Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

HPV...the virus that causes cervical cancer

Autumn&RyanAutumn&Ryan Posts: 157
edited November -1 in Trying to Conceive
I searched this on this forum as well as asked my sperm bank about it and I can't find much info about whether or not it can be spread thru donor sperm, and why it is not being tested for. Anyone know???

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you, since I use CCB I asked one of their reps today and she said I need to speak with a lab tech and or my physician so I will call their lab tech tomorrow and get what info they have on it.
    Kind scary if you ask me!
  • Options
    SPJ&ESPJ&E Posts: 874 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was also read somewhere that there is not currently an FDA approved, 100% accurate way to test for it in sperm. I don't know if that's true, but I asked Xytex if they tested for it (back when we were bank shopping) because I had seen that Fairfax does. Xytex told me they didn't for the reason in my first sentence.
    Mom to P (13), J (11), E (6), and Q (born December 2017)
  • Options
    chandraandamandachandraandamanda Posts: 676
    edited November -1
    Interesting. Thanks ladies. I can't believe I hadn't even considered the transmission of HPV using donor sperm.
    theowlandtheoctopusblog.blogspot.com
    Amanda and Chandra
    DSCF7259-1.jpg
  • Options
    mommylovemommylove Posts: 1,582
    edited November -1
    Consider also that even though HPV is common for many women/girls to carry there are only a few (not common) types of HPV that are the kind that are linked to increases in cancer.
    Just an FYI...personally, it's not something I'd put too much stock in nor would I choose to vaccinate for it.
    Just another thought.
    be422225-267e-4ff7-94c0-a8d5baf3176a_zpse0970fea.jpg
    October 2014

Dk5Zm7.png

22gfm7.png
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I won't vaccinate my girls for it either but I am calling my chosen bank today to talk to them about it.
    I know that they do a VERY THOROUGH exam so I plan to ask what exactly they look for and how they "screen" for it without a blood test.
    I am trying not to worry too much about it though, I will post more info later.
  • Options
    cocobaycocobay Posts: 1,318
    edited November -1
    I was vaccinated for it in high school. My mom asked me and my sister if we would and we both chose too. No side effects from the vaccination (series of 3 shots). I feel better knowing my risk for getting it is decreased dramatically. There was a girl on my softball team that had the virus and had to go through so many treatments and take so many meds just to keep it under control. She would break out with warts all over her body and people would make fun of her. Very sad.
  • Options
    babystarbabystar Posts: 203 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is an interesting thread. I was actually going to start a topic similar myself, however didn't because I didn't know If I wanted to start something that I can't back. O.K. so my last pap I got diagnosed with HPV, I am unsure of what strand. I was told that I shouldn't be worried ( Yeah Right) that I should "respect" it (diagnosis) & that Zero cancer cells were detected. I have never had sexual intercourse with a man. I have had a few female partners. I have had exposure to 3 donor sperm samples. I talked with my doctor & explained the above to her & she said that there is no "sure" way to test Men for HPV. I was stunned! I never thought about this, because I figured since they called it a STD that "well it's tested very well (sperm) well not for everything, I guess. However on a second note, HPV can be passed through Oral sex and sexual contact with any member opposite/ not opposite sex!!! So It's hard to pin point exactly where I have been exposed to HPV?? I don't have warts or any other symptom just an abnormal pap. Thought I'd share, because who knows, it could have came from donor sperm.
    dogdogcrd20050429_-8_Braden+Matthew++is.png
    catcatavi20100915_-23_Addison+is.png
    foxfoxabu20120203_-23_Cullen+is.png
    eleelesdg20141229_1_Ella%20Jeanne%20is.png
  • Options
    PtownMomsPtownMoms Posts: 768
    edited November -1
    Like babystar I also tested positive for HPV (3 paps ago). There are SOOOOO many strands of HPV...I think like 70. I had the low risk kind that does not cause warts (some do, some don't...just like some can cause cervical cancer, some don't). I also didn't have an cervical changes..which is typically what they are looking for if HPV is detected. It is nearly impossible to figure out when you got it because for some people in can lay dormant for years and years and years.

For me, by the following pap (so 2 paps ago) it had cleared up. So the pap 3 years ago was the only "abnormal" pap I've ever had.

I was surprised to find out how common it is. Most of the information I was given shows that 75% of americans have at one point been carriers of the virus. And out of those people...only 1-5% have noticeable symptoms. A lot of people never even know they had it because it clears up before they even have an abnormal pap...or any symptoms.
    Carrie & Monica

sig_zps0be86692-1_zpse4fe5311.jpg
  • Options
    chandraandamandachandraandamanda Posts: 676
    edited November -1
    Yes, there are so many different strands of the virus. As others have posted, only a few of those strands can cause cervical cancer. I can tell you--that was of no comfort to me when I discovered I was positive for HPV after an abnormal pap, and then finding pre-cancerous cells. The procedure to remove the pre-cancerous cells is scary, and can be painful.
    I think it's wonderful that they have discovered a vaccine for HPV. I don't know that I would have our daughter (if we were to have one) get the vaccine because it is new and long term effects are not known.
    theowlandtheoctopusblog.blogspot.com
    Amanda and Chandra
    DSCF7259-1.jpg
  • Options
    aghhgghaghhggh Posts: 60
    edited November -1
    I'm sorry to say I hadn't even considered this. I never even associated HPV with seminal fluid since it's primarily passed by skin-to-skin contact. I'm going to have to do some research!

I don't think this will change my donor decisions at this point, and I don't think I'm going to be getting vaccinated. The best way to protect yourself from cervical cancer is still regular Pap exams. Still though, wow, that's something to think about.
  • Options
    leahleah Posts: 228
    edited November -1
    I have not considered this either until I went in for my physical and the doctor said that since I had three normal paps in a row for the previous years and I am in a stable relationship I only need to be tested every three years. When she mentioned this it occured to me that donor insemination might be like another 'relationship', so I told her about it and she had no idea if a doctor assisted IUI would still put me at risk or not. Her solution was to have a blood test that will show if I was exposed. Later on I have found out my bank actually tests for HPV, so I had no qualms about doing at home inseminations.
    d5bbb078-585d-43c0-91b2-f2c2a9235078_zps6a880375.jpg
  • Options
    RW17RW17 Posts: 197
    edited November -1
    It isn't tested for. I thought about that too but figured well-- you'd be at about the same risk if you ever had sex with a man. And most people end up with some form of HPV eventuallyt. And even if they did test the'd only be testing for a few of the hundreds of strains. So it's just a risk one has to take... but I do think it's weird people don't discuss this more...
  • Options
    RW17RW17 Posts: 197
    edited November -1
    Also it can be spread female-to-female via skin contact or sex toys, so even if you've never been intimate with a man there's no way to think it's necessarily the donor sperm...