Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

I feel ashamed

BabyBugsArrivalBabyBugsArrival Posts: 523
edited March 2011 in Trying to Conceive
Just wanting to vent for a min, too. We have been trying for a while to get prego. I actually have been trying off and on since Aug 2009. When DP and I got together I stopped for a few months, but she was totally on board, so we waited a short while and started again in Aug 2010. It hasn't worked for us...YET. And I'm beginning to accept that it MIGHT not work. I am still hopeful that it will eventually, but my attitude is changing. I'm going from hopeful to expecting to fail and I HATE to feel that way. I'm (normally) a very positive, thoughts become things, silver lining to every cloud, gratitude is the attitude kind of person.

But, what I feel most ashamed about is the fact that I'm starting to resent other people in my life for saying things or not saying things and, frankly, feeling like this fertility stuff is making me feel less connected to people who can't possibly understand what it feels like. Then, on top of everything, our friends in town, who use the same doctor as us, who got pregnant on their 3rd try back in December, announced that they found out they are having a girl yesterday. From the beginning, we were all so excited, went to dinner together alot, had coffee dates, talked about how excited we were to be trying at the same time. And they wanted a boy, SO BAD, and I've always wanted a girl. And now, they're having a girl. And, when she texted me last night (i've been preparing myself for this day) I felt everything from pure joy for them, to jealousy, to gutwrenching sadness, to waves of nausea. And, right about the same time I got her "yay, its a girl" message, I started bawling, had to interrupt my sister in the middle of a phone conversation and get off the phone, DP walked in from work and looked at me with shock wondering why I was having a breakdown, and I seriously felt like I was about to vomit. And I HATE feeling this way. I'm crying right now just thinking about it. I am really so super excited for them. They are very loving and wonderful people who deserve this joy just as much as I do. And it really is two separate emotions. I guess the joy I feel for them and their news was not enough to not make me feel my sadness at not getting pregnant after so many tries. And I guess these freaking hormones are only making me experience even more hard core emotions that run the extreme ends of the spectrum.

Okay, I'm done being sad and reliving it. Just wanted to put it out there. As much as DP tries to be supportive and encourage me, I know she doesn't fully understand how I feel...but I need to lean on her more and give her more credit and also acknowledge her sadness over this, too. You ladies go through the same things as me every single day and have experienced your own pain and sadness, joy and successes, so I knew you would understand. I truly am so happy for everyone who has already gotten their BFP and hopeful for those of you who are still patiently waiting, hoping, praying for yours. Sending out some love and hope for everyone on this ttc journey...I wish you all beautiful bundles of joy!!!
mommaandme-1.jpg

Comments

• Options
    mamamiamamamia Posts: 33
    edited November -1
    You certainly came to the right place (: And YES we do all go through it at some point! I have TTC for about 3 years and NADA! And thats ok for now- I have accepted that my body might be broken- (that being said I have PCOS so I know it is partly broken). My next door neighbor is a good friend of mine and it about killed me when she told me she was pg again. Not because I couldnt do it but because she waited so long cuz she didnt wanna hurt me- uh guess what you just did! We have talked alot about my feelings and it has helped me to explain how I feel to her so that she gets why its hard sometimes. I would talk to your friend and share with your DP - she will get it! and you can always come here! Sorry you are having a rough time! Know that it does get better! Hugs!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Mamamia (: I have PCOS, too...so I definitely understand your struggles. And I know what you mean about wanting to hear other peoples news and pregnancy joys, rather than them not tell you. It's so hard to explain and very complex. I have been at my current job for 3 years. A coworker got pregnant not long after I started. She knew I wanted a baby so badly and when she delivered her little girl said "okay, now it's your turn!". Then, 9 months later got pregnant again! And she called me into her office and was crying and said "I'm pregnant...but it's supposed to be your turn!" I really hated that she was sad for me because I was still so very happy for her...it's just one of those things that you have to process your feelings and talk yourself through it.

