Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

TTC self-insemination

Mommy_MooseMommy_Moose Posts: 1
edited November -1 in Trying to Conceive
My husband works out of town, getting home a week after ovulation and leaving again mid-period. Shipping the "goods" from himself to me would be impossible due to his work schedule and location. I know sperm can live 5 days (give or take) inside the female body, but I was wondering how long it would stay viable outside of the human body? For example, if he left me "some" JUST before he left for work, at what point would it not be usable anymore? I guess, I'm trying to determine if there is any possibility of self-insemination for us. His last day home would be on cycle day 4 and I have been getting a positive ovulation prediction kit test on day 9. Obviously conceiving on day 4 of my cycle (my AF usually being 6-7 days) isn't possible.

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Options
    friendamyfriendamy Posts: 588
    edited November -1
    nope :( outside the human body, and exposed to air, it wouldn't last more than an hour or so. certainly not a day or more.

is there a sperm bank near you? some (most?) allow your DH to drop off his sample, they can freeze it, and you can pick it up and use the frozen sperm. I don't know how much it would cost, but it's an option. especially if he wouldn't be able to ship it.
    Amy (39)
    DS (7) - d#470
    Boy, n.: a noise with dirt on it.

age.png
  • Options
    chandraandamandachandraandamanda Posts: 676
    edited March 2011
    Or, if you only needed it to stay good for a couple of days this kit that's used for shipping might help. I think this is the lowest price you can get one for:
    http://www.babiesbymail.com/
    Good luck!
    theowlandtheoctopusblog.blogspot.com
    Amanda and Chandra
    DSCF7259-1.jpg