Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Age of donor,, does it matter?

GaBeekeeperGaBeekeeper Posts: 916
edited November -1 in Trying to Conceive
Hello!
Well, I am waiting on AF and need to order some more vials. I think I will switch donor b/c of some traits that I just don't want. The donor I got my BFP was 100% Irish and has fair skin like I do. Well, DP has med/light skin tone and I have just been thinking that my baby would just sizzle in any sunlight with my skin tone times two!!
Also, I think he is an older donor, based on years donated, etc. The other possible one is under 30 (I asked the bank).

Both donors have good counts / motility. So with that combined with my pills/shots I should be good. But do you think the age of the donor matters?
pqkom4.png
FxZxm4.pngcarousel_zps296ade6d.jpg

Comments

• Options
    tc0104tc0104 Posts: 579 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Something makes me want to say that donors have to be under 35 yrs old? Probably b/c of count and motility issues that may come with age...I mean we become less fertile with age...I would think it is the same for men. If there are good counts and motility...sounds like good sperm! :-)
  • Options
    mommylovemommylove Posts: 1,582
    edited November -1
    Age almost doesn't matter with regard to the donor.
    However, most sperm banks and I think it's the same with NW wont take any donors above age 35.
    I would focus more on reported pregnancies than age in any case.
    If it's worked for someone before, it's bound to work for you!
    Good luck!
    be422225-267e-4ff7-94c0-a8d5baf3176a_zpse0970fea.jpg
    October 2014

Dk5Zm7.png

22gfm7.png
  • Options
    GaBeekeeperGaBeekeeper Posts: 916
    edited November -1
    thanks guys.
    I do use a different bank due to my RE's office. And they do use older donors, but they have excellent motility and count. My BFP donor was older. The donor I switched to is under age 30 (I asked). And has many success.
    So, hoping November brings me my BFP!!! Now if AF would just come on!
    pqkom4.png
    FxZxm4.pngcarousel_zps296ade6d.jpg
  • Options
    GoobieGoobie Posts: 3,515
    edited November -1
    I have no idea - but my dad fathered my baby brother when he was 54, so I think it still works for guys as they get older!
    tt125c22.aspx

Need to update a ticker, Silas Anthony Jordon born Oct 11, 2013. 6th baby, so much love!
  • Options
    rharris80rharris80 Posts: 43
    edited November -1
    Age doesn't matter when it comes to men. Our known donor was 48 and his count and motility was excellent! He was able to get two other women pregnant. I think as long as his count and motility are still good, the age shouldn't really matter.

But that's just my opinion. :)
    Becky
  • Options
    Shaeley MaeShaeley Mae Posts: 1,731
    edited November -1
    The only age related research that I've seen is regarding Down's Syndrome.
    Apparently, research is revealing that the age of a man is just as tied to the risk of Down's Syndrome as the age of the woman.
    IMG_0408-rs.jpgIMG_7844-rs.jpg
  • Options
    mamalee2mamalee2 Posts: 48
    edited November -1
    yes there has been research that abnormalities such as down syndrome do not only increase with the egg but also with aging sperm