Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

AI with ICI questions

em'smomsem'smoms Posts: 1,439
edited November -1 in Trying to Conceive
OK so last night we did our first at home AI with ICI after I got a trigger shot in the morning. Boy was it NOT ROMANTIC!! LOL!!
Anyway, here are my questions/concerns:
1) So on Monday night when DP looked at cervix with speculum it was easy to find, saw EWCM and saw an opening. Last night before we inseminated she had a much harder time finding it and said the CM was more clumpy looking, but did see an opening. Why would my CM have changed like that, could it have to do with the trigger shot and excess HCG???? Today it is whiter than prior to the shot.

2) Last night seemed to go well, did not leak and stayed in bed with hips propped for over an hour and then just slept until waking up to pee at like 2am, we did the AI at about 10pm. Today feel drippy, almost like I am leaking....is this normal? It is not a huge amount just a couple wet spots on my underwear and a wet feeling. I hope I am not losing anyone important!! We did use a small amount of preseed due to my weird CM and I was actually thinking we should use more (used like 1/3 applicator full last night, was planning to do 1/2 tonight) to help the sperm.

3) Tonight we have our second try, will be about 36 hours post trigger shot, DP really wants to use the speculum to help her direct the syringe to the cervix this time but I have read that when removing the speculum you end up potentially losing sperm. Thoughts?

Should I be worried about my CM situation? Use the speculum for the actual ICI or no? Following day leakage concerning? Should I use more preseed to counteract potential poor quality CM?

Thanks everyone! Oh, and I suppose officially my 2WW has started : )

Comments

• Options
    mommylovemommylove Posts: 1,582
    edited November -1
    CM changes a lot during the course of ovulation so I would not be concerned with that at all, but using the preseed will ensure for a nice environment for the swimmers as they make their journey.

After insemination leakage is totally normal. No worries there! By today the swimmers should all be far too deep inside to leak out truly.

If DP feels better using the speculum to ensure depositing the sperm near the opening of the cervix I say do it...you can always let the speculum sit in there for just a few minutes (closed) and then slowly pull it out. There is often some leakage but you can't worry about it too much.

And yes, congrats...you are in the TWW...relax and wait! :-)
    be422225-267e-4ff7-94c0-a8d5baf3176a_zpse0970fea.jpg
    October 2014

Dk5Zm7.png

22gfm7.png
  • Options
    KTZKTZ Posts: 1,240
    edited November -1
    I have only done IUI, but I will be doing ICI this month.

From what others have said I think part of the leakage issue comes from pushing the sperm out of the syringe too fast. Also if you get the syringe in farther than where the speculum and try not to get any on the speculum then hopefully the leakage will be minimized.

I am very interested in what others have to say about the leakage issue and how to avoid it.
    tt1254ac.aspx
    fFvYm8.png
  • Options
    peppyjdpeppyjd Posts: 114
    edited November -1
    Hi there....when I did DP's inseminations, I found that preseed helped prevent leakage. Also, I love the catheter....I use the speculum, put the catheter just inside the os, and then slowly pull out the speculum in the open position (I know...right? DP doesn't complain), with the catheter/syringe combo in place. Then I slowly depress the plunger....like 1/2 ml, wait 20 seconds, another 1/2 ml, wait 20 sec, and repeat. Since the bills are shaped like a spoon tip on the inside, I found they tended to pull out a lot of liquid when removed, so I only made that mistake the first time :(
    DP to 2moms2be
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Wow, peppyjd, that's pretty slick. I think I would worry about weather the catheter was still inside the os by the time the speculum was out... You sound like a pro!

I was so confused about the whole ICI process that I called NW and a couple of other places. I found out that if you dont get the sperm into the cervical canal (just passed the os) it is considered a IVI not an ICI....
    tt1254ac.aspx
    fFvYm8.png
  • Options
    edited November -1
    LOL...ok way too much info here, but with the bills open, you can kinda see that the catheter is still in place as you slowly start to remove the speculum. As you do that, the inner walls sort of start to collapse around the catheter, starting way back by the cervix and working their way forward, and I believe the collapsing walls just sort of lock it in place. Even if it dislodges a bit, it really cant be any different that just inserting the syringe blindly and depressing the plunger! NW seems to have been really generous with the ICI vials we got, so there hasn't been any room in the syringe for preseed. After plunging out the swim team, I leave catheter in place, pull off syringe, suck up some preseed, replace syringe on cather, and deposit about .3 ml of preseed, which pushes the rest of the swimmers out of the catheter, as well as some preseed. It was so nerveracking the first cycle! And BTW...the headlamp makes all the difference for the inseminator!
    DP to 2moms2be
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks peppyjd, seriously...

That is such a great detailed description. Best I have heard so far. Hope you get your BFP!
    tt1254ac.aspx
    fFvYm8.png
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Peppyjd, where are u in the process now. In the TWW?
    tt1254ac.aspx
    fFvYm8.png
  • Options
    edited November -1
    LOL!!! The THINGS we will post on the internet!!!! DP is in the TWW, at 5 DPO---we insemmed last Fri and Sat night. It was our 3rd time and we switched donors this time. FX for everyone in the TWW!
    DP to 2moms2be
  • Options
    PtownMomsPtownMoms Posts: 768
    edited November -1
    We pretty much removed the speculum like peppyjd did. But we did not use the catheter...just the syringe.

We basically sucked up some preseed into the syringe, then the swimmers, then more preseed. We also left the speculum in place for just a few minutes before taking it out.
    Carrie & Monica

sig_zps0be86692-1_zpse4fe5311.jpg
  • Options
    em'smomsem'smoms Posts: 1,439
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all the great info! We did our second last night, did not leave the speculum in, after looking DP took it out and just took a shot in the dark hoping she was aiming in the correct direction! Good news in that I felt definite O pains yesterday for the first time, between 3-5pm and my temp is up this morning so looks like our timing was perfect!!! Now to just be patient and wait!!!!
  • Options
    FlowergirlFlowergirl Posts: 2,040
    edited November -1
    Good Luck!!! Aww, the 'be patient and wait' part... so difficult!! :-)
    After 9 yrs & 1 devastating loss, we got our BFP at 9DPO ~ and welcomed our beautiful son on Halloween! Best treat ever!!

a3cmlv.jpg