Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Is it best to insem before or after ovulation?

edited November -1 in Trying to Conceive
I've read that 6 hours on either side is the optimum window......wondering if you guys have any preference....and/or success beyond that general rule?

We're going with one vial and trying to decide best timing as I'm pretty sure I ovulate around 28 hours post surge.

thank you!!
wMgFm5.png

Comments

• Options
    SPJ&ESPJ&E Posts: 874 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You want to get as close to your ovulation as possible, obviously. Ideally, you want the sperm there waiting on the egg when it's released...but you don't want the sperm there too soon, as it will die. Timing is tricky!

But if you do ovulate around 28 hrs. post surge, I would do the insemination 24-30 hrs. after. That's probably the most common timing with one vial, although some do wait longer (36-48 hrs.) because they ovulate later.

Good luck!
    Mom to P (13), J (11), E (6), and Q (born December 2017)
  • Options
    GaBeekeeperGaBeekeeper Posts: 916
    edited November -1
    I hope this helps. I know my situation is a little different than how your trying. I had the trigger shot and the two times that we did the IUI 24 or 27 hrs after the trigger shot I did not work. I knew it was too early.
    When I got my BFP that ended in MC in October I had the IUI 36hrs after the trigger shot.
    And with this BFP I had the IUI 37hr after trigger shot and I requested a US to see what my follicles were doing, and they were "minutes away " from being released. So for me, 36/37hrs worked.
    pqkom4.png
    FxZxm4.pngcarousel_zps296ade6d.jpg
  • Options
    mknbaby2mknbaby2 Posts: 405
    edited November -1
    With my daughter I used two IUI vials (only vials available for our donor). First one was at Positive OPK and second one was the next morning around 18-20 hours after Pos. We did not do an IUI though... just put them in as close as possible. FF put my O down for the same day as Pos OPK. I get strong O pains and sometimes even spotting so I'm sure I O soon after my surge! I suggest you listen to your body and go with your gut. Good Luck!!
    P1050420-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you all so much!!

GaBee I'm kind of thinking of doing what you did and asking for an U/S before IUI - although I think I'm going to ask to push it back to 30-32 hours past - although by then I'm pretty sure I will have o'd.

Having that u/s though is going to tell me if I O when I think I am (getting very strong pains).

And hopefully stronger follies!
    wMgFm5.png
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks H&B -- I'm thinking that I ovulate earlier than you girls - so I'm thinking that if I maybe push it back to 30 hrs post that's still waiting later than I had been before....but potentially will be after O - I'm going to ask for that ultrasound prior as well just to see
    wMgFm5.png
  • Options
    em'smomsem'smoms Posts: 1,439
    edited November -1
    Hello, I am new to this forum and have a question and just figured I would put it in here since it is somewhat related. We are going to try at home for the first time this month (first one was conceived IUI in doctor's office). Here is my question:
    How long will a vial stay viable after removing it from the dewer?

I am due to ovulate sometime during the weekend (between 3/18 and 3/20), unfortunately we are leaving for a weekend vacation via airplane that same weekend on the morning of 3/18!!! I am struggling between just buying one vial and inseminating before we leave regardless of if I have surged or buying 2 vials in the hopes of surging on the earlier side and getting the chance to inseminate twice before we leave with good timing OR can we bring a vial with us (remove it from the dewer Friday morning) and use it Friday evening in the hotel????

Any thoughts?? Thank you!!!
  • Options
    beyondobsessedbeyondobsessed Posts: 804
    edited November -1
    em'smoms: Unfortunately, the vial isn't going to stay viable that long. I wouldn't risk trying to take it on the trip with you. It thaws pretty quickly, and you have to insem right away.

You could order 2, try to get good timing before you leave, then either send one or both of them back if you don't use it/them. Then you can always try next month.

Good luck! And have a great trip!
    squsqusrd20120522_-6_Our+Little+Man+is.png
  • Options
    sugarprincesssugarprincess Posts: 629
    edited November -1
    I think waiting and doing it in the evening would be a waste of money, they would start to die if they are not in fertile cm.
  • Options
    em'smomsem'smoms Posts: 1,439
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the quick responses! I did not know that returning an unused vial was an option! I will ask about that when I call and order today!
  • Options
    RW17RW17 Posts: 197
    edited November -1
    I think some of our insems that didn't work hit the day before but not the day of, so I say just try to get at least the day of...