Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

For those of you who's insurance has covered IUI?????

FlowergirlFlowergirl Posts: 2,040
edited November -1 in Trying to Conceive
A question I've had for awhile now... I'm hoping some of you can help me out here.

A while ago, a couple of you mentioned that you had (#) of IUI's approved by your insurance company. I hope my at home tries will do the trick but I only have 3 of them before my Dr. wants to go to IUI's at his office, so I need to be realistic and look ahead.

My question is, to those of you who have had experience with this, some mentioned getting a response letter from your insurance provider, so I assume you had to submit a request for coverage? Did you have to fill out a form or did you just write a letter at random?

The most important part of my question, does your insurance claim to cover infertility procedures on a pre-approved basis, thus approving a certain number when requested by you, or does it just say no fertility coverage but you were able to get approval based on medical need??? With my DH's situation, IUI would be considered necessary to achieve a pregnancy. So far, I have not had a word of 'fertility' breathed to my insurance company. Everything that my Dr. does, even including Clomid (!!) has been coded for other medical reasons and has all been covered under my insurance.

How have you all handled this?? Thanks in advance!!!
After 9 yrs & 1 devastating loss, we got our BFP at 9DPO ~ and welcomed our beautiful son on Halloween! Best treat ever!!

a3cmlv.jpg

Comments

• Options
    minnie0672minnie0672 Posts: 1,264
    edited November -1
    It also really depends on the state you live in. I happen to work in a state that has great insurance benefits and if you are in a hetero couple and he has infertility that is not surgically done then pretty much everything is covered immediatly. Unfortunately I'm in a very different situation so I have to have "introduction to sperm" (yes, that is the term they use) 6 times in a DOCTORS OFFICE before anything is covered. Fun right?
    6 IUI's resulting in BFN. 7th IUI was the fun one with pregnant...then not...then ectopic at 7 weeks...IVF #1 - miscarriage...IVF #2 miscarriage 5w6d...IVF #3 cancelled due to not growing embryos and pneumonia...IVF# 4 same old story...BFP then miscarriage...this is getting old...onto possibly Donor Egg or Donor Embryo
  • Options
    mommylovemommylove Posts: 1,582
    edited November -1
    I would absolutely call to inquire about benefits. They cannot do anything based on an inquiry...aside from say "not covered".

For us it was different as we had no limit of covered IUI's, mind you it only took us 3. I also have a super good insurance through my employer though, so I understand that this is unusual.

Best of luck!
    be422225-267e-4ff7-94c0-a8d5baf3176a_zpse0970fea.jpg
    October 2014

Dk5Zm7.png

22gfm7.png
  • Options
    TrishlettesTrishlettes Posts: 674
    edited November -1
    I have Maryland BC & BS, my employeer just switched the first of the year. The insurance ladies at my RE office called to find out coverage, they told me nothing was Covered but I then got a letter from my insurance company saying it doesnt cover anything associated with the Donor sperm but I am covered for 6 cycles of IUI. So I just have to pay for sperm and a sperm count at the RE office. I tho didnt initiate any of it really. Just brought in my new card. I think its policy tho for the RE office to give me the pricing for everything. When I first went in they gave me a sheet of paper with all the scenarios spelled out with prices. all the way from just clomid to IVF.
    54W9ZxL.jpg54W9m5.png
  • Options
    FlowergirlFlowergirl Posts: 2,040
    edited November -1
    Thank-you ALL for sharing your information!!! Up until this point, we have not breathed a word of anything related to infertility to my insurance company because even if you call and simply INQUIRE about a procedure related to infertility, they will make a note of it in your record and it may affect whether or not they cover certain things. I was most concerned about my LAP that was upcoming, which I truly didn't want to not have covered because of a simple inquiry phone call. Once that is paid for, I am not nearly so worried and will definitely call and see if I can request approval for some coverage from them. I currently have Blue Advantage (BC/BS) of Arkansas through my employer. I would be forever indebted to them if they would agree to cover some IUI's for me. That would be amazing, to say the least!! Thanks again, everyone!!
    After 9 yrs & 1 devastating loss, we got our BFP at 9DPO ~ and welcomed our beautiful son on Halloween! Best treat ever!!

a3cmlv.jpg