Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.

Learning to read

K&HK&H Posts: 3,368 ✭✭
edited November -1 in Parenting and Life
E is 6 and not reading. I'm completely not worried about it. Her teacher is not worried about it. She, however, is completely distraught. She wants to be reading so badly.

What can I do to teach her? She's in half day K, 2.5hrs/day and her teacher is totally about math and science, which I love and absolutely appreciate. She is of the mindset that reading will come when it comes and she adds reading "lessons" to everything else, but the focus is certainly on everything else and not reading. I'm great with this, I think in the long run this approach will be much better for E. But for now? She's motivated and wants to get it.. how do I help her over the hump?
GOzIm4.png
hAO7m4.png
CmQMm4.png

Comments

• ShannyShanny Posts: 2,456
    edited November -1
    What have you done to this point or where is she at in terms of writing, letter recognition, and most importantly letter sound recognition?
    image_zps64579b54.png
  • K&HK&H Posts: 3,368 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    She does really well with letter sound recognition, it's combining the sounds that she doesn't get, I think. She doesn't remember sight words, doesn't sound out words.
    I haven't really done anything with her aside from reading to her like a maniac. We've always read and read and read. And it seemed like about six months ago she was remembering and recognizing things, combining sounds. We were reading books where the grown up reads the left page and the kiddo reads the right page, very repetitive but she liked them. I think she was just memorizing them tho, not really learning (although I know that's important).

I see other kids her age and grade who are remembering sight words, writing them etc. and she's just not. (Most of my clients are 5 and 6 and in K, so I have a fair variety to compare to). She wants to write in her "journal" all the time, but where in June it was beginning to look like words now it is back to swoops and squiggles with no letters.
    GOzIm4.png
    hAO7m4.png
    CmQMm4.png
  • ahk00ahk00 Posts: 1,420
    edited October 2016
    I know every child is different but I will say this: Isaiah is 11 (almost 12) he has struggled with reading for a long time. Today he struggles with the comprehension part. His reading struggles have made the rest of his learning suffer. If he cannot comprehend what he is reading he will never pass other subjects as they require reading, recall & retell. Prior to the comprehension issue & back to the sounding out and putting words together: this also made the rest of his schooling suffer. He has been going to ST since he was 1. He also goes to a tutor & stays after school 2 days a week to learn different strategies.

Having said all of that, maybe look into having her evaluated by ST. Especially since she seems to have regressed some from what I am understanding in your post. Over the years they have taught Isaiah many things to help him read (sounding out letters, words, meanings, comprehension etc).

I am sorry that she s having a hard time. I know it is not easy to watch nor is it always easy to find the answer. .Many hugs.
    SMBC: TTC since 12/2014: 3 home attempts: 2 BFN & 1 chemical. 3 medicated Dr assisted IUI's: 2 BFN & 1 BFP (04/24/15) with twins in May (new donor) MC with D&C @ 9w. 4th IUI 09/17/15: BFN. 10/15: hsg good. 11/15: BFN. 01/16: BFN. 05/16: Embryos arrested. IVF failed 06/16: KD BFN 07/16: KD BFN 09/16: IUI #7 with donor sperm BFP-MC at 9w w/ D&C. 02/17: diagnosed with hetero compound MTHFR & clotting mutation. 03/09/17 IUI #8: chemical pregnancy. IUI #9: 04/19/17 BFN LOOKING FOR EMBRYO'S TO ADOPT
  • ShannyShanny Posts: 2,456
    edited November -1
    I agree that it could be totally within the realm of "normal" or a red flag, especially the regression. Though also as noted it could be life getting in the way as life tends to do! I have seen both - K started reading at 4, never super reader but def on the early side. At almost 8, she is definitely not at the level of many of her peers (I'd say she is average at best). She had a bit of a bad experience with reading in first grade (other girls picking on her because she wasn't reading chapter books, so she started fake reading chapter books). We are homeschooling now and she has made a lot of progress in the last couple of months but she just doesn't LOVE it like I wish she did so I am trying to back off and let her discover that on her own. We have had lots of times in between where she is more interested than others and times where I knew I needed to nudge her a little more than others.

A was having trouble from the start and I could see it. Her parents took the words of the teachers at school over mine and didn't investigate. She wasn't retaining sight words which was a big focus at both school and home and she didn't retain what she was read or read to herself among other things. She was finally evaluated and was diagnosed with being "at risk" for dyslexia. She had tracking issues and has special glasses now. She works with a tutor 2-3 days a week now to be able to keep up. I know that we would all like to let our kids learn at their own pace, and that is great if you unschool or homeschool and she has that option. But if she will be in the mainstream school system then by 3rd grade she is reading to learn versus learning to read and if she doesn't have a good grasp on reading at that point that is where the difficulties in other subjects comes in to play.

And yes, also a belated congrats on your growing family!!
    image_zps64579b54.png
  • momsquaredmomsquared Posts: 59
    edited November -1
    If you want a program that you can do at home I recommend Barton Reading and Spelling. It is a multisensory approach. It was created for dyslexics but can be used for anyone! I tutor my dyslexic child with it after school and she is making great progress. I have also used it with my son a bit as he is showing interest here and there in learning to read. He is gifted but doesn't like to sit still lol
    Plus side is IF she does end up getting diagnosed with a learning disorder you will be ahead of the game by having started remediation now! If not then you can just do the program until she catches on and no longer needs it.
    December 2016 Ages 9,7,5 & 3
    IMG_4148.jpg
  • emlklg444emlklg444 Posts: 645
    edited November 2016
    Haven't been on for a while. CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!! I'm really no help with the reading stuff...our oldest is 3 and I've naively just assumed reading just "happens" once a kid gets through kindergarten. Yup... I'm clueless. So I'm following your posts and pray things begin to improve for your little girl in the reading department.
    1st daughter born 9/26/2013 (bfp 2nd attempt at home ICI)
    2nd daughter born 3/8/2016 (bfp after 7 attempts at home ICI, 2 miscarriages, 1 D&C)
    age 36 evtim8.png
    age 39 K8qxm7.png
  • blkbrd3blkbrd3 Posts: 1,221 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    In addition to all these great suggestions, I encourage you to buy or check out books that replace some of the written words with pictures. You can read the written words and she can read the pictures. It may relieve some of her frustration while reinforcing the pairing of an image and word with a concept or item. They're also fun.
  • jhfrp5@yahoo.comjhfrp5@yahoo.com Posts: 32
    edited May 2018
    Hi! My mother home schooled my brother and me and had my bro reading by 3 1/2 and me by 4. She worked on letters with us first. Then after we had those and their sounds down she would find an entry level book (think Dick and Jane) and would make flash cards of every word in the book. She worked on the cards with us every day and made it fun for us. When we mastered that book, we moved to another....
  • wowspremiumwowspremium Posts: 1

Hi Guys! .

You are all reight this is the issue of every home. and I also suffered in it. I 'm also learn English Subject to some Child but they have no proper focused and Consintration. I do many efforts but their performence is zero.