Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

oh no....HELP!

Autumn&RyanAutumn&Ryan Posts: 157
edited November -1 in Trying to Conceive
I was just reading the packaging on my tom catheters and it says "not for human use" but it is sterile. Is this not safe to use for an at home ICI where I would use it to pull the sperm into the syringe???

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I really don't know what to think here ladies, help...please!
  • Options
    aghhgghaghhggh Posts: 60
    edited November -1
    Sterile for cats is still sterile for humans! It's safe to use even in an IUI with humans. If you're just doing ICI, you don't have to worry about sterility.

I believe the reason it says not for human use it that they were designed for use as urinary catheters in small animals. They are *way* too small for human use as a urinary cath, but they work just fine going into the cervix. And they're definitely okay to use intravaginally.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    okay, so you personally would be fine with using one? I am kind nervous about it, like maybe the sterility grade isn't the same, or maybe they are made with some chemical not safe for AI.
    Thanks so much for the imput!
  • Options
    smartycat92smartycat92 Posts: 564
    edited November -1
    I am a veterinarian and tom cat catheters are actually designed to be used as urinary catheters for male cats. And I was amused to learn that they are the catheter of choice for IUIs in people. Sterile is sterile. It is kind of like being pregnant... either you are or you aren't. There is no "sorta" sterile. And the polypropylene is the same as they use for many human catheters.

It really and truly is the catheter most often used even by REs for IUIs so it is perfectly safe. If you google "tom cat catheter" the first several results are actually for IUIs and not veterinary use.

And for ICI they work great. I didn't like them for IUIs as I felt they were too thin and flimsy so we used a different brand of catheter but that is just because I liked the way it handled better... it is perfectly safe for the spermies

Deep breaths and good luck!
    . 0vthk9cno.png
    20137aff-9c20-4097-91b7-ac919c10954f_zpsd88d3a6c.jpg
    o4bd1nxgy.png
  • Options
    GoobieGoobie Posts: 3,515
    edited November -1
    I used the TomCat cath and it was just fine!
    tt125c22.aspx

Need to update a ticker, Silas Anthony Jordon born Oct 11, 2013. 6th baby, so much love!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Smartycat- that is true that the tom cat is the cath used by RE's BUT they make a "for human usage" version so I am VERY curious as to what the difference is? Being a vet, is there anyway you could find out?
    I think they are made by the same company even, so it is weird to me.
    Anyway, thanks ladies for your input.
  • Options
    mommylovemommylove Posts: 1,582
    edited November -1
    Just as an added note there is absolutely no reason you need to use a cath of any kind for a simple ICI insem. DP and I never used one and simply pulled the sperm into the syringe directly. Many have said using the cath just ends up wasting a little sperm as it gets stuck in the cath.
    The cath really only comes in handy and is needed for an IUI insem.

Good luck! :-)
    be422225-267e-4ff7-94c0-a8d5baf3176a_zpse0970fea.jpg
    October 2014

Dk5Zm7.png

22gfm7.png
  • Options
    smartycat92smartycat92 Posts: 564
    edited November -1
    The difference probably is just they have to label them differently for human use but they are almost certainly made the same way just with a different label (and probably a higher price tag). I will look in to it more. But I still wouldn't worry... sterile is sterile and they use those same catheters for inseminations in animals too. They are definitely sperm friendly.
    . 0vthk9cno.png
    20137aff-9c20-4097-91b7-ac919c10954f_zpsd88d3a6c.jpg
    o4bd1nxgy.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    @Smartycat, that was going to be my other question, if those were sperm friendly or not. Whatever tehy are made of would have to be some sort of plastic product.
    @Mommylove, I didn't need the cath for the insemination, but had a hard time get the syringe into the vial so I used the cath only to pull the sperm into the syringe. This was the last time we TTC, and was the plan for this time too. I can't remember where I bought them, but have some left from 4 years ago when I got preg with my dd.