Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

ahhhh. decisions decisions.....

ad612ad612 Posts: 389
edited November -1 in Trying to Conceive
ici vs iui

I know there are 500 posts about this but i am SO TORN on what to do. I have information overload from reading posts and random internet blogs, etc.............

any advice at all????????????? we are going to get 2 vials regardless just cannot decide which method is best. Im 30 with no fertility issues--non medicated cycles.

We did 2 at home IUI's a couple months ago that were a BFN... but the timing was way off. I didnt get a smiley and finally just had to use the samples to avoid sending them back. At least i know we can accomplish the procedure without too much trouble though....

We planned on giving it a go this cycle and we had a few things happen--so we are bumping it up to May. Which is fine.. ill be happy i will have another month to chart and help get the timing down even better........

but still cant decide!!

Comments

• Options
    coryandamandacoryandamanda Posts: 1,527
    edited November -1
    If you are actually comfortable with doing the IUI procedure at home then I'd go with that. But if you are only injecting into the area and not inside I'd go with the ICI vials.
    July 4, 2015
    image_2.jpgu
  • Options
    kyhome123kyhome123 Posts: 93
    edited November -1
    I will tell you what I did. I went with ICI vials because they are supposed to live longer and give you a better time range.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    yanno i think ill do one of each! ha. im like so overloaded.

while i am not a lesbian we did buy that ultimate guide to lesbian conception book--(you shouldve seen my moms face when she saw that laying on the coffee table!) and they do say thats a good idea. Id have to look at it again and i think the one youre sure is the best timing should be an IUI and then do an ICI so you have a little better time coverage.

its so hard to decide! seems like both work--so many pros and cons to both! i guess i should stop reading and just do one! and then switch it up if it doesnt work after a few tries.
  • Options
    coryandamandacoryandamanda Posts: 1,527
    edited November -1
    We actually did both in the same cycle. We were going to do just IUI but we had ICI in storage so we did both.
    July 4, 2015
    image_2.jpgu
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well thanks for the advice ladies
  • Options
    nervouswrecknervouswreck Posts: 379
    edited November -1
    i would do both if it were me.
  • Options
    RW17RW17 Posts: 197
    edited March 2011
    I'm glad I did ICI. Even with about 20 attempts with a speculum could never verifiably find the cervical opening. My midwife said she would have been shocked if we ever found it because of the angle of my cervix.

Also I liked having the longer life of the sperm from the ICI vials. Even with ICI our early insems (0, 12 hours after +OPK) never worked. I think it was the 40 hours after the +OPK one that worked.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yeah i think we are pretty sure it will be one of each. i think there are benefits to both methods... so using them both should help i would think! I also like ICI because of the higher counts and longer life... and IUI gets them right in there!

Ive been tracking my O's for 4 months... with the internet cheapies--which besides being cheap i like because the test lines show a progression. Mine slowly get darker and i know when there will be a positive test.

I think our timing is going to be the tricky part maybe. After my first positive test--its positive for at least 2 or 3 days! My gyno said to go by the start of the surge and it appears its about 18 hrs until i O after the first positve test. I usually get a single sharp pain then its just dull pain after--i think thats when it happens.

So now we stress about the timing... but i will probably do an ICI 12 hrs after when i get a positive and do the IUI 12-16 or so hours later.

thanks again ladies!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    oh and RW.... my cervix might as well have a flashing light on it! LOL. its right there dead center when you put the speculum in. My gyn showed me how to check the position also to help check for changes and its always like right there.... so i guess thats lucky for me