I know it will all work out exactly as it should. Taking it one day at a time and keeping the faith. Good luck to you!!! HUGS!
    mommaandme-1.jpg
  • Options
    mama2bemama2be Posts: 61
    edited November -1
    It's ok to feel this way! And for those of us who have been TTC for awhile completely understand! It is so hard to be geniune and happy for someone who gets what you so desperately want. For awhile I was like is everyone freaking pregnant besides us? Everywhere we went preggo ladies! And all the celebrities pregnant, pregnant, pregnant! UGHH!

Hang in there! Is all we can do is keep trying!

Jamie and Kristina
  • Options
    old mamaold mama Posts: 4,682
    edited November -1
    Yes, I agree it does get so discouraging. I've been at this solid for over two years. I got for a while this Oh, well it didn't work again attitude too. I think it's a thick skin reaction so you can handle that disappointment. Hang in there. Keep trying. I've let myself go on for this long time IF I can find some little thing to try differently...timing, meds, diet ect. Hoping for better news in the near future for you!
  • Options
    natlannatlan Posts: 72
    edited November -1
    My wife and I have been trying for a while and are currently on a small break (and while I still visit these boards every day, I really haven't had the energy to post much). I just wanted to let you know that there are lots of us who experience similar feelings and we're allowed to. This is probably one of the best places for you to vent, since there are so many of us in the middle of the same journey.

I struggle with feelings of jealousy and it drives me crazy because I have never, ever been a jealous person. It's such a foreign feeling to me and I hate it. Like you, I am truly happy for others who are pregnant and certainly don't wish any difficulties on any of them...but I sooooo want it to be my turn. I have a good friend/co-worker who is pregnant right now. She and her husband were trying at the same time as my wife and I were. Then, she got pregnant...I got pregnant...she miscarried...I miscarried. Her next cycle, she got pregnant again (with a sticky one) and I'm still not. She walks around the office with her baby belly and everyone squeals and congratulates her and I just sit and my desk and try to smile. She bounced up to me excitedly one day to show me her ultrasound picture, which was like a punch in the stomach. I just didn't have that protective guard up. Fortunately, I also work in the same office as my mom (who is incredibly supportive), so I tend to run to her for a quick reality check or hug.

I know all of the logical stuff. It can take a perfectly healthy couple a long time to get (and stay) pregnant. There is nothing physically wrong with me. This will happen for us when the time is right. Once we are holding our child, all of this struggle will be totally worth it. Still, it's impossible to control the immediate gut reaction of envy and sadness, so the best I can do is try to forgive myself for being upset and then focus on the future.

I know there is nothing any of us can say to make you feel any better. Just know that you're not alone...
    Us12.jpg

Cycles 1-5 = BFN, Cycle 6 = BFP (miscarried), Cycles 7-22 = BFN, Cycle 23 = BFP (miscarried), Cycle 24 = BFP...Twins!

tt18b4d0.aspx
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Natlan, I think about you alot...there are many of you that I have seen go through difficult setbacks and shocking losses in the time that I have been watching the boards. The miscarriages and ectopics have been so heartbreaking. As much as I want my own BFP, I hope and pray that you all get your BFP just as much as my own! I hope this small break renews your energy and spirit and allows some BFP magic to happen. Thank you for your words of encouragement. You are exactly right - I need to forgive myself for feeling upset and look forward to when I'll be having my own excitement for our ultrasounds and milestones.
    mommaandme-1.jpg
  • Options
    GaBeekeeperGaBeekeeper Posts: 916
    edited November -1
    I have gone thru the exact same feelings as you have. I started TTC in April 2009 at home and didn't got to an RE until March 8, 2010. But it wasn't until August 2010 until we did are first IUI. Along this journey I have turned 40 and I got really discouraged.
    My daughter had a baby and a friend of mine, her daughter had a baby also. It was really a rough time.
    But what really caught my attention is when people who would get pregnant, they didn't want to tell me b/c they were afraid it would hurt me. I had to call two friends up and let them know that I was OK with it and very happy about their pregnancy, One friend was also experiencing fertility problems and she got pregnant after I had my miscarriage.
    I just had to totally embrace it and really be glad for them. I think it really opened up my positive energy.
    Hope this helps.
    pqkom4.png
    FxZxm4.pngcarousel_zps296ade6d.jpg
  • Options
    mommylovemommylove Posts: 1,582
    edited November -1
    Don't give up...
    My wife and I started trying in Oct of 2008. We went through two miscarriages together that were simply heartbreaking. We are finally due to welcome our first child in just a few days...
    Never give up!
    be422225-267e-4ff7-94c0-a8d5baf3176a_zpse0970fea.jpg
    October 2014

