Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

any type 1 diabetics TTC?

Autumn&RyanAutumn&Ryan Posts: 157
edited November -1 in Trying to Conceive
My sister's DP is type 1 diabetic, diagnosied at 15 years old. She uses insulin every day. She and my sis are considering TTC, with donor sperm of course. Her doc is concerned about her diabetes and pregnancy. My sis has no interest in carrying and has mild MS, she is REALLY worried about her dp becoming pregnant due to the health risks. Between my sister's MS and her dp's diabetes, I think they should look into adoption but that is easy for me to say because i have had the blessing of having my own.
What do ya'll think?

Comments

• Options
    GoobieGoobie Posts: 3,515
    edited November -1
    I know diabetic women who conceive and carry normally, they just need to watch their sugars more closely during pregnancy. She should talk to her Dr first, but I see no reason why she couldn`t!
    tt125c22.aspx

Need to update a ticker, Silas Anthony Jordon born Oct 11, 2013. 6th baby, so much love!
  • Options
    mommylovemommylove Posts: 1,582
    edited November -1
    Pregnancy is SUPER hard on diabetes...no denying that. It's bad for Mommy and baby. But that doesn't mean it can't be done.

Diabetes gets worse during pregnancy, undeniably, especially in late 2nd trimester and 3rd trimester. Babies are put under extra stress so she would be considered high risk from the beginning. She will be monitored very closely and pre-term delivery is a real concern as is pre-eclampsia. Babies can be abnormally large and also can have growth restriction and be too small. Still birth rates are increased.

A very good friend of mine went through all of this and did go into pre-term labor at 31 weeks. The baby is now fine, but does have diabetes as well. That's another thing to look at...passing it on.

All of that having been said...its of course up to the individual and what they feel is right for them and their potential child.
    be422225-267e-4ff7-94c0-a8d5baf3176a_zpse0970fea.jpg
    October 2014

Dk5Zm7.png

22gfm7.png
  • Options
    Autumn&RyanAutumn&Ryan Posts: 157
    edited November -1
    ugh...yeah it is risky for sure. I don't feel qualified to give them advice but they have asked me what I think. I just don't know what to tell them so I said I would support them no matter what, which I will do. I would love to see them become parents, they would be awesome.
    I wish my sister had more of a desire to carry, but she just doesn't want to do it.
    I told her that if she doesn't want to carry, that is her right as a human being. I think her dp is pushing it. It is her body afterall and there was NO talk whatsoever of babies when they started living together.
    I just wish them the best. They will figure it out.
  • Options
    mamalee2mamalee2 Posts: 48
    edited November -1
    if her diabetes is well controled throughout her pregnancy there is no risk to either her or the baby. it is a lot of work. eating well exercising have tight control of her blood sugar. also it could become difficult to manage. and her insulin needs will change every trimester.

if she is in otherwise good health and has good control and does not have any kidney problems or blood pressure problem if she does not have any complications and they want to it is probably doable and you will love you niece or nephew