Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

caffeine

nellisonnellison Posts: 102
edited November -1 in Trying to Conceive
Does anyone know if caffeine has negative effects AFTER ovulation. (in regards to becoming pregnany--I know large amounts are not good when you are pregnant) I 100% cut out caffeine from cycle day one until a couple days ago. I couldnt take it anymore!
dads-2.jpg
Nicki (me), Kristina (wife), and Lilah
ttddb0b.aspx

Comments

• Options
    PtownMomsPtownMoms Posts: 768
    edited November -1
    You'll hear lots of views on caffeine consumption. For me personally...I cut back to one cup of coffee a day when we started ttc...and I continued to drink one cup a day during my whole pregnancy. My doctor thought it was better to drink it in moderation then to drink decaf (which often has chemicals in in to make it decaf).
    Carrie & Monica

sig_zps0be86692-1_zpse4fe5311.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well, before we started TTC I would drink 3 or 4 44oz of diet pepsi fountain pop per day. To say I have an addiction to fountain pop is an understatement.
    So, a couple days ago I though, well just one 44 oz isnt that bad.
    Now today at work, I have drank my first one and its noon. And I want to go get another.....uuuughhhh, I cant stop myself.
    dads-2.jpg
    ttddb0b.aspx
  • Options
    cocobaycocobay Posts: 1,318
    edited November -1
    I drank caffiene through out my last TWW and got pregnant. The cycles that we tried before that weren't succesfull I cut back and even cut out caffiene. I think stressing about it so much is what has the negative effect on you. I know it is so hard to relax and stay calm through this emotional roller coaster but just try your best :)
  • Options
    indigoscotindigoscot Posts: 246
    edited November -1
    i had already cut out diet coke before we ttc, except for the odd one for tension headaches. i cut back on the amount of scottish tetley tea i drank - basically one cup in the morning and one at night - but tea isn't as caffeinated as coffee or soda. i don't know if it helped me get pregnant or not, lol!! when i was pregnant i couldn't drink tea because it made me nauseous and i stayed off it until he was born - surprising since i had been drinking it from when i was 5 years old!!

dp does not drink anything caffeinated when ttc. she has mthfr A1298C hetero which can affect the body's absorption of b vitamins such as folic acid, b12 and b6. our re said as a precaution to remove caffeine from her diet. she just stopped nursing so is allowing herself the odd coffee and dr pepper for now. she used to be a starbucks regular so stopping that was very hard.

my co-worker who just had her little boy was "prescribed" a pepsi by her ob because she kept getting headaches and couldn't take her usual excedrin for them.

i just saw a study that said people who drink lots of diet soda are more at risk for stroke. that alone would make me want to stop!!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110209/ap_on_he_me/us_med_stroke_diet_soda

g
    nirim4.png
    onmFm5.png
    tMYCm5.png
  • Options
    GoobieGoobie Posts: 3,515
    edited February 2011
    I say everything in moderation! I agree that the stress of trying to quit something can have more adverse effects then the consumption in the first place, as your body is used to it. This is why my midwife told me to cut back on smoking, but not quit (I did quit for 2 months in the summer and did not ovulate those months) Now I "allow" myself about 4 smokes a day, bad bad bad I know, but with my past, I quit with both my perivioud pregnancies by week 6, lost all craving and taste for it, but giving it up can mess with your cycle really badly.

Ps - I am NOT condoning smoking in pregnancy, and every month I cut back a little more and a little more, nor am I using it as an excuse, but hey, I DON'T want to mess with my cycles right now!! Please feel free to bash my bad habit, but be respectful about it! And not that I am trying to defend myself, but I also drink one cup of home brewed coffee a day, otherwise no caffiene, I do not do food dyes, artificial sweetener, processed foods, maybe drink 2 glasses of wine or 2 beer a month, we eat fruit or veggies at every meal and I walk at least an hour a day... so I;m not a totally unhealthy slob!
    tt125c22.aspx

Need to update a ticker, Silas Anthony Jordon born Oct 11, 2013. 6th baby, so much love!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    lol, as a LONG time smoker who just quit, you wont get any judgements from me! That is another thing I quit when we starting trying. I started to cut back in November, and my last smoke was a week before this cycle started. And I want one EVERY single day. So, thats another reason I just can live without my fountain pop!