Dk5Zm7.png

22gfm7.png
  • Options
    TrishlettesTrishlettes Posts: 674
    edited November -1
    Im with ya. Best friend from nursing school preggo a month after she stopped the pill. Happy for her truly. Right before katherine turned one ......... OOPS she is preggo again! This was right when my first IUI didnt work then I had the ectopic. She just told me this ones a boy.
    So hard to see patients come in preggo too. I work for a low income free clinic. Just had one woman opt for abortion (her second)
    Sometimes I feel so hopeful and Im watching the secret everynight, got my vision board full of baby stuff, wearing my st. Gerard the patron saint of pregnant women metal (Im serious) then other times Im so jealous I could spit green nails!
    54W9ZxL.jpg54W9m5.png
  • Options
    care&alicare&ali Posts: 362
    edited November -1
    wow.. thanks for writing this. I can relate to some of the feelings towards my DP as well. although this is our first time using an RE, this is not the first time i've tried to conceive. however, this IS her first time. I often feel like she just doesnt understand. in the beginning she wanted me to promise i wouldnt give up and that i would stay strong no matter how long it takes. truthfully, i couldnt make that committment. yesterday we had another US and my body is still not responding to the drugs. its so hard not to be anxious during every appointment. and its even harder to not feel heartbroken when things dont work out as planned. yesterday, i cried and i told her that i needed the space to be upset, and i had a right to be disappointed. that was the first time she admitted she was sad too. she's been showing this ultra-positive confidence for months now and it was the first time she acknowledged being human in all of this. we cried and hugged and agreed that we're definitely not throwing in the towel yet. i think all your emotions are normal.

also, i have a 19 year old nephew ( a pot head ) whose (ex)girlfriend gave birth to a baby girl (3 years old today), and to twin boys (3 months). She is with a new guy every month as my nephew is with a new girl just as often. before their daughter was born, she had 2 abortions. The year after her daughter was born, she had 2 more abortions. they had their boys, and she has since (mind you, they're 3 months old) miscarried another. i go over and over in my head how the universe or god or whoever could possibly give her all of these pregnancies while I have struggled off an on for 8 years. I'm a college graduate, successful, stable, tax paying woman, as is my partner, and yet we remain childless as of yet... i admit, i get angry... and i get sad. but i also believe that everything happens for a reason. i hope you're BFP is right around the corner. and PLEASE keep posting, because reading the posts on here helps me more than i can say. :)
    093bbc9d-2fa9-4ee5-9cf5-b9d31af5141b_4BW.jpg
  • Options
    cocobaycocobay Posts: 1,318
    edited November -1
    I just wanted to say that it is completely normal to feel jealous. Before I got my BFP I had quite a few friends that were pregnant or giving birth and I was so envious and wanted to be them soooo badly. I remember posting about it on here and the very next day after posting my jealous rant I got a BFP!! True story I swear!! It is going to happen. Don't lose hope. A friend of mine had been trying with her husband for 2 years, she was so fed up and had saved up enough for IVF. The month before her IVF cycle she got off all meds to relax and they stopped trying at home. That month she got pregnant and had $15k extra in the bank!! Now she is 13 weeks and was able to quit her job earlier than she had planned. Stay positive and hold your head high. Cry when you need to and laugh more than you need too!!! You have my support girl!! It will happen, just believe it!
  • Options
    GoobieGoobie Posts: 3,515
    edited November -1
    I don't now if aI can say anything to make you feel better, except for that it is very normal. Oh, and I wanted to send you HUGS, lots of big squishy hugs and hope that you are having a better day.
    tt125c22.aspx

