Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

OT--Good Books

chandraandamandachandraandamanda Posts: 676
edited November -1 in Trying to Conceive
What are some of your favorite books? I am looking forward to Winter term ending, and being able to read for fun--un-TTC related. Some of my favorites are--Geek Love (Katherine Dunn), She's Come Undone (Wally Lamb), A Dangerous Woman (Mary McGarry Morris), and **** Out of Carolina (Dorothy Allison). So, what are some of the books you have read, and really enjoyed?
theowlandtheoctopusblog.blogspot.com
Amanda and Chandra
DSCF7259-1.jpg

Comments

• Options
    mommylovemommylove Posts: 1,582
    edited November -1
    Good short reads:
    Sh*t my Dad says - by Justin Halpern
    Jonathan Livingston Seagull - by Richard Bach
    The Little Prince/Le Petit Prince - by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (MY FAVORITE BOOK...for children but so deep everyone should read it!)

Others:
    Born to Run - by Christopher McDougall
    The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - by Stieg Larsson (Book 1 of 3 - The Millenium Trilogy)
    Desert Flower - by Waris Dirie

Just some I'd recommend...
    be422225-267e-4ff7-94c0-a8d5baf3176a_zpse0970fea.jpg
    October 2014

Dk5Zm7.png

22gfm7.png
  • Options
    cocobaycocobay Posts: 1,318
    edited November -1
    Of course the Twilight Saga!!!!

Harry Potter series
    Anything by Emily Giffin is good (really girly and sappy)
    The Help by Kathryn Stockett
    I have just recently started reading a book by Jodi Picoult, it's called House Rules, and it is really good.

Anything by Nicholas Sparks too. He also falls into the girly sappy love story section.
  • Options
    jes1014jes1014 Posts: 32
    edited November -1
    The Sookie Stackhouse series is good for some mindless fun. I usually save them for when I'm sick or traveling and can't focus on a deep story. I just read The Sherlockian and it was pretty good.
  • Options
    mausandlodiemausandlodie Posts: 312 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you like Geek Love, try T.C. Boyle's drop City - one of my favorites. Actually, any T.C. Boyle would be good :-) If you like ****, you might like Push by Sapphire. I haven't read the other two... a few of my other favorites are:

Joyce Carol Oates - Foxfire, Bellefleur, anything she writes
    Ann Patchett - Bel Canto
    A. M. Homes - Music for Torching
    Jose Sarmago - Blindness
    Laurie King - The Beekeeper's Apprentice
    Tolstoy - Anna Karenina

Happy reading!
    fb07f31c-23cd-4846-9060-8d5113d22bdb_zpsejjbeelw.jpg
    4d79eb04-373b-476e-96e2-4b5387a0f1e1_zpsoeetv1ez.jpg
  • Options
    GoobieGoobie Posts: 3,515
    edited November -1
    I'm just finishing up the House Of Night series by PC Cast... it's an easy read, along the Twilight lines in that it is based around teen vampyres, and written from a teens standpoint, so they are pretty quick to zip through, but I am really enjoying it.

I also like The Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon and re-read all 7 books back to back once every two years or so.

Anything by Johnathon Kellerman for the mystery/psychological thriller aspect that I like so much

Stephen King and John Saul, because they are awesome.

A few others I have read that stick out are: the secret life of bees, a million little peices, and the shack, which I would recommend, but I don't remember who any of them are by!

I read way too much... 2000pages a week or more
    tt125c22.aspx

Need to update a ticker, Silas Anthony Jordon born Oct 11, 2013. 6th baby, so much love!
  • Options
    minnie0672minnie0672 Posts: 1,264
    edited November -1
    I love Jodi Piccoult and Emily Giffin....my favorite authors right now are Jennifer Weiner and Jennifer Lancaster (yes both named Jennifer I don't get it either). Both really wonderful authors. Jennifer Weiners "Good in Bed" and "Certain Girls" are on my list of all time favorite books. Jen Lancaster can be found in the comedy area. Her books are HILARIOUS!

Maybe we should set up a book swap on here? Might be fun to share our favorite books?
    6 IUI's resulting in BFN. 7th IUI was the fun one with pregnant...then not...then ectopic at 7 weeks...IVF #1 - miscarriage...IVF #2 miscarriage 5w6d...IVF #3 cancelled due to not growing embryos and pneumonia...IVF# 4 same old story...BFP then miscarriage...this is getting old...onto possibly Donor Egg or Donor Embryo
  • Options
    cocobaycocobay Posts: 1,318
    edited November -1
    Book swap would be awesome but I went paperless a few years ago. Now I have Kindle.
  • Options
    stwrrstwrr Posts: 455 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Woot!! On the Outlander series.

Anyone who is reading it knows how addicting it can be...

And how sad is it that I've had it sitting on my bedside table for two months, waiting to pick up the story again? I'm on book 4 I believe.

Any moment now there will be time to read...

