Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

radio show today about hormones and fertility

WEhopeWEhope Posts: 42
edited November -1 in Trying to Conceive
At 11 this morning (it also airs again at 8 PM at wbur.org, I believe), On Point on NPR is doing a show on evolution, hormones and fertility. (http://onpoint.wbur.org/2011/03/02/scent-of-a-woman)

One of the things I've been wondering about lately is whether my partner's cycle might be discouraging my body from holding a pregnancy.

We are in *lock step* now in terms of the day we get our period and the length of our cycles, and I wonder if her pheromones aren't pulling my body towards getting my period, rather than getting pregnant. I know it might sound crazy, but there is some pretty extensive research out there about the power of our reproductive hormones/pheromones and how women "sync up" when they live in close quarters.

I imagine they'll cover all sorts of stuff that is interesting to those of us ttc.
FEW.jpg
With our angel, lost 10/15/09, but always with us

Comments

• Options
    WEhopeWEhope Posts: 42
    edited November -1
    sorry, I should have said that those times are EST.
    FEW.jpg
    With our angel, lost 10/15/09, but always with us
  • Options
    GoobieGoobie Posts: 3,515
    edited November -1
    You know, it's a possibility... I did not get my period in July, because at the time my stepdaughter was living with us and that was the month she got pregnant... so I don't see why it can't work the other way around.

I have a stupid busy day today, but let us know how the program was!!
    tt125c22.aspx

Need to update a ticker, Silas Anthony Jordon born Oct 11, 2013. 6th baby, so much love!
  • Options
    BabyBugsArrivalBabyBugsArrival Posts: 523
    edited November -1
    Interesting. I'll try to check this out! Thanks for sharing...I've often wondered the same thing.
    mommaandme-1.jpg
  • Options
    Sassy2uSassy2u Posts: 236
    edited March 2011
    Thanks for the info. I love NPR and this is women's appreciation month so they have a lot of great stories scheduled.
  • Options
    FlowergirlFlowergirl Posts: 2,040
    edited November -1
    It is definitely a proven fact that women who live, work, etc. in the same close quarters, will slowly sync over time. The norm is that everyone's cycles will adjust to follow the oldest cycling woman in the group. We have found this even at work, where the same group of us work together every day and the youngest ones have been a few days late every month, bringing them closer and closer to the rest of us - now after about 6ish months, we are all within the same week. The oldest is still first... Interesting, right?

As far as a pregnant or non pregnant partner or close friend/coworker keeping you from being pregnant.... I don't know... I do know they used to say if you were trying to get pregnant, a new baby's smell helped get your hormones into the right place for pregnancy. I have no reason to believe this helps though, as I have spent so much time holding, caring for newborns while TTC and it never made any difference. I was actually a Nanny to triplet newborns at one point and was with them 10 hours a day, 6 days a week and it never helped...

Hmmmm... interesting! Thanks for sharing the info!
    After 9 yrs & 1 devastating loss, we got our BFP at 9DPO ~ and welcomed our beautiful son on Halloween! Best treat ever!!

a3cmlv.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Very interesting!!!
    wMgFm5.png