 144
    edited November -1
    You never know what your problem is... I lost 105 pounds and started TTC at my lowest, only to find out I had a borderline malignant ovarian tumor interfering with a bunch of "stuff" despite fairly regular ovulation. Losing the weight wouldn't have helped in that situation. I will say, though, that you feel so much better when you're in good health. It doesn't matter what you look like or what people say about you. I felt awesome. Also, it helps instill healthy habits in that little baby once you get him or her. :)
    TTC #1: 07/2012--BFN, TTC #2: 09/2012--BFN, TTC #3: 11/2012--BFN, TTC #4: 12/2012--BFN, TTC #5: 08/2014--BFN, TTC #6: 09/2014--BFN
  • sgibson0082sgibson0082 Posts: 202
    edited November -1
    The doctor I went to see recommended that I loose weight before attempting to conceive, I know that I'm overweight but there are women who are over weight that still get pregnant. I did however take his advice and this week I started this green smoothie diet that's really not that bad . If you want more info about it, it's called " 10-day green smoothie cleanse" by JJ Smith. Also an interesting fact, romaine lettuce is a good source of folic acid.
    TTC #1= October - ICI-BFN
    #2= February 2014- IUI 4 hours- BFN
    #3= IUI- 10 hours 2nd IUI- 33 hours
    #4= June 2014- 2 vials - BFN
    image.jpg
  • coryandamandacoryandamanda Posts: 1,527
    edited November -1
    I am not overweight but my wife and I are very big into health and nutrition and both work in the medical field. It is definitely possible to conceive while overweight and have a healthy pregnancy. People do it all the time, both on purpose and by accident :) Do I think you have a better shot at conception and a healthy pregnancy at a healthy weight? Yes. More importantly, I think that people should think post baby. If you have taken the time to get yourself healthier, learn better diet and exercise habits and make a lifestyle change permanently so that you can pass this on to your child....I think that is one of the greatest gifts you can give both yourself and them :)
    My wife and I offer to help people as best we can from both near and far so if we can help in any way, let us know.
    July 4, 2015
    image_2.jpgu
    edited November -1
    Thanks everyone! Coryandamanda, passing down healthy eating habits and behaviors is very important to me. I grew up overweight and have always said that I do not want that for my child. I always joke that in my head I'm the healthiest person I know, but in practice sometimes it is another story.
    27zc85c.jpg

IUI #8 04/15- BFN
  • Kiseh_6Kiseh_6 Posts: 1
    edited November -1
    This is quite a nice post! I am so grateful to you for sharing this information. My sister is expecting and has started taking homemade Green energy drinks instead of packed ones which contain caffeine. I think everyone should take get essential nutrients and vitamins but not through chemicals.
  • F2M n SpouseF2M n Spouse Posts: 1,021 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    A couple months back there was a study that was done and it was on the nees. A clinic I believe worked with women who were considered obese and healthy women. The study concluded that being overweight made no difference in the chance of conceiving. I was sort of shocked.

I do have mixed feelings on whether or not losing weight will help me. I just found out I have high testosterone and so it says stay away from carbs and sugars. So i stay away from carbs 80% of the time and limit my fruit intake and drink more water. For 30 minutes couple times a week I would walk laps around work and in 2.5 weeks I lost 10 pounds.

Went to the doctor and they put me on metformin which helps aid in your insulin breaking down fat or what not so it's supposed to help you lose weight.

We work so much and by the time we get out of work I have ZERO motivation to go workout! So that's why I started walking at work.

Take baby steps if need be. Maybe rather than a granola bar throw in a bowl of fruit salad or a salad.
    rs4mis.jpg
    28i0tph.jpg