Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

How do you know EXACTLY when you ovulate????

FaithHopeLoveFaithHopeLove Posts: 59
edited February 2011 in Trying to Conceive
I usually get a temp dip, always get a +OPK and clear temp shift. But how do you *EXACTLY* know you O'd 12, 24, 48 etc hours after +OPK? I have O cramping for a few days before O. Some months my OPK is + on the day of the temp dip, sometimes the day after when temp is on it's way up. (Check my charts if you'd like)
I am 'over 40', so wondering if we need to try closer to +OPK, maybe 12 hours after? We have done 2 IUI cycles. 1st was 2 vials at 23 and 34 hrs past +OPK. 2nd was 1 vial at 20 hours after+. Or maybe my old eggs are being stubborn and we should stick with about 24 hours after +OPK???? We will be doing 1 IUI this weekend. As much as I reasearch and read about this, you'd think I would have a better 'plan' by now!
Thanks for any advise ladies!

Comments

• Options
    BabyBugsArrivalBabyBugsArrival Posts: 523
    edited November -1
    A couple cycles ago, I really searched high and low for answers on temps and ovulation time. I didn't save the link *sorry* but I read that it typically takes a full 24 hours to see a substantial temp shift after ovulation. I guess time for the corpus luteum to start breaking down and releasing progesterone into your blood stream. For me, I didn't notice a very big dip before O, but sometimes it was lower the day of +opk. My cycles have been +opk on cd 15 and temp jump on the morning of cd 18. So, I'm guessing I ovulate sometime on cd17. We time our iuis at somewhere from 24 to 40 hours after opk. For me, I get crampy for the few days of ovulation so I can't really use that to pinpoint it. Although, I will say that the one month I had some serious twinges and O cramps was when I was using Fertilitea the whole month. I had a serious cramp that only lasted a couple of minutes and I'm guessing that was O. I never have much cm, but mine does get more thinned out and clear when we do the later iui. For the iui at around 24 hours, so far my cervix has been a little less open and cm has been a bit cloudier. Hope some of this info helps. It's really just all a puzzle and you have to put the pieces together and guess.
    mommaandme-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I see lots of ladies say 'I O'd 12 hours/32 hours, etc after +OPK'. I get a very clear +, and then my O symptoms fade. But I don't know EXACTLY when I O!!!!
  • Options
    RW17RW17 Posts: 197
    edited November -1
    I don't know if you can know exactly. But based on really trying to "feel" ovulation and when my fertile CM dried up, I thought it was more on the later end. Also the early insems for me resulted in nothing, but when I did them later I often had either a suspected chemical pregnancy or real pregnancy. And the real pregnancy was the cycle we had our latest insem ever (~40 hours after the +OPK, though we also did one at 9 and 24 hours after that month too).
  • Options
    jes1014jes1014 Posts: 32
    edited November -1
    I have read that your os will be most open at ovulation. Do you check that? We've found it easiest to do with a speculum
  • Options
    Sassy2uSassy2u Posts: 236
    edited November -1
    Ok this is probably stupid, but could someone tell a newbie what OS stands for. Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Not stupid at all! The os is the opening to the cervix.
  • Options
    Sassy2uSassy2u Posts: 236
    edited November -1
    OH ok thanks so much.
  • Options
    footprintsfootprints Posts: 235
    edited November -1
    My rm states, there is no way you can tell the exact moment you ovulate. We do blood work to test for proges, ultrasounds, and trigger shots...but do not know the exact moment we ovulate. Good Luck!
    tt12ed52.aspx
  • Options
    old mamaold mama Posts: 4,682
    edited November -1
    I read some good advice for women over 40. That if you are waiting for that OPK+ that you may be waiting too long that women over 40 actually ovulate earlier. They suggested that you watch carefully your cervix and fluids. I got one bfp at day 10! Good Luck..just something to look into.