p.s. I havent went to get another one yet. I'm currently drinking the melted ice that only kinda tastes like pop!!!
    dads-2.jpg
    ttddb0b.aspx
  • Options
    edited November -1
    pop flavoured icde - thats one way of doing it! Maybe you can switch your obsession from fountain pop to real fruit juice, or sparkling water or something? I don't so anything carbonated, so I;m no help!
    tt125c22.aspx

Need to update a ticker, Silas Anthony Jordon born Oct 11, 2013. 6th baby, so much love!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    haha, I've tried....I think I'm going to just allow myself one pop a day. so what if the pop is 44 ounces! :)
    dads-2.jpg
    ttddb0b.aspx
  • Options
    Autumn&RyanAutumn&Ryan Posts: 157
    edited November -1
    I am a soda pop freak, hence my huge butt...well one of the reasons I have a huge butt! Anyway, my mom was a big time fertile mertile and she drank coffee like crazy, and has always smoked at least a pack a day, but usually more. Now I am not condoning smoking either and I myself am forever grateful that when my mom caught me smoking at 15 she grounded me for a MONTH, yes a MONTH and took away all phone, driving (learners permit) and T.V. privliges. I learned my lesson then and am so glad that i don't smoke in addition to all of my other bad habits!

I just asked a similar question while at the doc last week and my family doc said no more than three 32 oz. fountain soda's a day during pregnancy and TTC. She said on the days that I have coffee to cut it down to two and that the recommendations are the same for pregnant and TTC women. Based on this, I would say you are fine to have two 44 oz. er's a day. Really, soda is not that heavily caffienated (not like coffee anyway unless your drinking mountain dew) and fountain pop is watered down from the can or bottle version.
    Good luck, I tried and failed miserably to cut out caffiene. I have cut it down to one cup of coffee and one 32 oz. pepsi most days...that is the best I can do!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yahoo! You just made my day! I'm on the way to the gas station to fill er up!
    dads-2.jpg
    ttddb0b.aspx
  • Options
    brittneybrittney Posts: 46
    edited November -1
    im glad you asked this because i too love my soda 2days pryer to me ovulating i havent had one soda ,but im going bananas we just insiminated yesterday and im scared it will kill the sperm idk but her soon i might have to take just a swig to feel normal lol and feel the carbonation on my througt
  • Options
    cocobaycocobay Posts: 1,318
    edited November -1
    Oh, I forgot to mention my doctor did tell me to limit my caffiene to two 8oz. drinks a day while I am pregnant. Every doctor is different.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    :) yeah, I know. Some will tell you none, some will give you limits. When I was pregnant with my daughter, my doctor did not want me to have any at all.
    dads-2.jpg
    ttddb0b.aspx
  • Options
    mommylovemommylove Posts: 1,582
    edited November -1
    Just wanted to second what Ptownmoms said...

My OB told me one cup of coffee per day is better then decaf due to the use of chemicals in it. I drank 1 cup of coffee per day all throughout TTC and my pregnancy.
    be422225-267e-4ff7-94c0-a8d5baf3176a_zpse0970fea.jpg
    October 2014

Dk5Zm7.png

22gfm7.png
  • Options
    nervouswrecknervouswreck Posts: 379
    edited November -1
    I have given up diet pepsi . My miscarriage was my wakeup call. IDK if it was the diet pepsi that made me miscarry, but I know that drinking 6-8 cans a day couldn't be good for me or my unborn child. I know that I will not regret giving up the soda. That being said it was VERY hard to give it up.I started be drinking the white bottle of diet pepsi ( no caffiene) then slowly got rid of it alltogether The first week I had crazy headaches, but knowing that is normal and to be expected helped to keep me motivated. I am on week three without soda. I also drank quite a bit of coffee, and now I am down to one small cup a day. I don't want to wonder "what if" again.TTC and being pregnant are great motivators!
  • Options
    emn'saremn'sar Posts: 393
    edited November -1
    i cut down to a max of 1 cup of coffee/day when ttc, during the tww, and also now that i'm pregnant. i thought i could never live without coffee. i TRY to drink my one cup a day, but i have to say, it causes the nausea to be SO much worse sometimes! i don't think i've finished a single cup of coffee in the last 3 weeks. it just tastes too acidic to me now! i never would have guessed...
    IMG_3390_zpse5e180d0.jpg
    IMG_2211_zps372f01d9.jpg
    Avery 2.5 years and Julian 4.5 months
  • Options
    WEhopeWEhope Posts: 42
    edited November -1
    First, I just have to say that, as a midwesterner transplanted for the past 15 years in the northeast, I am so happy to see so many people using the word "pop" instead of "soda!"

