Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

How far down your list did you have to go?

lippysauntlippysaunt Posts: 545
edited November -1 in Trying to Conceive
I am making a list of 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc choice for my donor in case the first 2-3 are sold out. Has anyone not gotten one of their top 3 picks? (Without paying $350?) I'm getting ready to play my first order in about a week and am not sure about how all of this works. How does the ordering process go? Do you just call and say I'd like X number of viles of donor X and if it's in stock you give them your card number and tell them the date you need it? Is two weeks ahead a pretty good amount of time?

Comments

• Options
    2moms2moms Posts: 731 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    When we were looking for a donor we would call and ask them how many vials they had of each donor in each format (iui vs ici). So thats what i would suggest you to do and tell them you only want to know the donors that dont cost $350 per vial...then make your choice from there. When you call to order you tell them how many vials you want, what format (ici vs iui), where you want them shipped to, what day you want them, if you need any other supplies (insem kits) and then you pay with your CC.
    Pzl2m5.png
    LNiUm5.png
  • Options
    LokiLoki Posts: 316
    edited November -1
    The first time I ordered I think I had to go with my 4th or 5th choice. 1 was sold out, one was $350. One only had 1 vial available- I only wanted ICI format at that time though, so I don't know if they had IUI available. I remember scrambling trying to decide which donor to use.

Yes, that's pretty much how the ordering process goes. They'll also ask you if you want ICI (unwashed) or IUI (washed). If you are having them held at a Fed Ex facility it's helpful to have the address of the Fed Ex facility you want the delivery held at handy. Yes, 2 weeks ahead of time is good. I call the day I get my period and have it delivered about 12 days later.
  • Options
    RW17RW17 Posts: 197
    edited November -1
    First choice but we looked at the line about whether they were in short supply and only selected one who wasn't because we wanted to reserve 9 ICI vials (for 3 tries).

If I'm not pregnant we're switchign again and we'll probably do the same thing.
  • Options
    EMG_RELEMG_REL Posts: 2,379
    edited November -1
    Our top three were all unavailable, for one reason or another. The donor that we ended up choosing was relatively new, so I hadn't noticed him since I had chosen my own top three in the months before. The kind people at NW then suggested our donor, based on the criteria that we were looking for, and we are so happy with our choice!

In terms of ordering, we also called on the first day of my DP's period and arranged for delivery a few days before she was supposed to ovulate.
    wqr43o.jpg
    IRcim4.png
    iaXMm4.png
  • Options
    Bailey131Bailey131 Posts: 25
    edited November -1
    We got our 1st choice and we wanted 18 vials!
    c48368ad-94c7-4afa-a8a4-41a329848923_6-1-2.jpg
  • Options
    cAtWmN84cAtWmN84 Posts: 462
    edited November -1
    i got 1st pic.but there was only 3 IUI vials left.i bought 2 and got pregnant 1st try.always intended on buying more but he wasn't available anymore.didn't come available until i was pregnant again.so 2 years later.i had already moved on to another donor
    yqOs9SZ.jpgyqOsm5.png
    Qkvimpd.jpgQkvim4.png
    dxnZweE.jpgdxnZm5.png
  • Options
    babymakes3babymakes3 Posts: 433 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    we got our 3rd choice which was fine we got our baby boy from it.
    connonandray.jpg
  • Options
    nervouswrecknervouswreck Posts: 379
    edited November -1
    One time I choose 7 prospective donors..... all were sold out except the last one. IDK what I would have done if they were all sold out.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    How many vials do people usually use? I have another friend who is an SMC and I asked her and she said her RE said there isn't much benefit to more than one and I'm just wondering if other people have found that to be true as well?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I use 2 or 3 vials for ICI's. I've heard it both ways for IUI's-- some say it doesn't matter if you use 1 or 2. But I think 2 or 3 allows you a longer window. Also it gives more sperm. So I don't see how it wouldn't matter...
  • Options
    KariKari Posts: 1,765
    edited November -1
    I had a top 8 list, and none were available my second month TTC. In 24 hours I had to pick a completely unfamiliar donor! But look at what a cute (and smart) baby he and I made! :)

I used a different bank, so my experience with donors may not be the same as NW's.
    100_4667_zpspk4wwxj5.jpg
    r9vOm4.png
    Ri4Gm4.png
  • Options
    annerbonesannerbones Posts: 1,812
    edited November -1
    I think you get to donor you were meant to use. Just like you get the child you were meant to have. Getting philosophical here :)
    raF7m7.png
    Progesterone therapy and baby aspirin daily

Two miscarriages in between (August 2012 - same donor as Maggie, and December 2014 with husband)
    Maggie
    PNa0m7.png
  • Options
    tc0104tc0104 Posts: 579 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Definitely agree with annerbones on this one. When I started out...all I wanted was a 514 baby b/c I loved his profile. I also wanted a baby with an eye color other than brown (that's what I have) so I just wanted to up my chances with a donor that did not have brown eyes. I went through 3 cycles of 514 and 605....before I even started looking at brown eyed donors. I found a brown eyed donor who I loved and now I have a brown eyed perfect little girl. I'm so thankful I had those failed cycles with 514 and 605...b/c I had the baby that I was meant to have!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Faffytown wrote:
    We had our top 5 list but then when we called to order, they gave us our photo match & totally threw us off. We had to go back & start over but considering only 2 of the matches were actually available, it made it easier on us.
    I sent in a picture for a photo match about 2 wks ago but haven't heard anything back yet. How did they let you know? Was it via email or USPS? How long did it take? I'm just worried because when they sent me the email letting me know they had my paperwork processed I didn't get it for some reason. (It bounced back to them.) However when I send them the occasional email they get it and I get the response.
  • Options
    FaffytownFaffytown Posts: 1
    edited November -1
    Call them. I hadn't gotten any reponse on my photo match so about a week or so later we just picked from the list. When we called to order they said they had photo matches for us.
  • Options
    mamalee2mamalee2 Posts: 48
    edited March 2011
    bailey 131 beautiful photo
  • Options
    edited November -1
    First choice, but we purposely made our first choice someone who wasn't in low supply.
  • Options
    KTZKTZ Posts: 1,240
    edited November -1
    Our first choice had only on vial left. Or second had only few as well. We got the one first choice and one second choice.
    tt1254ac.aspx
    fFvYm8.png