Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.

At home IUI?

KPJKPJ Posts: 14
edited November -1 in Trying to Conceive
Hi everyone,

My wife and I did at home ICI last cycle and are considering switching to IUI at home this cycle (we have IUI vials). Have any of you done this? I don't want to damage my uterus or anything but I think it could be a little more effective. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• FutureSMBCFutureSMBC Posts: 1,018
    edited November -1
    A few people here have done it, myself included.
    My sister is an MD so I had total confidence in her but she said she didn't find any resistance like I had heard other people here find.
    You just need to make sure you don't go too high, we went in 4 to 4.5cm
    It was uncomfortable for a second but not painful and I spotted a little afterwards.
    tt1d429d
    TTC since March 2015: 5 ICIs & 5 IUIs -all BFN
    July 2016- IVF w/BC/Lupron/Gonal-f/Ovidrel - converted to IUI- BFN
    Sept 2016-IVF w/BC/Lupron/Gonal-f/Ovidrel- Two 3d ET- BFP @ 9dp3dt, Beta#1: 209 @ 12dp3dt, #2: 782 @ 15dp3dt - EDD 6/3/17 - It's a Boy!
  • hoping4number2hoping4number2 Posts: 321
    edited November -1
    The only downside to at-home IUI is that you have a much shorter time period of live sperm. That being said, if you already have IUI vials and were doing ICI with the IUI vials, then I definitely think an actual IUI would be best. As long as you read and research what you are doing, and go very very slowly, you should be fine. I performed 3 at-home IUIs on my wife with no problems. Good luck! We always did an IUI and then also an ICI vial in the same cycle. Just to cover a bigger window of time!
    16bdg7b.jpg
    Baby #1: April 2011 TTC #2 since 2014 Attempt #10 = BFP! Baby arrived January 2016
  • 2texasmoms2texasmoms Posts: 299 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can do an ICI with IUI vials, it's easier in my opinion...that's what we did when our donor only had IUI available.
  • KPJKPJ Posts: 14
    edited November -1
    Thanks! We have iui bc he ran out of ici. We do have one ici left. Can I ask one more thing? When you did an ici and iui in the same cycle what did you do for your timing? I wasn't sure if I should do ici first bc sperm is more stable? I really appreciate your advice!
    Thanks again!
    Kati
    The only downside to at-home IUI is that you have a much shorter time period of live sperm. That being said, if you already have IUI vials and were doing ICI with the IUI vials, then I definitely think an actual IUI would be best. As long as you read and research what you are doing, and go very very slowly, you should be fine. I performed 3 at-home IUIs on my wife with no problems. Good luck! We always did an IUI and then also an ICI vial in the same cycle. Just to cover a bigger window of time!
  • tinydancertinydancer Posts: 1,210
    edited November -1
    I would do the ICI then IUI. you cover more time because the ICI lives longest and if you catch it right away great. if not, it sites in there a bit then you do the iui AT THE END and hopefully still long enough time to get to egg.

I would time them about 8-12hrs apart.
  • hoping4number2hoping4number2 Posts: 321
    edited November -1
    ^ That :) However, we timed them between 12 and 18 hours apart. Totally depends on your body.
    16bdg7b.jpg
    Baby #1: April 2011 TTC #2 since 2014 Attempt #10 = BFP! Baby arrived January 2016
  • KPJKPJ Posts: 14
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the advice! :)
    ^ That :) However, we timed them between 12 and 18 hours apart. Totally depends on your body.