Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

OPKs vs CBEFM

Sassy2uSassy2u Posts: 236
edited February 2011 in Trying to Conceive
Ok so I started charting yesterday with the first day of my period. I have already purchased the clearblue easy fertility monitor and I wonder if I should also buy the OPKs as well. I read a lot about them but don't see much at all written about the monitor on the forum. However, I did hear really good things about it elsewhere. So to all the ladies out there who have been at this for a little while: which one is better for AI? Thanks in advance for any info.

Comments

• Options
    rspbryswrlrspbryswrl Posts: 136
    edited November -1
    I use the CBFM but it only tests once a day with fmu... thusly it is a good idea to use opk too when you get close because it will not get your initial surge. For example with me the last 2 months I have gotten HIGH with CBFM with fmu and negative opk but then when I retest at 10am I get my smiley, and then the following morning on CBFM I have gotten my peak. Based on that I would have missed my surge and my timing would be off by about 20 hours... I know I won't ovulate before day 14 so cd14 I start using the smileys at about 10am, 2pm and 6pm in order to catch initial surge and base my timing on that. I have had the CBFM for so many years I use it off and on but I think it is more for women doing it the old fashion way with fresh spermies... not sure I would purchase it again.
  • Options
    TheOtherLovingMomsTheOtherLovingMoms Posts: 1,481 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You should definately get the smiley opk test kits
    IGXwm4.png
    I just turned 50 and fabulous!!! Enjoying life with my amazing family!!
    Mom to Rachel 33, Bethany 30, Rebekah 30, Zachrey 20 and several angel babies
    Grandma to Larissa 11, Brittney 11, Trevor 11, Destiny 7, Jayvin 6, Jackxon 3, Kaleb Joshua Rian 1. Grandbaby #8, Sariah Grace born 11-17-16
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks ladies. I will purchase the OPKs as well.
  • Options
    muripherousmuripherous Posts: 264
    edited November -1
    I used the CBFM for three months but also used OPKs. As soon as the CBFM started showing "high" readings, I'd begin using OPKs (3-4 times a day) as a back up, since the CBFM only lets you test once a day. Once the OPKs started to get darker, I'd back those up with Smilies as well.

For instance, on my last cycle, I got my third consecutive "high" reading at 10:00 Sunday morning from the CBFM. Come 4:30 that afternoon, I got a positive OPK and a Smilie.

It might seem like overkill to use so many different testing methods...but, it worked for me this time around.

Good luck to you!
    kR99m5.png
    6monthcollage.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the additional info. And it really does not sound like overkill. Anything to add to the chances of getting my BFP. And congratulations on your yours!!
  • Options
    peppyjdpeppyjd Posts: 114
    edited November -1
    DP uses the CBEFM and smileys. During the last two cycles, she got a "high" reading on the CBEFM at 6 AM (with a neg opk) and a +OPK by 8:30 am!!!! If we went only by the CBEFM, her LH surge would have actually been about 22 hours prior! And here is the kicker....she has a surge that is less than 24 hours, so those two months she did not get a "peak" on the CBEFM. she uses the CBEFM and opks as the PP does.
    DP to 2moms2be
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Peppy. That seems to be the consensus, that CBEFM is good for knowing when you are getting close but unreliable for knowing the exact time of surge. So I will use it the same way as you and Muripherous have suggested. I cannot believe I spent so much on that stupid thing. That was before I found this forum and learned so much from alll the pregnancy geniuses here.
  • Options
    fischfisch Posts: 570 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    We used the CBEFM for both pregnancies, and used opks also. When using a doctor, we strictly went by the CBEFM, and went in 24 hours after the surge on the monitor. We often had trouble reading the opk's unless they were smileys. Some months they didn't match up and that was frustrating....needless to say we have gotten pregnant twice.
    age.png

age.png
  • Options
    peppyjdpeppyjd Posts: 114
    edited November -1
    Sassy2u wrote:
    I cannot believe I spent so much on that stupid thing. That was before I found this forum and learned so much from alll the pregnancy geniuses here.

LOL Sassy...if it's any consolation, you can resell it on Ebay! Keep the box and instructions and you'll make a little more on it! That's where we got ours.
    DP to 2moms2be
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Peppy. I will do that.
  • Options
    RW17RW17 Posts: 197
    edited November -1
    I used both. I think the digital OPKs and the CBEFM are the same technology so they'll line up (Except you can only dot he CBEFM once a day and the OPKs as many times as you want to). It sort of seemed like a waste of money to do both.

And I think I ovulated the second peak day on the CBEFM, not the first peak day, but it took me awhile to figure that out.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks RW17. I am at cycle day 10 and began doing both OPKs and CBEFM today so I can really pinpoint O.