Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.

IUI at home?

2HopefulMommies2HopefulMommies Posts: 172
edited November -1 in At-Home Insemination
Has anyone had success doing an IUI at home? This will likely be our last cycle TTC at home before starting IVF with my wife. We’ve done IUIs with a midwife, but I’m really interested in doing them at home this cycle. I just ordered the specula and catheters. But I’m looking for some stories, advice, etc to guide us along a little more.

Comments

• 2HopefulMommies2HopefulMommies Posts: 172
    edited November -1
    We did the at home on Thursday on me before our follow up with the fertility clinic for my wife. Only got the catheter in about an inch. But overall, it felt good. Much less painful than the last IUI with our midwife. We also decided since my wife was due to ovulate this week too that while we wait to start IVF next cycle, we would try an IUI at home since we already had the tank and vial here. (I had planned to do 2, but after making this decision I only did one at about 29 hours) This morning, we did her insemination at 30 hours. And it seemed like we may have gotten all the way in.. catheter about 2 inches in. Also way less painful than previous IUIs for her. Her cervix is generally pretty sideways but I pulled the speculum out a little and it straightened right up into the center. I hate that she went through so many uncomfortable IUIs if that’s all it took to make it easier on her. So now we wait.. 2WW times 2!!
  • mestradamestrada Posts: 24
    edited November -1
    Hi! I believe I saw on a previous post that you were using donor 4677. Have you used donor 4677?
    edited November -1
    We did use 4677 for our first few at home attempts. We are currently using 241R though.
  • mestradamestrada Posts: 24
    edited November -1
    @2hopefulmommies if you don’t mind me asking, how many times did y’all try with 4677 and how was his count? My wife and I are considering using 4677, however I haven’t read/seen many success stories on here. So we’re also considering 241R. Best of luck and baby dust!!
    edited November -1
    We don’t know about the count since we did at home inseminations with 4677. And at home and with a midwife so far with 241R. I believe we did 3 months (2 each month) with 4677.
    Just did our last at home attempt before moving onto IVF next month.
    Baby dust to you too!!
  • reednakitareednakita Posts: 104
    edited November -1
    @2HopefulMommies hey hun! I'm back lol. I used fresh shipped/chilled sperm last month. Negative pregnancy test. So I will be trying again next month. How's it going with you and your Wife?
    edited November -1
    We just got everything scheduled to start IVF. As soon as the clinic receives our sperm, they will order our meds and we can get going.

Are you trying again this month?
    edited November -1
    @2HopefulMommies I'm trying next month. 5 vials of fresh shipped sperm this time. Last time I did 2. Our donor just has us pay for shipping which was 100 bucks for overnight. Now he's doing 5 vials at a time for 250 all together for the kit and sperm.
    edited November -1
    6th cycle. I've been trying since June of last year. Only did 2 IUIs last year. This year 2 IUIs and 2 tries at home. 1 with frozen one with fresh at home. I've been checked out so I guess it has just been timing and not being able to try every month. But now with this donor being cheaper we can try more often. Doing just twice a year with frozen will take years lol @2HopefulMommies. And I'm 38 so I just need for this to happen and be over with.
  • alwyzjazzephaealwyzjazzephae Posts: 2
    edited November -1
    @reednakita im curious about where you found your donor!
    edited November -1
    We found our donor on KDR website. Known Donor Registry.
  • RcomanRcoman Posts: 6
    edited November -1
    For home IUI, where are you purchasing the IUI catheters? Thanks!
    Rebecca and Courtney
    taking Ovasitol (for PCOS) and Prenatals

TTC #1 with Clomid 50 mg CD 3-7 and at home IUI with 2 vials, planned for mid-December, 2018
    edited November -1
  • MNmommasMNmommas Posts: 1,081
    edited November -1
    Both of our kids (5 & 6 yrs, one carried by each of us) are from at-home DIY IUIs. I used to have a bunch of info to share on what we did, but it's a distant memory by this point and I think the website tutorial we used to help us might no longer be up. Unfortunately for us, when we're ready for more kids (with same donor), we'll need to do R-IVF because we only have a couple of vials left & same donor is important for us.
    Donor 7070, births 2012 & 2013
  • ajswartwoodajswartwood Posts: 9

When you guys did IUI at-home, how much sample came in each vial? Did you have to add anything to the syringe? I am worried that, because of the small amount, some will be lost in the syringe.