Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.

Pumping/pump questions

F2M n SpouseF2M n Spouse Posts: 1,021 ✭✭
edited November -1 in Parenting and Life
1) I've noticed condensation getting into the tubes and not sure if that's normal? From what I can tell all the pieces are dry when I attach the tubes so I've been having to let the pump continue running to dry the tubes out after using them. We just bought me some new tubes and still having the issue with condensation and I know that can lead to bacterial issues. Any suggestions on what I can do because I'm assuming nothing should be getting into the tubes.

2) Why is there so much emphasis on solely breastfeeding rather than exclusively pumping? Aren't the benefits relatively the same? I mean it's still breastmilk. The maternity part of our insurance and the midwife sort of made me feel "bad" and like it's a no no to exclusively pump. I switched solely to pumping since we kept going through cluster feedings for 2 weeks and I was DEAD and couldn't take it anymore. She was getting super frustrated when I'd have her latch so I would pump what I could get and she seemed much happier so I just naturally switched to pumping and bottle feeding because she seemed much happier and so did I but now it's making me second guess it.
rs4mis.jpg
28i0tph.jpg

Comments

• New-mama?New-mama? Posts: 593
    edited November -1
    The condensation is probably due to difference in room temperature vs temperature of freshly expressed breast milk.

Only reason I know for strong focus on breastfeeding vs pumping is basicaly supply and demand. When babies breastfeed they use suction and compression so they are much more efficient at expressing breast milk. The pump only uses suction. So idea is it is harder to obtain and keep a strong supply of breast milk if exclusively pumping.

I know of a few people though who have successfully exclusively pumped and fed expressed breast milk.

Important thing is to have a happy healthy baby.
    TTC attempt 1: ICI Dec 2015 BFN/Attempt 2-3 IUI Jan&April 2016 BFN/Attempt 4: 1ICI 1 IUI May 2016 BFN/Attempt 5-7: ICI-June, Sept, Nov 2016 BFN/Attempt 8-9 iui April 2017 BFN.
    May 2017 IUI BFP!!!!
    pregnant-1494046800z5z1495083600z1.png
    tt1d86de
  • b&kmakebabiesb&kmakebabies Posts: 818
    edited November -1
    Condensation happens to me too. I asked a mom at my work about it (she has four kids and breastfed each for a year). She said she just ignored it basically. With her first she freaked out, but then had no time to freak out with the second, third, and fourth. I decided to ignore it too, and my son is fine. I don't know if that's the best advice, but it worked for me lol.

I also exclusively pumped for awhile and then cluster feedings and poor latch corrected itself. I think more emphasis is on the actual breast because a mother would be more likely to continue breast feeding over pumping because pumping just doesn't have the same output.
    Cnc9m5.png

TTC from 06/2015...Baby M born 11/24/16!
  • b&kmakebabiesb&kmakebabies Posts: 818
    edited November -1
    I just tend to follow this train of thought when making parenting decisions:
    1. Do I have an instinct? Is it strong? If so, follow it and don't listen to anyone else.
    2. Am I not sure? Ask a mom who has been there RECENTLY. Because a lot of moms who haven't had an infant in awhile forget the infant phase and their advice is really vague. I just try to treat every instance as if this is my second child. It always calms me down. Like oh crap he's licking a shoe! Would I care if I had a toddler or two running around spreading poop on a wall? No? Ok.

Don't let them make you feel bad about pumping. You do you.
    Cnc9m5.png

TTC from 06/2015...Baby M born 11/24/16!