I have generally tried to cut back on caffeine whenever ttc'ing. I've just switched to the swiss water process decaf, since it doesn't have the bad chemicals. Whole Foods has a couple kinds and I like the taste of them (I add flavored creamers if I'm missing the greater variety of options that come with the full-caff).
    FEW.jpg
    With our angel, lost 10/15/09, but always with us
  • Options
    edited November -1
    WEhope wrote:
    First, I just have to say that, as a midwesterner transplanted for the past 15 years in the northeast, I am so happy to see so many people using the word "pop" instead of "soda!"

It's most helpful for this lowly Canadian too! OT, I went to Colville at the beginning of the month shopping, and at one point said to Tim "don't leave the buggy in the middle of the aisle" and some guy actuaslly came over and said "excuse me, what did you say? Did you just call it a buggy? you must be Canadian!", first off, the way HE said buggy sounded more like "Boogie" to me, and I just giggled... I live 10 minutes from the border, and yet apparently our languages are very different sometimes!!
    tt125c22.aspx

• Options
    emn'saremn'sar Posts: 393
    edited November -1
    yay me too! until i moved to new york, i thought only people on tv used the word "soda". ugh. i still haven't gotten used to it!
    IMG_3390_zpse5e180d0.jpg
    IMG_2211_zps372f01d9.jpg
    Avery 2.5 years and Julian 4.5 months
  • Options
    KTZKTZ Posts: 1,240
    edited November -1
    My wonderful partner just bought me swiss-water process decaf organic coffee. She then made it into a toddy concentrate. Yum:) Today was my first morning off of regular caffeine and that resulted in a headache. I quit smoking a little less than a month ago. Swimmers arrive on Thursday:)

I really didn't think that switching to decaf would be a big deal since I really only drink on cup of coffee each morning. It did.

Congratts to everyone on all the the steps taken toward good fertile health:)
    KT
    tt1254ac.aspx
    fFvYm8.png
  • Options
    edited November -1
    southerners say buggie
    A few weeks ago at the grocery store I heard an announcement "we need all available employees to go outside for a buggie round-up"
    I laughed so hard I almost peed in the store.

See and that is totally normal here!!
    tt125c22.aspx

• Options
    edited November -1
    I dont think I could call it soda if I tried :)
    dads-2.jpg
    ttddb0b.aspx
  • Options
    indigoscotindigoscot Posts: 246
    edited November -1
    in scotland the grocery cart is a barrow.
    juice = soda
    coke = soda
    fizzy pop = soda
    pop = soda

i bet the pop in canada came from the scottish immigrants.

g
    nirim4.png
    onmFm5.png
    tMYCm5.png
  • Options
    minnie0672minnie0672 Posts: 1,264
    edited November -1
    I'm right with you ladies that it's too tough to give up the caffeine and that getting rid of it might be worse than anything. However, normally I drink 2-3 diet cokes a day...that's on a good day. In the past 2 days I've barely drank one and it's only because everything tastes like metal today...YUCK! My diet coke doesn't even taste good :(
    6 IUI's resulting in BFN. 7th IUI was the fun one with pregnant...then not...then ectopic at 7 weeks...IVF #1 - miscarriage...IVF #2 miscarriage 5w6d...IVF #3 cancelled due to not growing embryos and pneumonia...IVF# 4 same old story...BFP then miscarriage...this is getting old...onto possibly Donor Egg or Donor Embryo