Need to update a ticker, Silas Anthony Jordon born Oct 11, 2013. 6th baby, so much love!
  • Options
    nervouswrecknervouswreck Posts: 379
    edited November -1
    What you are going through is one of the hardest expiriences a person can have. There is no comparison.I agree that it really sucks when people are pregnant around you. I have had people tell me that they will hide it from me so that they don't hurt me. That hurts worse.
    I wish people could understand that our feelings are very complex and, altough are hearts are broken about or TTC issues we are happy for other people when they are pregnant especially if they have struggled.
  • Options
    poems0431poems0431 Posts: 337
    edited November -1
    Trying to get pregnant especially by using donor sperm can be tough. It can be emotional, expensive and isolating, especially when you don't have many people you can vent to who can truly relate to how you're feeling. Thank god for this forum! I am at a time in my life where everywhere I turn, someone I know is getting pregnant the "natural" way, so easy and effortless and most without even trying at all. Being human I do have my moments of frustration and breakdowns and worse of all I have to go through it alone because no one I know, knows I am trying to get pregnant.
    Every failed cycle takes a chunk of my happiness and I have never detested AF as much as I do now. Some just have to go through more than others, more pain, more disappointment, more time. Me I go through a lot each cycle. I will tell you about my experience this month. The ladies on FB know this story.
    I live in New York city and this state has very strict rules about donor sperm. One of them being it is illegal for sperm banks from other states, like Northwest, to ship sperm to New York and to me. Sperm in new york like everything else is incredibly over priced and the sperm banks require you work with a doctor to be able to make a purchase. Since I would like to have money left over to be able to care for my child, I am planning on being a single mom, I have nw ship my swimmers to Hoboken nj at a fed ex facility and held there for pick up. I have to take two subway trains and the path train to get there. This month of all times there was a parade going on. And I had to make my way through it with my swimmers taking baby steps because it was so crowded. A drunk girl crashed into me and the box fell and a guy vomited on my shoes barely missing the box. Then me and my box were packed back on the crowded train like sardines back to new york. You can't get much more crazy and unnatural than that. When I got home I cried, because despite being on a crowded train in new york city I've never felt more alone. Why do I go through this every month? Because my child is the end of the tunnel and that is the only thing giving me the strength and the will to get back on that train again if I am faced with another BFN this month. So ****HUGS***** to all the women with broken hearts still waiting on your BFPs. Remember why it is okay for your hearts to be broken. It'll all be worth it in the end.
    IT'S A BOY!
    1st beta 456 at 15dpo
    2nd beta 6000 at 22 dpo
    NuNSm5.png
  • Options
    PomsmomeePomsmomee Posts: 162
    edited November -1
    Wow, very honest, good thread. Poems0431...WOW, your story was AMAZING! I wish we lived closer, I would give you a great big HUG! Think of all we have to go through to get our BFP...it isn't always fair but it is, what it is and I choose to stay focused on holding MY child in my arms one day...One way OR another!
    Hugs Ladies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    STOP Puppymills and Irresponsible Backyard Breeders! Be a responsible pet owner:)
  • Options
    sugar&spice4mesugar&spice4me Posts: 28
    edited November -1
    I've had some of these same feeling.What makes me so mad is the people that say to me well at least you already have two kids or why do you want more kids you already have two both a boy and a girl?It seems like people have much less compassion for me because I already have children.Its still hard especially since I got pregnant so easily with my two children (on the first try with both) It hasn't been easy this time at all.It is taking a real toll on me emotionally and I don't know how much longer I can continue doing this.The only way I go on is by telling myself what if I stopped when I was trying for either one of my other kids than they would never be here and what a terrible loss/heart break that would be for me.I wish all you ladies luck in getting your BFP's and I'm glad I have someone to vent to.Thanks for listening.
    3rh1wdetf.png