Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Naming the baby??!!?!?!?!

STAR118STAR118 Posts: 17
edited November -1 in Trying to Conceive
Hello DP and I have yet to receive BFP! but want to know what/ whose last names did you use for your children? What can you name the baby legally? Has anyone let their DP actually adopt or is there a contract or agreement? We just want to know what others have done because we really haven't come up with what we are going to do!!

Comments

• Options
    miaandsabrinamiaandsabrina Posts: 723
    edited November -1
    We are in NC and can't legally be married, so last summer we went to a family lawyer and had my DP's last name changed to mine. So when we have our baby, he/she will have our last name and we plan on DP adopting baby. This however, is something I need to research b/c I am clueless with that.
    Our worlds collided and together we've been blessed with perfection!
  • Options
    A&JA&J Posts: 1,825
    edited November -1
    Lots of decisions for sure! My DP and I were both able to be put on our daughters birth certificate right at birth. We also used both of our last names and hyphenated (dp and I both wanted to keep our last names). At this time DP is in the process of adopting our daughter. We just had our home study (which I wrote about on the beyond side) and our court date to complete the process will be within the next month...most likely:). It is a good thing you and your DP are discussing all of this stuff now. It took us a bit to decide and get the ball rolling on some of these topics. Good luck!
    th_img-191_zps90b22fea.jpg
    th_img-109_zps4769e6c4.jpg
  • Options
    cocobaycocobay Posts: 1,318
    edited March 2011
    We are in Alabama and the only thing we are able to do is give Bronx DP's last name and do living wills and power of attorneys. We plan to establish a residency in FL because DP will be able to adopt him in that state and be put on the birth certificate. We are waiting a few years before we do that. I plan to change my last name to DP and Bronx's after he is born.
  • Options
    STAR118STAR118 Posts: 17
    edited November -1
    yeah that's the hard part! I don't want her to feel excluded! I just wanted to know how everyone handled it because it really can be a sensitive subject and neither of us wants to change our last name lol! W e both have acclamations, degrees and have somewhat established ourselves with our names. Decisions, decisions, DECISIONS!!!!
  • Options
    stwrrstwrr Posts: 455 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey Cocobay - Florida doesn't have a good Birth Certificate system yet. It still says Mother and Father, and there's no talk of changing it just yet... have you heard anything specific about this?

I know our birthing center is willing to put my partner on the Father line. But it might get kicked back by the Dept of Vital Statistics as not allowed. They did it once before, but with a couple where the partner's name "could" have been male. Jane's is most definitely not. Mine, however, could be, but apparently I HAVE to be in the mother spot.

Ahh well. One bit at a time here.

~ Sandy, from Florida
    407251321.jpg
  • Options
    PtownMomsPtownMoms Posts: 768
    edited November -1
    Monica and I are married. I took her last name (I have no connection to my last name really...except for that it's on my college degree). I'm the one that carried our daughter. In MA we were both able to be put on the birth certificate...but we went ahead and did the 2nd parent adoption anyway. We also have living will, power of attorneys, etc....just to be EXTRA safe. HA.

Here is a website that kinda outlines the laws by state. http://gaylife.about.com/od/gayparentingadoption/a/gaycoupleadopt.htm
    Carrie & Monica

sig_zps0be86692-1_zpse4fe5311.jpg
  • Options
    LKLK Posts: 711
    edited November -1
    Pretty much ditto what PTown said but we live in CT and I love my maiden last name. Our son does have DPs last name and we all have my last name as a middle name
  • Options
    mommylovemommylove Posts: 1,582
    edited November -1
    In WA state DP and I will both be listed on the birth cert when our son arrives (any day now). We have also initiated our 2nd parent adoption in order to ensure legality everywhere...I also wrote about this process more specifically recently on the beyond side.
    Our son also will have both of our last names, hyphenated.

There are a lot of decisions...good luck!
    be422225-267e-4ff7-94c0-a8d5baf3176a_zpse0970fea.jpg
    October 2014

Dk5Zm7.png

22gfm7.png
  • Options
    palegreenpalegreen Posts: 1,478
    edited November -1
    DP and I are both keeping our last names and our children will have both of our last names, NOT hyphenated. I have an apostrophe in my last name and I didn't think it would be fair to give our children the hassle of having two special characters in their last name to deal with. A simple apostrophe can be a very difficult thing to deal with in certain situations, so we thought we'd keep as simple as possible. So, using Rosie O'Donnell and Kelli Carpenter for example, our child's name will be "Baby Boy Carpenter O'Donnell"
    sig2017_zpsneeoat7k.jpg
  • Options
    JCAlaskaJCAlaska Posts: 251
    edited November -1
    We got legally married in CA during the few months in 2008 when it was allowed. Of course it isn't recognized in AK. We did all the legal paperwork to protect ourselves (power of attorney, wills, etc). I was also able to legally change my name using our marriage license as any new bride would! Social security didn't question it. So the baby will have the same name that we both have. And then we will have to go through the second parent adoption, which we don't know if it's possible here or not. We haven't been able to get any real answers on it yet.
    J & J in Alaska - 4th TTC created our little one. Miscarried at 10 wks 4 days on 12/1/10. Tried many more times then took a break for a couple of years to get healthy. We're BACK!! :)
  • Options
    fischfisch Posts: 570 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have you thought about combining your last names into one name? We had friends who did that and they both legally changed their last name to the new combined name. It seemed weird to us at first, but it makes sense now. It's fair, as it can be hard to give up your name.
    I took my wife's name. Even though I was professionally established I had one of those famously memorable names that didn't really have a positive connotation, with a slightly different spelling but phonetically similar to say, Tonya Harding (as an example). So I have always been ready to change my name. In fact, I couldn't wait to change it.
    age.png

age.png
  • Options
    First HopeFirst Hope Posts: 511
    edited November -1
    We hyphenated our son's name and it is really long. However today I accidently just wrote my last name for him and it just did not sound right. LOL We are willing to share each others names eventually (just the legallity) to match our sons. I already hypen our name on my checks, and some bills etc.

Good luck deciding. We don't have much in the way of equality in AZ. Maybe someday.
    tt13112d.aspxQWRVm7.pngDSC_0904-1.jpgDSC_0858-1.jpg
  • Options
    EMG_RELEMG_REL Posts: 2,379
    edited November -1
    This has been a big discussion for us. What we have decided on is this: Our son's last name will be my DP's last name, and I am going to hyphenate my last name to include both my name and hers. We live in PA and are not able to marry. I'm not quite willing to change my name completely because I do have a connection to it, and she doesn't want to change hers at all. She also feels very strongly about our son carrying on her family's name. We were originally going to hyphenate his name but decided to simplify it.
    wqr43o.jpg
    IRcim4.png
    iaXMm4.png
  • Options
    kimNebbykimNebby Posts: 40
    edited November -1
    This does give us all something to think about. My DP and I are married, but live in a state that doesn't really recognize it. She can't change her last name as she is an artist and soooooo......I am thinking about changing my last name, but am also a professional and would have to change my professional license, etc. She wants the baby to have her last name. If I change my last name to match hers/the future baby's, then I'd be a half-asian walking around with a Native American last name and would surely get lots of questions, who is your husband, etc. Lordy. So, I'm still thinking about it, but would like for all of us to have the same last name to make future things like school etc easier for the baby.
    kimNebby