Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.

What to pay teenagers for moving help

roses25roses25 Posts: 567
edited November -1 in Parenting and Life
Hi Everyone,

I'm going to ask a couple of my high school students plus one adult to help move our stuff to our new house...Plus I'll help. I'll have a uhaul and they won't have to provide any supplies. I'm guessing it won't take more than an hour or two as I'm only needing them to move my big stuff: a few refrigerators, freezer, bunk bed, washer, dryer, a mattress/box springs, and living room furniture. How much would you suggest paying each per hour? If it helps I could hire two hours of professional moving service (including two men) for $130 total. I've almost thought about going that route. However, I'm obviously wanting to hire high school students to save money, and I know they always enjoy having some extra money.

Carolyn
EBD822A6-1848-4872-A55B-C1ED22646371_zpsufz2fxda.jpeg
schm94df60emqyke.png
lazxi8i3cso8qa7m.png
lfngmjscscvr4zbw.png

Comments

• ZenZen Posts: 2,942
    edited November -1
    I was thinking a flat rate of $50 each. You might be able to pay less but moving appliances is heavy work!
    AfUDuhU.jpgAfUDm4.png
  • old mamaold mama Posts: 4,682
    edited April 2015
    My son and his friend just got $10/hr each to help move...If it is going to take a while I would offer beverages and snacks or lunch.
  • MNmommasMNmommas Posts: 1,081
    edited November -1
    You'd be better off hiring professional movers. Professional movers have insurance, so if they happen to damage any of your appliances or furniture during the move, it's covered. Not only that, but they will have the right "tools" (straps, dollies, etc) and know-how to help safely move the heavy stuff without scratching floors, banging up doorways, & injuring themselves. If it were just regular boxes of stuff, I'd say go with the high schoolers, but large appliances & large furniture warrant the professionals - otherwise you might end up paying a lot more in the long run.
    Donor 7070, births 2012 & 2013
  • TheOtherLovingMomsTheOtherLovingMoms Posts: 1,481 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hire the professional movers.
    IGXwm4.png
    I just turned 50 and fabulous!!! Enjoying life with my amazing family!!
    Mom to Rachel 33, Bethany 30, Rebekah 30, Zachrey 20 and several angel babies
    Grandma to Larissa 11, Brittney 11, Trevor 11, Destiny 7, Jayvin 6, Jackxon 3, Kaleb Joshua Rian 1. Grandbaby #8, Sariah Grace born 11-17-16
  • ShannyShanny Posts: 2,456
    edited November -1
    Movers insurance is actually a joke if something does get damaged or broken. But I still agree to hire the pros for this. You won't save enough to make it worth it, it will take them at least twice as long and you will have no guarantees they show up and finish the job.
    image_zps64579b54.png
  • melmel Posts: 793
    edited November -1
    Those are really, really heavy things. I would hire professionals. For the amount you should pay to make it worth it for that work, you won't save much by hiring high school kids. I would also worry with so many heavy things that someone could get injured. It doesn't take much and then you'd have a much bigger problem than an extra $30 or so.

I'm moving this month and I only WISH I could find movers for $130/2 hours. They are more like $135 per hour here!
    Jjr6m5.png
  • GerogeKellyGerogeKelly Posts: 1

Yes, don't think about money in such cases because your main purpose at that moment is to shift everything safely which can't be done without using moving boxes and hiring professional moving experts.

• Good amount of thoughts and advice.

• Good amount of thoughts and advice.