Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.

Can someone please explain temping to me?

cheyangel19cheyangel19 Posts: 44
edited November -1 in Trying to Conceive
As cycle #2 TTC begins, I find myself reflecting on all of the mistakes I made the first time around. Let's just say there were quite a few & this has been a real learning experience for me. I am about to try for the second cycle (around Nov 11th) and was considering trying temping this cycle to see if that can help me narrow down my actual ovulation date a little more. Last cycle I used OPKs, but I didn't realize I was supposed to wait for a darker line for it to actually be a positive result and I inseminated too early.

This cycle I will only be able to get one vial. Last cycle I used 3 IUI vials, but I am pretty sure I want to try ICI this time.

I ordered a basal thermometer online today & it comes with a chart, but I honestly do not have any clue how temping works. I know you are supposed to take your temp first thing when you wake up, before you speak or even sit up. But that is about all I know.

I read somewhere that even with temping you will not actually know your ovulation date until after it has happened. Does your temperature change at all right before 'O'?

I normally have 28 day cycles & I have read that most women with a 28 day cycle ovulate around the 14th day. (Unfortunately, I did not realize this until AFTER my inseminations last month!) This is right around when I got the true positive on my OPK last cycle. For this cycle that would be November 11th. Can I use temping to figure this out for sure? Or just to see afterward if I actually ovulated?

If I use ICI this time (at home) at what point should I do the insemination? (Remember, I only have 1 vial this time.) If I narrow ovulation down to the 11th, should I inseminate like around midnight on the 10th? Or should I maybe do earlier on the 10th to allow them more time to reach the fallopian tubes? Should I just inseminate on the actual 11th?

In perspective, I really want them to get there before the egg is released, right? But how long does it take them to pass through the cervix and reach the tube? (Hours? A day?)

I am pretty sure that I read frozen ICI sperm live between 24-48 hrs once inseminated. (Does that sound right?) So I am thinking maybe if I do the insemination around midnight on the 10th (morning of the 11th) that might give the little guys their best shot (once I have for sure pinpointed the 11th as my ovulation date.)

Sorry to ramble on and on....I just really want to get it right this time!

Thanks for all of the help!

Tara
Tagged:

Comments

• MNmommasMNmommas Posts: 1,081
    edited November -1
    I commented on your other post, but just wanted to add: you won't really know if you "got it right" unless you get pregnant. Because you can absolutely 100% get it right with the timing of your insem, but still wind up not being pregnant because the egg's chromosomes weren't perfect or the sperm's chromosomes weren't perfect or your uterine lining wasn't perfect or your hormone levels aren't correct or the implantation didn't go smoothly or ... (you get my point). So just because you don't get pregnant on any given cycle, don't automatically rule that timing out for future cycles. Best wishes! TTC is a wicked rollercoaster ride. I hope you get your BFP soon! :)
    Donor 7070, births 2012 & 2013
  • EMG_RELEMG_REL Posts: 2,379
    edited November -1
    Most of us chart our cycles for several months before we TTC to try to pinpoint ovulation. Temping for one month doesn't tell you much; it's about the pattern you will likely see after temping for multiple months.

Forgive me if I'm being too forward, but I'm curious why you spent money on three vials for a first attempt after not appearing to have done much research about the process. It sounds to me like you need to spend a few months tracking your cycle and learning the basics before you purchase any more (very expensive) vials. Good luck again.
    wqr43o.jpg
    IRcim4.png
    iaXMm4.png
  • MNmommasMNmommas Posts: 1,081
    edited November -1
    ^^^ Agreed. Unless you're under some specific time constraint (ie advanced maternal age), have you considered tabling inseminations for 3-6 months while tracking your body's signs to see what your specific pattern seems to be? It doesn't really matter what specific timing happened to work for someone else, what matters is your body's timing. That would also give you the chance to save up for vials and learn as much as you can in general about TTC.
    Donor 7070, births 2012 & 2013
  • cheyangel19cheyangel19 Posts: 44
    edited November -1
    Ok, well, I guess I will just have to make my best educated guess this month (but begin temping) and just continue with temping for a while. Finger crossed this will be my month and I wont need the info, but realistically it could take many tries to get mt BFP.

I do have one more question, though. Does anyone use the ibasal thermometer? I am reading a lot of reviews that say it is amazing, but can be hard to set up and figure out. Is it worth the $60? Or would I be alright just purchasing a cheaper one at walmart and charting on my own? How difficult is it to chart all of this on your own? $60 just sounds like a good chunk of change if a cheaper alternative will do the trick. BUT, if it actually helps me get pregnant, its moves into the good investment category. ;) I just didn't know with me being a temping amateur if something more advanced like this would help me keep it all straightened out.
  • PatienceisavirtuePatienceisavirtue Posts: 777
    edited November -1
    No info on the ibasal thermometer.

I used a Target body basal thermometer. It was around $10 and worked just fine. I did have to buy another one after about 7 months because the battery was running low.

The book, "Taking Charge of your Fertility," provides information about temping and provides examples. It also discusses other fertility signs. It might be a good resource for you.
    TTC #1: 1-5 BFN; 6- BFP
    TTC #2: since June 2016...
  • kristine403kristine403 Posts: 75
    edited November -1
    Hi there, let me share here with you ladies a site I've been using to track my ovulation period and it has helped me on my TTC. I hope this site could help others too, good luck. http://www.ovulation-predictor.org/