Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

X-posted lengthy but worth reading if you are TTC. ****UPDATE****

First HopeFirst Hope Posts: 511
edited March 2011 in Trying to Conceive
I am 6dpo 5dpai. I am telling my story not to scare anyone, or change anyone's mind, but just to let you know what can happen. I have thought long and hard about to tell or not to tell.

After our 2nd AI, I broke out in a rash within 35 minutes, and within an hour I had cramping. This being my first AI (DP carried last pregnancy) I thought well maybe I should be cramping. 36 hours later I was in the emergency room with major abdominal and back cramping. Enough to make me cry and not be able to get out of bed. I have mentioned on the forum prior that I have PCOS and recall my first cyst rupturing at the age of 13. KEY POINT, I took 100 mg of clomid NOT MONITORED by a Dr. because honestly I knew the risks and possible outcomes.

So this is what they have found: my only ovary is about double the normal size. I have 3 cyst on the ovary some much larger than others, one being a complex cyst. IF you add up all the sizes of the enlarged ovary and cyst it is about 12 times larger than what it should be. During this tww which should be happy and joyful has been a nightmare. At the hospital to rule out appendicitis I was told I NEEDED to have a CT with IV contrast. Obviously the hospital was required to tell me that the risk were high if I were to be newly pregnant.

The reason why I share this is because I know along with the Dr.'s which now I have seen a few also know that I have somewhat hyperstimulated my ovary. It makes you very ill including fevers, pain from your belly button to your knees, vomiting, abdominal swelling, rash, and who knows what I have forget to mention. The pain has not got much better, they have given me medication that is pregnancy class C, but the risk in theri opinion outway the benefit of not taking it.
On April 11th I have a surgical consult to have a partial or complete hysterectomy. It depends on what changes between now an then in my body and a lot of thought on my part, as a hysterectomy is life altering. She has already warned me I will probably be crazy for a bit after.

I know most women on here won't experience what I went through, and there are so many great outcomes with the same steps I took to TTC. All I can say is for those women TTC and are using medication not being supervised by a Dr. just beware. Like I said I did know the risk, it was one of the last post I put on here before being mostly silent the last few days.

Could I be pregnany, time will tell but all signs point to no. I thought I would be devistated if this happened, however when you become this ill and you are in so much pain (and knowing I have a DP who can carry again) the blow has been pretty low. I just want to feel normal again.

So again, the main point I want to send is if at all possible, if you have a fertility issue or history of, do your best to be monitored by a Dr. If my DP TTC again, we won't be using a Dr. she has no history of infertility and does require meds to help her along.

It has been a long 5-6 days, the first 36 hours being joyful and exciting and after that I now am more than okay if I don't get pregnant, infact I think it would be ideal if I am not. Of course I would be over joyed and do everything in my power to complete a 9 month term baby. Even If I do get pregnant at this point the chances of being able to carry past the first trimester are low.

I am stubborn and a nurse on top of it so sometimes knowledge is not a good thing, I thought without a doubt I could do this without a Dr.
AGAIN IF YOU HAVE NO ISSUES, I still would not use a Dr. unless I did not feel I knew for the most part what I was doing. I mean DP got pregnant on her first cycle. Just because you have a smiley facing back at you does NOT mean you are ovulating even more so if you have PCOS.

I don't want this to be a drag or discourage anyone from TTC, just be careful, I don't want anyone to go through what I have. I am not even caring how many dPo I am and could care less to take a HPT at 10ish days.

I am only telling all you women because I care about each and everyone of you.

Wishing everyone the very best of luck in the TTC journey, and I am not going anywhere, I have been here for over 2 years and plan to remain here for a very long time.

Please see below post for update. Thanks all
tt13112d.aspxQWRVm7.pngDSC_0904-1.jpgDSC_0858-1.jpg

Comments

• Options
    sugarprincesssugarprincess Posts: 629
    edited November -1
    Wow i am so sorry to hear what you are going through. I would also be too scared to self medicate without a doctor due to unforseen complications. I hope you have a speedy recovery and are feeling better soon
  • Options
    indigoscotindigoscot Posts: 246
    edited November -1
    wow, that is some update. hugs to you, this must be a very difficult time. i hope everything works out well.

i have to second what first hope has said. taking fertility drugs w/o monitoring and especially w/o knowing if you have any ovarian issues can be incredibly dangerous.

fwiw, when i was ttc ds1 there was another woman on here ttc. she took clomid (only 50mg) and was monitored and STILL got ohss. her doctor said she was in a minority of women who react that way to clomid. thankfully due to the monitoring she was ok but was not able to inseminate that cycle. she refused to take clomid again. next cycle she became pregnant with her daughter.

first hope, please keep us posted as you have more news to share. i am keeping you in my thoughts.