~ Sandy
    407251321.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Outlander is an AWESOME series... we all need a Jamie in our lives!
    tt125c22.aspx

Need to update a ticker, Silas Anthony Jordon born Oct 11, 2013. 6th baby, so much love!
  • Options
    stwrrstwrr Posts: 455 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Chortle. I was thinking we all needed a Claire. ;)

~ Sandy
    407251321.jpg
  • Options
    jes1014jes1014 Posts: 32
    edited November -1
    Hah! I'm re-reading Outlander right now! :)
  • Options
    onmyownonmyown Posts: 300
    edited November -1
    Goobie, I had forgotten about A Million Little Pieces... Great book, I literally screamed out loud the whole time I was reading the dentist scene!

Some of the many, many books I love:

Cold Sassy Tree--Olive Ann Burns
    Five Smooth Stones--Ann Fairbairn
    Wicked, Son of a Witch, etc. --Gregory Maguire
    Anything by Zora Neale Hurston
    Anything by Ayn Rand, but my 2 favorites are Atlas Shrugged (reading that right now might be an eye opener, given the state of our country today) and The Fountainhead.
    For super light and fun reading, anything by Fannie Flagg--Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistlestop Cafe is the most famous one, but they are all good.
    I could go on for weeks and weeks and never run out of titles to recommend or discuss!!
  • Options
    twomomstwomoms Posts: 164 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe - Fannie Flagg
    The Secret Life of Bees - Sue Monk Kidd

If I were trapped on a deserted island and could only have two books, those would be the ones I'd want.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    stwrr wrote:
    Chortle. I was thinking we all needed a Claire. ;)

~ Sandy

*giggle* to each their own!!
    tt125c22.aspx

• Options
    edited November -1
    oooh...yeah...The Secret Life of Bees...LOVED that one!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Oh! If you like suspense, check out these books by Danielle Girard:
    Ruthless Game
    The Rookie Club
    Cold Silence
    Chasing Darkness
    Savage Art
  • Options
    rspbryswrlrspbryswrl Posts: 136
    edited November -1
    I love to read... and I will admit to reading everything! I am guilty for reading supernatral smut like J.R Ward or Laurell K. Hamilton. I love everything ever written by Nicholas Evans, Nicholas Sparks is good for a tear jerker/love story. I think Jennifer Weiner is hiliarious, she nails the plus size point of view. I really liked the Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris or there is the Mercedes Thompson series by Patricia Briggs (werewolves). My favorite book of all time is Pride ad Prejudice- love it, read it every year.

Goobie- Have you read the Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare? Teen lit, super quick read, super addictive! I have read a few other teen lit series that are really good but I will have to rummage through my shelves for names.

I really want to go kindle but have not been able to make the change, I am a self-proclaimed book whore! I buy a book almost every where I go and have to touch at least 10 others while I am shopping. I have a fantasy of a library in my own home... some day, after I win the powerball! LOL

great thread, going to have to look into some of the above, thanks!
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I absolutely could NOT go paperless... I mean, besides being deaf, I LOVE the feel of a book inmy hands, the smell of the paper, reading at my own pace ahhhhh, book whore here too!

I am so going to have to write some of these down and the the bookstore when we are away for Tim's moms wedding (going to a big city, woohooo!)

Thanks for starting this thread!!

editted to add teh word NOT... eek, I can't believe I dropped that the first go round!! I could NOT go paperless!
    tt125c22.aspx

• Options
    chandraandamandachandraandamanda Posts: 676
    edited November -1
    Yay! All kinds of recommendations. I will NEVER be able to go paperless when it comes to books. I guess you can call us book whores too. I love everything about a real book--and bookstores. Now ladies, what is the Sookie Stackhouse series? We finally watched True Blood. We are addicted! Is the TV show based on a book series?
    theowlandtheoctopusblog.blogspot.com
    Amanda and Chandra
    DSCF7259-1.jpg
  • Options
    rspbryswrlrspbryswrl Posts: 136
    edited November -1
    Oh chandraandamanda!!! It is based on the books and if you like True Blood you have to read the books! I loved them, read them all super fast and eagerly wait each new one. True Blood does not follow the books exactly and sometimes I get a little disappointed in the show. Of course I picture characters in my mind and then they don't look quite the same, although I do love me some Alcide Heveraux (sp)!!! And if you like supernatural The Mercedes Thompson series I mentioned above was really good too!
  • Options
    ljfor3ljfor3 Posts: 75
    edited November -1
    The Fever series by Karen Moning is awesome as well. They are very fantasy, romantic as well, even though I think its more sexual tension than anything. The Sookie Stackhouse books are also one of my favorites.
  • Options
    TheOtherLovingMomsTheOtherLovingMoms Posts: 1,481 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I love to read too. I never thought I would ever go paperless either...until I met the Nook Color....and fell in love lol. Anyhow my favorite authors are Jonathan Kellerman....James Patterson....Tess Gerristein....Lisa Jackson....any books by any of those authors is awesome.
    IGXwm4.png
    I just turned 50 and fabulous!!! Enjoying life with my amazing family!!
    Mom to Rachel 33, Bethany 30, Rebekah 30, Zachrey 20 and several angel babies
    Grandma to Larissa 11, Brittney 11, Trevor 11, Destiny 7, Jayvin 6, Jackxon 3, Kaleb Joshua Rian 1. Grandbaby #8, Sariah Grace born 11-17-16