Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

TTC Month #2- only 1 vial advice please!

cheyangel19cheyangel19 Posts: 44
edited November -1 in Trying to Conceive
Well, this will be my second month TTC, but this month I will only be able to purchase one vial. Last month I got 3 and did 3 at home IUI insemination's, but I misread the OPK and am pretty sure I missed my ovulation date completely.

My question here is; if I am only able to get 1 vial, should I try ICI this time so the sperm live longer?

Last month I did the first insemination when I got my first positive OPK (not a very dark line.) Last month was more of a learning experience than anything. I didn't realize that you were supposed to wait for a darker line & inseminate 12-24 hours after that.

Also, if I use an ICI sample, how long after my first (real) positive OPK should I inseminate?

Any advice would be helpful!

Thanks,
Tara
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    EMG_RELEMG_REL Posts: 2,379
    edited November -1
    About how many hours after +OPK do you believe that you ovulate, based on temping or other symptoms? This is different for everyone. For example, my wife ovulates within 24 hours after +OPK, but I'm closer to 48 hours. Good luck!
    wqr43o.jpg
    IRcim4.png
    iaXMm4.png
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have no clue! That was my first try & I didn't temp. I am looking to try that this time. How do you actually tell if you have ovulated? I usually get EWCM around day 10 of my cycle & have it for 3-4 days. I have read that most women with 28 day cycles usually ovulate around day 14.

The first dark positive this time was on 10/15 (1 day after my last insemination) and when I did the OPK again on the 16th it was just a little bit lighter than the day before. So I am only guessing it happened on the 15th (that would have been cycle day 14 for me.)

I don't know how to tell when I am about to ovulate or when I have. I usually do get the cramps (middle pains,) but how long after that does actual ovulation take place?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    If I use ICI this time (at home) at what point should I do the insemination? (Remember, I only have 1 vial this time.) If I narrow ovulation down to the 11th, should I inseminate like around midnight on the 10th? Or should I maybe do earlier on the 10th to allow them more time to reach the fallopian tubes? Should I just inseminate on the actual 11th?

In perspective, I really want them to get there before the egg is released, right? But how long does it take them to pass through the cervix and reach the tube? (Hours? A day?)

I am pretty sure that I read frozen ICI sperm live between 24-48 hrs once inseminated. (Does that sound right?) So I am thinking maybe if I do the insemination around midnight on the 10th (morning of the 11th) that might give the little guys their best shot (once I have for sure pinpointed the 11th as my ovulation date.)
  • Options
    MNmommasMNmommas Posts: 1,081
    edited November -1
    Your best bet would probably be to get the smiley OPKs (NOT flashing smileys) to eliminate any confusion on when you're surging. Then insem maybe at 30 hours? (some live by 24 hrs, some by 36 hrs, so split the difference).
    Donor 7070, births 2012 & 2013
  • Options
    palegreenpalegreen Posts: 1,478
    edited November -1
    I agree with the others to use the digital smiley. Smiley OPK = Clear Blue Easy Digital Ovulation kit: http://www.amazon.com/Clearblue-Digital-Ovulation-Test-Count/dp/B002VLYAOI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1414688116&sr=8-1&keywords=clearblue+easy+ovulation+test

Test with these 3-4 times throughout the day (or more!). When the test reads positive (you'll see a smiley face rather than an empty circle), that indicates impending ovulation. For some women that's with a few hours, and others 24, or even more. Temping over the course of a few months will tell you when you ovulate in relation to your positive OPK. For me, I get my positive first thing in the morning and then my temperature dips the following day. So an insemation of 20 hours worked out perfectly for me. My partner, on the other hand has a temp dip the same day as her positive (followed by a fallback rise, which really threw us for a loop), and inseming at 13 hours past postive OPK and another at 35.5 hours past (because we hadn't quite figured out the fallback rise thing) worked for her.
    sig2017_zpsneeoat7k.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you all so much. You never really realize how tricky getting pregnant can actually be until you TRY!
  • Options
    kristine403kristine403 Posts: 75
    edited November -1
    Hi there, I know it's been hard with the journey of getting pregnant. Let me share here with you a site I've been using to track my ovulation period and it has helped me know when my safe days are and not safe days. I hope this site could also help you, good luck. http://www.ovulation-predictor.org/