g
    nirim4.png
    onmFm5.png
    tMYCm5.png
  • Options
    mamamiamamamia Posts: 33
    edited November -1
    Oh my! I am soooo sorry to hear about this! I was hoping for some great news updates from ya'll! BUT I also second what you have to say- I was going to go the medicated no DR route and I decided the risk was not worth it for me right now ( I have PCOS too and I know what a PITA it is!!) I hope you feel better super fast!
  • Options
    TheOtherLovingMomsTheOtherLovingMoms Posts: 1,481 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hope you get better real soon. I also hope you don't have to have a partial or full hysterectomy, I had a partial 8 years ago. I did not make me go crazy, I was happy to have it done because I bled constantlly for over 2 years before they finally did it. I still have my ovaries.
    I agree with you 100% on not taking meds unless you are being monitored, DP is on clomid but she is monitored and is on it because she was not ovulating on her own.
    Again, I hope you feel better soon!!!
    IGXwm4.png
    I just turned 50 and fabulous!!! Enjoying life with my amazing family!!
    Mom to Rachel 33, Bethany 30, Rebekah 30, Zachrey 20 and several angel babies
    Grandma to Larissa 11, Brittney 11, Trevor 11, Destiny 7, Jayvin 6, Jackxon 3, Kaleb Joshua Rian 1. Grandbaby #8, Sariah Grace born 11-17-16
  • Options
    ncteacherncteacher Posts: 178
    edited November -1
    WOW. I am glad that you are recovering. Of course I hope that you won't need the hystorectomy, but thank God that you caught things in time!
  • Options
    KTZKTZ Posts: 1,240
    edited November -1
    Thank you for sharing your story. I'm so sorry you have had to go through this.
    tt1254ac.aspx
    fFvYm8.png
  • Options
    edited November -1
    oh wow! I'm so sorry to hear that you're dealing with this - truly like you said, it sounds as if you'r etaking it in stride. I think you're right to share this with ladies on here. I think that Clomid is so regularly prescribed that it's almost considered to be a 'starter" med or something that's maybe just kinda like 'give it a shot and see what happens' - obviously for some ladies here it works no problem, but in your situation....just wow!

Very scary stuff!

Hope that you get to feeling better soon!
    wMgFm5.png
  • Options
    Shaeley MaeShaeley Mae Posts: 1,731
    edited November -1
    Oh my gosh.
    What a horrible story of complications. I am so sorry for the turn of events.

My hat's off to you for being so selfless during this difficult time, and posting the warning to others.
    You will be in my prayers for quick healing.

Hugs!!
    IMG_0408-rs.jpgIMG_7844-rs.jpg
  • Options
    First HopeFirst Hope Posts: 511
    edited November -1
    First I want to say thank you for all the loving support, you have no idea what it means. I think it is more important when things are not great than when things are great ya know.

The only update which just makes me a little nervous is I have gained 7 pounds since the day post AI. I could see a pound or two, but 7. 5 pounds in the last 24 hours. I look pregnant like 4 months. I was wondering what I would tell someone if they asked me today. Thank heavens that did not happen.

THANK YOU so very much for all the support. You women mean so very much to me, some are like family. I will let everyone know the changes, more just so others are informed and not so naive like myself. I think I was more confident than naive but which ever way I made a big mistake.
    tt13112d.aspxQWRVm7.pngDSC_0904-1.jpgDSC_0858-1.jpg
  • Options
    nervouswrecknervouswreck Posts: 379
    edited November -1
    I am very sorry that this happened to you. I also want to thank you for posting this,.. There have been women that really don't know what they could be getting into when they use Clomid, and the only sideffect that they think of is a BFP. Maybe they will give it more thought if they as a pp put , don't know if they have PCOS or other ovulatory issues.
    I hope that you start feeling better soon.
  • Options
    A&JA&J Posts: 1,825
    edited November -1
    I hope you feel better very soon. Thank you for sharing your story. I really think it will help others who are faced with similar decisions. Take care.
    th_img-191_zps90b22fea.jpg
    th_img-109_zps4769e6c4.jpg
  • Options
    2moms2be2moms2be Posts: 226
    edited November -1
    I really hope you feel better soon! i think your awesome that you shared your story! Thank you!
    Try#1 BFN Try#2 BFN Try#3 BFN Try#4 BFN Try#5 BFN Try#6 BFN Try#7 (after 8 months off) BFP!!! We are MOMS!
    475374_4381287044509_1614899970_o.jpg
    ojalm5.png
  • Options
    rspbryswrlrspbryswrl Posts: 136
    edited November -1
    My thoughts are with you and thank you for sharing... What is important is to get yourself healthy again in order to be a great mother that beautiful boy. Chin up and know that we are here for you, always.